Install Problems

• I've been using OMV since it was first released, and while i've had a couple of issues, nothing like this before,it's generally been rock solid.

My setup consists of a HP Microserver with 4x HDD in the SATA slots, and OMV booting off a USB key installed in the internal USB slot.
    Over the last month I have burnt through 3 USB keys. WHen the first one went I was like 'oh well'. When the second one went days laters I was thinking I was unlucky. When the third one died I figured I should try a new tactic.
    I am now trying install OMV onto a USB HDD. I run the setup, and it goes through fine. However after install, it drops to the grub screen.
    I am installing from a USB thumb drive to the USB HDD.

The device I install to is /dev/sda during installation.
    Checking /boot/grub/devices.map has the correct drive listed as HD0.

When it drops to grub after install and reboot, i try to manually boot (linux /boot/vmlinuz... then initrd /boot/init.rd..... then boot) but that fails with an whole heap of errors (e.g mount:mounting /sys on /root/sys failedL No such file or directory)

If I run a rescue install, and get it to re-install grub, or run a grub-mkconfig, then it makes it even worse, dropping into grub-rescue mode on boot.

Any suggestions / thoughts would be much appreciated.

• I finally got some time to try this again. The grub install just screws up every time.

I managed to get it to boot manually, and a grub-install and grub-mkconfig fixed it all up. Dunno why it refuses to do it properly as part of the install though.

• I basically typed the following in Grub. You need to get your disks UUID. It should be listed in /boot/grub/device.map as well as in the /etc/grub/grub/conf.

In my case my disk was HD0, check by typing ls in the grub prompt

insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 5449b610-1111-4a37-b422-b52230de52b6
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64 root=UUID=5449b610-1111-4a37-b422-b52230de52b6
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64
    boot

• Offizieller Beitrag

The Debian installer defaults to putting grub on /dev/sda. If your "target" drive (ie, the one where you're putting OMV) is not /dev/sda, then grub install will fail. There *used* to be an option to choose your target drive, then at the end of the install, you could choose where you want grub to go. Now, the Debian installer changed, and you can no longer target where you want grub to go, it automatically goes to /dev/sda, and if your install disk is /dev/sda (it usually is) you will get a grub failed to install error.

The only way I've found to resolve this (beyond grub editing), is to disconnect ALL drives, except the USB install drive, and the drive where you will install OMV (be it a usb or internal ide/sata). This usually seems to resolve the issue and the "target" drive has always ended up /dev/sda for me.

Votdev briefly discussed it here... he agrees this is a bug, but it's a debian bug, not an OMV one.

http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=197

• Hi,

I thougth I know much about Linux and learned alot over the past 18 years ... but, I could not get this to run on my HP N40L. No way to get past that grub error.

I even removed all disks and tried with USB drive on its own - no chance. I tried to open a the shell after it bailed out, but could not get the grub-installer nor the grub-install command to run. Allways getting the same error and have no chance to deploy grub.

As I am getting sick of it, I tried even Lilo - with no luck.

So guys, how on earth did you install it? I did not even get the installation done. I am getting worried about my Linux skills. And Linux was the main reason to switch over from Nas4Free Project, cause I have no clue of FreeBSD and don't like the driver issues with Broadcom etc. pp.

Any idea?

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK... how exactly are you trying to install? From USB to USB, or CD to USB, or what? I've read various *minor* issues with those N40L's, not sure this is one of them however. If you're attempting to install to a USB thumb drive, just be forewarned the thumb drive's life is going to be very short (re: the original post in this thread).

Have you considered removing the hard drive from a home computer, and connecting the two drives to it (install drive and target drive), run the installer, then move the disk you install onto, over to the N40L?

• Hi KM0201, thanks for your reply.

I use a real 2.5" hard drive in a usb case and connected this case to different ports during my tests (the internal and an external USB port). With no success either.

I use the ILO board and install from CD (mapped). So the system boots from CD, all normal - USB drive will be recognized as /dev/sde (5th disk, sda to sdd are the SATA disks for Raid). No success with this configuration.

I then pulled all 4 SATA disks and configured the USB to be the first disk from BIOS perspective. From BIOS perspective it still get recognized as SCSI7 but as there is no other disk attached it will get /dev/sda. Still no success with grub installer.

I tried to run the install manually, by creating the chroot environment to /transfer (with mount -o dev /etc/pp) and then run grub-install /dev/sda. This also failed with the following error:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot (is /dev mounted?).

And yes, dev is mounted with -o option into the chroot environment

I also tried to change the device.map to show /dev/sda instead of the indentification name of the disk.

No success. I simply cannot get grub to install the bootloader to the hard disk.

I now will try to install the software in vmware first and then dd it to the disk. Maybe that helps.

• Okay, I build in the 3.5 disk drive that shiped with the N40L and installed the OS on it. Not the best way for saving energy, but it works.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, you have the easy answer then. You pulled your internal SATA drives, so simply remove the 2.5in drive from the enclosure, and hook it up to an internal SATA port (assuming its a SATA drive, remember, it should be the only drive plugged in).... let the install complete (this should result in a successful install). Once you're done, pull the 2.5in drive, put it back in the enclosure, and boot the USB. Once it successfully boots, shut down, and plug your internal drives back in. Boot back up, and configure everything.

• Hi KM0201,

I would not consider it as easy ... For now I stick with the physical drive as it is anyway recommended for now. So if the system matures, I may switch later on to USB key drive. For now I am good and happy.

Thanks again.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "SerErris"

Hi KM0201,

I would not consider it as easy ... For now I stick with the physical drive as it is anyway recommended for now. So if the system matures, I may switch later on to USB key drive. For now I am good and happy.

Thanks again.

Maybe I misunderstood, I thought you were using a 2.5in drive in an external enclosure (ie, an actual hard drive).. I wouldn't install to a usb key. As mentioned earlier in this thread, installing to a usb thumb drive is a good way to nuke a perfectly working thumb drive in no time.

• Yep, understood. I wanted to built it on USB key and then make it USB key friendly. There are some threads in here how that could be acomplished. Nevertheless I never got it to write grub to any USB device, neither to the key nor to the USB 2.5" disk.

What annoys me is, that I cannot find the key, why it is not working. But again - I surrendered and skipped it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, like I said, if you remove all internal drives, and only have the thumb drive (which has the installer on it) and the usb 2.5in drive connected, you should be able to install to the 2.5 and install grub there w/o any problems. Honestly, this should be really easy to resolve, I can only come to the conclusion you're doing something wrong, I'm just not sure what.

As for the minimizing the read/write tweaks... Keep in mind that's still a work in progress, and it's still not nearly perfected and you'll still nuke your usb key pretty quickly.

• Thanks, yes all undstood and agreed. Esp. I made something wrong ... what drives me crazy (drove me) was the fact, that I could not figure out what went wrong even with all other drives unplugged and the USB drive was discovered as /dev/sda. Still no success...

Anyhow appreciate your support. Thanks alot

• Hi,

I have exactly the same problem and it has cost me a day already right now and still not solved, it is very frustrating-

It used to work fine, i had installed OMV on a 2.5inch usb disk drive connected to the install usb port, worked fine for three months, till i needed to do some upgrade for which i needed to reboot and it never came up anymore.

So i started a fresh install of the OS installing from cd with all the raid disks disconnected install went fine as the usb disk is seen as /dev/sda but after reboot it it goes into grub rescue mode
    Searched tons of websites for recovery etc nothing worked used Debian rescue cd did chroot grub-install etc still same problem as you also tried.

downloaded older version 0.3 of OMV same problem and worse i tried installed debian from live cd same issue, i really am lost as it used to work fine.

I removed the disk and format it put it back new install same problem can not pass the grub rescue, same errors as you have

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you try changing the boot order in the bios?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• There is not much to change if i only have the installed usb disk in it and a cdrom drive for the install, the install goes fine in that way, but during first boot it always drops back to grub rescue ( still without the 4 RAID disks), i had a sleep over it and i am thinking maybe the MBR is corrupted or so, will try to wipe it with a dd today its very strange and the same behavior as SerErris had.
    I am also thinking if a BIOS setting can give this kind of behavior?

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "ArmandH"

There is not much to change if i only have the installed usb disk in it and a cdrom drive for the install, the install goes fine in that way, but during first boot it always drops back to grub rescue ( still without the 4 RAID disks), i had a sleep over it and i am thinking maybe the MBR is corrupted or so, will try to wipe it with a dd today its very strange and the same behavior as SerErris had.
    I am also thinking if a BIOS setting can give this kind of behavior?

That's the only thing that makes sense to me. Sounds like your old grub ended up a zombie on there somehow.

• Ok Quick reply i finally got it working again after almost two days of work and endless installations , it seems that for some kind of strange reason during install grub and /boot/grub gets corrupted, or it falls back to grub shell and have all the files in /boot/grub or it falls back to grub rescue and is not able to reach the files in /boot/grub.

So what did i do finally to solve it, i moved the cable from the internal USB drive to the USB connector at the back of the server, i was able to install and with reboot it fall back in grub shell (with and without raid disks) , after that i rebooted from debian 6 live cd (with raid disks) and choose text rescue then at the end you get the choose to select mount /dev/sde1 select that and run in the shell grub-mkconfig and update-grub -> exit, exit and reboot. Remove the cd and yes it booted finally up again.

Shutdown and put the cable back to internal usb slot , boot up and it still worked.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!