My Single Drive NAS Project

• Hi there,
    I´d like to speak about my project. Goal was to build a single drive NAS, which is performant, configurable and has a nice GUI.

Former NAS I had in my claws: :P

Synology DS-109+: Performed very nice, was EOL/EOS last year. Tried to flash an alternative firmware and broke it ---> Trash
    Zyxel NSA310: Still running with stock firm, lousy performance 20R/20W, no further FWs to await. May be rebuild with OMV or Arch, we will see...

Two weeks ago, some hardware was sorted out at work. I found this: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/276735/Hp-T5740.html#manual
    and the idea was born. I bought additional 2GB RAM (19€), a PCI-E eSata Card (10€) and had luck in finding a cheap PCI-E Expansion (see https://h10057.www1.hp.com/eco…rovisioner/05/AZ551AA.htm), needed for the eSata Card. Price was 20€.
    An IcyBox external case w/ eSata was laying around here and a 3TB HDD, too :D

My first experiences were with FreeNAS and NAS4free. Lousy performance, maybe due to ZFS, which runs not very well with 3GB RAM.
    Then I came to OMV. Installed in Minutes, runs like hell (90R/90W), nice GUI, superb support here. I´ll stay with that :D

So happy with this NAS :)

Bye
    Murphy

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• Some news...due to NIC Driver Update on Win 8.1 and BPO Kernel@OMV and changing Switch from TP-Link to Netgear:

NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
    Running warmup...
    Running a 400MB file write on U: 5 times...
    Iteration 1: 84,77 MB/sec
    Iteration 2: 84,77 MB/sec
    Iteration 3: 86,49 MB/sec
    Iteration 4: 74,85 MB/sec
    Iteration 5: 87,37 MB/sec
    -----------------------------
    Average (W): 83,65 MB/sec
    Running a 400MB file read on U: 5 times...
    Iteration 1: 116,89 MB/sec
    Iteration 2: 114,80 MB/sec
    Iteration 3: 112,78 MB/sec
    Iteration 4: 116,89 MB/sec
    Iteration 5: 115,32 MB/sec
    Average (R): 115,34 MB/sec

Have not seen any buyable single NAS performing like that :D

So happy me ;)

Regards
    Murphy

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

• I intend to build a system like yours, since i am short of resources so lookin for something similar. I can get my hands on one of those cheap "thin client" but i'm pretty noob about the other hardware so will search and take guidance from u as well. Can u please make a video or make complete/ detailed step by step guide as to how you setup this small home server. That will be a lot helpful for people like me. Thanks and waiting for your kind reply.

• Changed from eSata to USB3 due to a new HDD.

The case had to be opened for that, so I decided to replace the old, small, slow DOM. With what? Yes, with an SSD :D

What do you need for that?

1) This one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01FBJKYRS
    2) Cheap SSD. Found https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01MT4ARB6

Cut the edges from the adapter. It will now fit in the SATA-Port (and yes, you still can use PCI-E). Open the SSD-Case. Take out the PCB and put it in the adapter. Take out the old DOM. Build anything together. Don´t forget to enter the BIOS to set your new SSD as Bootdevice. Done 8o

Have fun :thumbup:

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

• Changed from eSata to USB3 due to a new HDD.

Hi. New here.

I have a pair of these T5740 thin clients one of which I have been running with OMV paired with a 4-bay raid enclosure that is connected via one of the default USB 2.0 ports of the thin client. It has been working flawlessly for a year or so with almost no down time during that period. However, since my enclosure (Mediasonic 4-bay proraid) has the usb 3.0 as connection (and also esata) I was thinking if I have been missing some faster throughput just by using the usb 2.0. So I looked for some ideas and I saw this post.

I'd like to ask if how did you do it. First with the esata then to usb 3.0. Did you just add the PCIE expansion module chassis then added pcie- esata card then eventually converted to pcie-usb card? Based on your experience so far which one is better (esata vs usb 3.0) in terms of 1) throughput and 2) transfer reliability? I'm asking because i thought i read somewhere that it's always better to connect via esata/sata compared to usb. The only reason I used the usb 2.0 all this time is because when i first set it up i did not want to mess with complications until i know for sure that omv will work for my purpose and since this particular client will just function as my second backup target aside from occasional torrenting work.

It's been a while since i first read the specs of all the different interfaces of this particular thin client but i kinda (vaguely) remember that doing esata via the available expansion slots is not that worth it due to bus limitations. Of course now I'm hoping i was wrong (or mis-read those posting) that's why I'm revisiting this issue after some time.

I hope you can clarify.

Thanks

PS: can you post here the stuff that you needed to add to do those mods?
    Just saw in your sig that you added the expansion chassis. Sorry about that. I guess I just need which pcie cards that you used.

Thanks again

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!