Change media name for HDD

• Hello I've just installed OMV and I'm working to get everything up and running nicely. I've currently got a 1tb wd green drive connected and formatted to ext4. I was looking around to see where the fs was mounted and found it in the media but the name is unwieldy is there a way to change it. Currently I have to browse to "/media/25a88a14-5666-483a-aed6-e1decc45a374/".

Any assistance would be greatly helpful.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can not change that name. The filesystem UUID is used as mount point to make sure it is unique. If you do not like this you can make a link to a more human readable directory for your purposes, but it is prefered to use the given name, otherwise you will get unexpected problems.

• Ok I understand the wanting a unique name why not use the Linux name and partition for the media device then like sdb2 or sdc1? Are the unexpected problems you refer to from possibly having the same name or are might I break links in place on the drive?

• Hi,

This question has been discused from the beginning of OMV, and the only 'real' solution for you is to create links if you reallydon't love the way it's done.

If you use SMB/CIFS to manage your datas, here is a script for you which mount your shares as local. (eg: /media/UUID/ShareName to /pool/SMBShareName).

/etc/init.d/mountsmb-locally

Hope this can help you

Cheers!

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups