[RESOLVED] My Openmediavault server has fallen over today

• First off, I am a complete Linux n00b - installing and (vaguely) maintaining the OMV build is the complete extent of my Linux knowledge.

I use Openmediavault (0.4.?) to run my media download and organisation tools (SABnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato), and also run Greyhole for replication of a Backup_SMB share. This build has been running rock solid for the last 16 months or so. OS is installed on a 40GB 2.5" drive that I salvaged from an old laptop, and data is spread over 3 x 2Tb 3.5" drives and 1 x 250Gb 3.5" drive (which came with the HP N40L).

I watch media via an Xtreamer Prodigy over wireless (solid concrete slab between ground and first floor), which has also been working perfectly (high bitrate movies very occasionally stutter, but nothing I can't live with).

This evening I tried to play back a media file on the media centre, and hit problems straight away. The Xtreamer reacts to unknown network streaming problems by restarting, so I knew something was up. tried restarting the wireless router - no change. Tried restarting the server - no change. So I got the laptop out and opened up a putty session to see what I could see ...

Noticed straight away that SABnzbd and CouchPotato were both giving SQL errors - checked and found that mysql service wasn't running and would not start, hence why Greyhole was not running. Then checked my NTFS data drive mounts with

Code
    mount

- they were all missing! Checked

Code
    df -h

and they were also missing there - last check was

Code
    fdisk -l | grep NTFS

, and finally saw them! Checked /etc/fstab, and noticed a conflicting mount entry for usb0, so commented that out. Also commented out my Box mount, in case that was causing some problems. Then another restart - NTFS drives are now mounting.

Code
    df -h

now yields this ouput:

root@openmediavault:~# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 36G 18G 16G 53% /
    tmpfs 943M 0 943M 0% /lib/init/rw
    udev 937M 144K 937M 1% /dev
    tmpfs 943M 0 943M 0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 943M 4.0K 943M 1% /tmp
    /dev/sdb1 1.9T 1.8T 115G 94% /media/AE5CE52B5CE4EED1
    /dev/sdc1 1.9T 1.6T 232G 88% /media/5626203F2620228B
    /dev/sdd1 233G 170G 64G 73% /media/2673E493021BFF5D
    /dev/sde1 1.9T 1.7T 215G 89% /media/034E5779491ACAB7
    root@openmediavault:~#

I wanted to access the web interface to check shares etc, but it won't open - Apache service is not running and fails to start.

Please help!

HP N40L
    2GB DDR3 RAM, 4 SATA HDD for 6.25TB of Storage

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von linux4thewin ()

• What does it say, if anything, when you try to start apache??

With df -h I was checking if your system drive was full but that is not the case:

/dev/sda1 36G 18G 16G 53% /

Show copy of your fstab...

Did you do anything when this started???

• Update: /var/log/syslog is almost completely full of lines like these:

May 23 22:54:32 openmediavault collectd[6232]: fopen (/var/run/collectd.pid): No space left on device

Which device is it referring to? All drives in the "df" seem to be quite healthy?

HP N40L

• Check apache logs in /var/log for errors.

edit: too slow

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• root@openmediavault:~# /etc/init.d/apache2 start
    Starting web server: apache2Action 'start' failed.
    The Apache error log may have more information.
    failed!

HP N40L

• With NTFS you should not go above 80 percent full for drive. With ext4 you should not go above 90 percent, but I think web-gui is blocked above 85 percent full. This is general rule. If these are NTFS drives they are very full. Please show your fstab.

/dev/sdb1 1.9T 1.8T 115G 94% /media/AE5CE52B5CE4EED1
    /dev/sdc1 1.9T 1.6T 232G 88% /media/5626203F2620228B
    /dev/sde1 1.9T 1.7T 215G 89% /media/034E5779491ACAB7

• HP N40L

• HP N40L

• Code
    rm /var/run/collectd.pid
    service collectd restart
    service apache2 restart

edit: there seems to be more problems than just that.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Does the nofail option work with NTFS ??

What drive has your mysql database on it?

This seems to be issues with the NTFS and the drives being so full is also an issue. You really should use ext4.

• Web interface, mysql and Greyhole back up and running - thanks very much!

The "nofail" option I think was from the Greyhole instructions, if I remember correctly.

I don't know which drive stores the database - how do I check?

Would you recommend freeing up more space - was that the cause of the problem do you think?

HP N40L

• I opted to retain the NTFS file system as an easier way of getting to the replicated data (pull out the drive and plug into Windows machine if necessary) - I will most definitely use ext4 as I replace the drives over time. Thanks a million for your help.

HP N40L

• NTFS is bad with space. They don't like to go above 80 percent full, period.

Honestly, if you have aother spare drives I would take the NTFS drives out. Then I would install .5 OMV. Connect one NTFS driive to a Windows machines and move the data to another drive. Once one drive is empty put it back in OMV. Format it ext4. The move data back to your OMV, from the drive you moved it too, through your LAN. This is big pain in the ass. You would have to redo your OMV. But NTFS is not best filesystem for OMV. You have more knowledge now. It is best route.

Or if you coudl take all NTFS drives out. Put the spare drive in and format ext4. Move data from an NTFS drive mounted on a Windows machine through your lan to the spare drive now on the OMV. Once data moved you take that NTFS drive and put it in OMV. Wipe it and format ext4.

Best advice ever. Get rid of NTFS on OMV. Sorry it is a lot of work.

• I understand how you want to be able to move drives back and forth. But NTFS just is not a good fit for linux. I think the ability to mount NTFS is just to make it easy to move data and not meant to be permanent on linux.

I would rebuild all the databases after an install of .5 OMV. .5 OMV is way better then .4 OMV. You might wait til OMV 1 is released. Your drives are full man. Do not add more data or you will have more issues.

PS- This is only drive where you should be able to add some data.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!