Dynamic DNS

• I am a recent user of openmediavault. and I'm enjoying it because it is very fast and intuitive.
    But I have a little problem. How do I can to access the FTP via Internet in which there is a dynamic ip? For example in FreeNAS there is a specific area to set up a DDNS.
    Can someone help me?
    Thank you and sorry for my bad English,
    José Crispim

The problem in today's world is that the intelligent are full of doubt and some idiots are full of certainties. The intelligent are called undecided the idiots are called experts

• Most of us don't use OMV to setup a ddns service. It works well to put it on your router. What router do you have and do you know if it has the ability to add various ddns services? On OMV you could use ddclient. But I recommend your router. Routers are very low power and not everyone runs their OMV all the time.

Don't worry about your English!!!

PS- I use ASUS, or Linksys, routers and put DD-WRT firmware on them. The DD-WRT firmware allows me to use dydns service.

• Tanks for your answer
    My router is an TP-Link TL-WDR3600. It don´t permit various DDNS and don't have ip redirect for that; ie, only permit setup an DDNS for USB devices attached to the router.
    My router is compatible with DD-WRT but is under warranty and is not very convenient to install. In the past I had a router (Netgear WDR-3600) with DD-WRT running for quite a while, but a corrupted update firware "killed" the router. For this reason I haven't great confidence in that.
    How do I install and setup ddclient? I Try it, but don't works.
    Thank you for your sympathy
    Best Regards
    José Crispim

The problem in today's world is that the intelligent are full of doubt and some idiots are full of certainties. The intelligent are called undecided the idiots are called experts

• My Friend
    Thank you for your patience, but it works fine. It is only one mistake of my part. In the case of my router e need to put of the FTP, because the FTP is for the usb external disk. And then I hava acess for DDNS of the router.
    I'm not a layman in the field of networking, but sometimes I make mistakes.
    For now I'm testing the OMV in virtual box, but soon I will install it on a physical machine.
    Since I'm planning lessons that I will teach (I'm a professional trainer and consultant) I'll make a tutorial and publish it in my site for my students such as this I was make for freenas http://www.jose-crispim.pt/art…armaz_art/05_freenas.html (still not translated into English).
    I'll probably have questions regarding the mediaserver, but if so I wonder.
    thank you very much
    greetings

• Ok
    Thank you very much for your expressive tutorial about FTP setup.
    "Good News" (eheheh) I install DDWRT in my router. I like DDWRT to, but an corrupt firmware (brianslayer firmware) "killed" my previous router (Netger WNDR3600). Bad Luck, patience, our learning must have cost.
    In that things of open source the problem is find reliable help. Or appear the fanatics of command lines (which in most cases does not solve anything), or autodidacts who say "try this ..." or "goggle search", etc Get help with open source forums is a task frustrating most of the times.
    For example DD-WRT. I do not use ddw-rt 3 years ago. I install it, setup lan (with fixed ip I want in my desktops), setup Wi-Fi with all security requirements, reboot and... My external disk don't appear in the network. Why? Searching in google and in the DDW-RT foruns for similar questions the answer is command line, command line..
    But the problem was solved with a firmware version of 23 May. I upgraded and it worked fine.
    honestly I'm completely lost with OMV. I can not make a bootable USB pen to install on a desktop of testings I have. I tried with rufus, unetbootin, universal usb installer, and do not make the boot. I test the boot in my others desktops (I have 3 and 2 laptops) and don't work.
    But If "he does not fight" is not funny (eheheh)
    Thanks again

• I've never bricked a router with DD-WRT. But I make sure I read some threads, for the router in question, before I install. DD-WRT can be difficult to install. I just looked at my router. It has 222 days of up time since my last reboot. It's been damn stable.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!