(HELP) Need some instructions for iSCSI

• Hy!! I'm a new user, and I'm exploring the world of openmediavault because i'm considering tu build a little server with omv on it, so i'm trying omv on virtual machine, everything works fine and the sistem is really stable and fast, so i installed the iSCSI target that interests me. I'm able to create a shared hard drive but i have some questions:
    1) How to set up the authentication, i'm able tu share teh disks with no authentication but when i set up an incoming or an outgoing password i don't know how to set up win 7 to connect to the drive (is ita a chap authentication?)
    2) when i share the same hd on 2 pc's i'm able to read and write files but if i erase some files on the iscsi drive on pc A i'm still able to see those files on the iscsi drive from pc B why that?

Sorry for bad english i'm italian but i understand also german so if you want to answer in german no problem for me.
    Thank you!

• iSCSI should not be used for the 2 machines for the same disk, because you may experience errors and problems with files. Already a better use for this SMB (for windows and Linux) or NFS (for Linux)

I know that the world does not expect the us to many. It is sufficient that you answer yourself a very important question: what I like to do in life, and then start to do it.

HP N36L Microserver 60GB SSD + 2x 250GB HDD + 2x 1TB omv 3.0.X 64 bit - 3.16 backport kernel
    Banana Pi + 16GB SD + 500GB - test platform omv 3.0.X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    Banana PRO + 8GB SD + 320GB - test platform omv 30..X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    SimpleNAS project - OpenMediaVault and Case for Banana Pi/PRO/M1/M1+/M3, LM Guitar

• iSCSI should be slightly faster. But iSCSI is dedicated as providing disk for one machine only.
    SMB is a good solution if the same resource is to use more than one computer.

Look http://jpaul.me/?p=787

I know that the world does not expect the us to many. It is sufficient that you answer yourself a very important question: what I like to do in life, and then start to do it.

HP N36L Microserver 60GB SSD + 2x 250GB HDD + 2x 1TB omv 3.0.X 64 bit - 3.16 backport kernel
    SimpleNAS project - OpenMediaVault and Case for Banana Pi/PRO/M1/M1+/M3, LM Guitar

• thank you for the good explanation!!
    Unfortunately i'm not able to set up any security option on iSCSI so i perfectly see the drives but i can connect to them with no use authentication... i thougt it would be easy to set up a chap authentication like on freenas or nas4free but i wasn't able to set it up because i only see outgoing and incoming authentication, so if i set up an authentication on the server i do not know how to set up the iSCSI initiator on windows, i know how to change my "user" but i don't know wher i have to set the password

• Never use iSCSI at home so I do not know how it looks like a case of collateral. From what I see the access is by using passwords and usernames.

Look here http://blog.openmediavault.org/?p=290

• Zitat von "cyryllo"

iSCSI should be slightly faster. But iSCSI is dedicated as providing disk for one machine only.
    SMB is a good solution if the same resource is to use more than one computer.

You should be able to connect as many machines as you want to it - as long as you're using a clustering filesystem like ocfs2 or vmfs (like on VMware).

Bradley D. Thornton
    Manager Network Services
    NorthTech Computer
    http://NorthTech.US
    TEL: +1.760.666.2703 (US)
    TEL: +44.203.318.2755 (UK)

Registered Linux User #190795

- "Ask Bill why the string in [MS-DOS] function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that." - Dr. Gary Kildall.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!