Is there a RSync Tutorial, anywhere?

• Hello everybody.

Currently i am using openmediavault 0.3.0.17 on a box here in the office.
    I am a newbie to this RSync utility. I am trying to set this up.
    Currently the OMV works fine with the shared folders and from our 3 W7 boxes we can see and use the shared folders.

The idea is to copy from our W7 boxes to a specific shared folder in "*.tar" file every night.
    I have beeing trying it using these 2 links to figure out how te set this up.
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/ph…/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=847
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/ph…/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=672
    But no luck so far. :shock: Both W7 boxes have a fixed IP address. Is there any small tutorial as how to set this up?
    Shouldn´t be that hard, no :?:
    Can anyone help me out here, plz :?:
    Many thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    Paco

• Good morning Ivaylo.
    thanks for the links. Yes that can be helpfull.
    my specific situation is the following.
    I want to make a daily backup of c:\backup (W7)
    for this i used the following command.

Rsync Job established
    Service: Enabeled
    Comment: Get stuff from a W7 box
    Type: remote
    Source Server: rsync::/192.168.1.50:873/backup
    Destination shared folder: Folder-E
    Password: N/A

- The W7 has a fixed IP address
    - The W7 has no user established, thus no need to place user name in the line
    - On the W7 the FW is turned of (or when i turn it on the port 873 is open, both for incoming as outgoing traffic)

Executing this command i get:
    rsync::/192.168.1.50:873/c:/backup: No existe el fichero o el directorio
    Translation: No file or directory available.

Any idea what could be wrong here?
    Thanks in advance.
    Paco

• Hello Paco,
    I am not RSync expert and therefore I am not going to even say that I have some experience with this process.
    Reading what you have posted here I see at the beginning that :
    ""
    Source Server: rsync::/192.168.1.50:873/backup
    Destination shared folder: Folder-E
    ""
    RSync is a Linux communication process and as such it does expect clear specification where the source is, where the destination is, account used to establish this connection as well as proper communication ports. Also based on the post i assume the folder backup from the source is a shared folder and the destination Folder-E is ?????? unknown to me.
    Little later within the post I that the path in the error message is different from the source path.
    Source Server: rsync::/192.168.1.50:873/backup <---> rsync::/192.168.1.50:873/c:/backup: No existe el fichero o el directorio which tells me that something is not quite accurate with the syntax of the command.
    Last but not least, it would be interesting to tell the source where you are initiating the process from. Is it from the W7 or from the Destination?
    Ivaylo

• Hello Ivaylo.
    Thanks for your quick reply ;)

My Job configuration:

Based on this image, the idea is that the source is the folder called "c:/backup", on the W7 box
    The destination should be the shared folder called "Carpeta-E"
    My Module configuration:

Last but not least, it would be interesting to tell the source where you are initiating the process from. Is it from the W7 or from the Destination?
    The process is initiated from the Destination (which is the OMV server with the shared folder to where the data must be copied to)

Does this help /clarify it a little?
    Hoping to hear from you again.
    Regards from a (too) warm madrid :(
    Paco

• Hola Señor,

Following this link: http://troy.jdmz.net/rsync/index.html
    I was able to use RSync between a Fedora17 (source) and OMV (destination). I am uploading a snapshot of the two command line interfaces.

Unfortunately I was not able to use the OMV GUI to reproduce RSync process between the same two machines.

I will try some other tricks and will see how far I can go.

Regards from too humid Washington DC
    Ivaylo

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!