[solved] Cannot Add Folders to Plex Media Server Sections

• Hello,

I have a working installation of Open Media Vault 0.5.48.
    I thought i would install plex media server. It all went well, installed properly, I can use the web management and all that.
    But I cannot add any sections in the Library. I select the name, the type and the folder, I click Save and nothing happens. Just a progress wheel starts appearing for only a fraction of a second then it comes back to the add section and thats that.
    I started modifying permissions and such, I gave the plex user read write permissions to the folder where I have my movies.
    If there is any information you might need just tell me, I'll try to get it here (My knowledge of Linux is somewhat limited, but there's always Google).
    What should I do to make it work? I cannot change the owner of the folder, since transmission will probably stop working.

Here is a screenshot of what I was talking about.

• Those are torrents downloads??? They do not have the correct permissions. You should create another shared folder and share it via SMB/CIFS. Move the files there and then change into the directory. Then:

chown -R root:users *

The files downloaded via Transmission are chown debian-transmission:debian-transmission

• I did this, with two different folders, and it still doesn't work.
    I made root the owner, but if I look in the ACL configuration page, the user plex does not have any permissions. Must I change something there too?

• Change directory to one level up from the shared folder where your media is and do this:

cmod -R 775 nameofmediafolder

You don't need to use acl. Also, plex only needs read permissions on the folder and this is what the 5 does in the chmod command. Don't even mess with ACL. You don't need it to run plexmediaserver.

• The plexmediaserver folder should be:

chown -R plex:nogroup plexmediaserver

What folder are you trying to hook up in plex media server now? Before I see it was /trr/downloads.

• Before I was trying to do add the downloads folder in plex library. I understaood that cant be done because of transmission. So I made a new folder, plexfiles so I cna put files in there from where I can add to the library.
    The plexmediaserver folder was made by the plugin installation with those permissions, I did not change anything on it since I saw there are certain files that might be needed by the server itself.
    I changed the plexmediaserver permissions too. Still the same problem.
    I got to the log files from plex:

It seems like it finds no files or folders there, even if there are. But even so, ok, it sees there are no files or anything, why not just let me add the folder. It is supposed to add the folder and monitor if there are any changes in it.
    Please correct me if my reasoning is bad. Th permissions on the config file of the plug in may be broken or something? If that was the case, why does it save any other settings, except the folders I'm trying to get it to monitor?

• Here it is:

• That's a problem I'm not even getting to. In the first screenshot I posted, you could see the dialog box from Plex Media Server with which you add new sections. That dialog box never closes unless I click Cancel or the X to close it. It never saves.
    I'm sorry for bothering you guys with this, but I don't wanna make too many changes that might alter the system all together.
    It's not urgent or anything, and if it cannot work, I can accept that. I couldn't find any topic or post relevant to this problem.

• Do this:

apt-get --purge remove openmediavault-plexmediaserver
    userdel plex
    rm -rf /media/97cacdff-6570-4453-a00d-8c552818f33c/plexmediaserver

Then reinstall the plexmediaserver plugin and try to add the plexfiles folder.

• I noticed some stuff. I am starting to think that ACL may break normal perm (chmod). After reinstall I would remove your shared plex files folder from SMB/CIFS and the delete it in share folders. Then create again. Don't use ACL on it. People are using ACL to much and don't understand it. You don't need ACL for a good shared media folder and plex media server. You just need privileges (chmod) on the shared folder for the users you want to use with it.

BTW- you messed with acl and other stuff on every folder I saw, and other things like chown. If you are messing that much with PMS you are doing something wrong.

PS- I don't use ACL at all. And I run way more things here then 95 percent of people on forum.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

PS- I don't use ACL at all. And I run way more things here then 95 percent of people on forum.

I never use them either and I have a *lot* running on my server at work.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes I did experiment a little with ACL at some point. I could not get the result I wanted so I let it be and undid most of the changes I did.
    Anyway, the problem is solved.
    Before posting here I tried reinstalling the plugin but I did not do it from the shell.
    After running the commands you told me to, a message amongst the command line that I did not see before appeared. It was telling me that some additional plug ins can be removed with autoremove. I did not do that before. After removing those too and reinstalling everything, it worked. And now I can add any folder I want, even those mde by transmission.
    So thank you for your help and have a nice day!

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

I noticed some stuff. I am starting to think that ACL may break normal perm (chmod). [...]

ACLs are additions to the normal filesystem permission and therefore should not break any permissions, except a faulty ACLs configuration which may deny rights for some users. But then it is caused by due to a misconfiguration and not the ACLs itself.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!