Network freezes on file transfer

• Hello,

I have a little server (acer h340) running the latest openmediavault and 3X3TB of data disks, this setup has served me well for a couple of years now.

However, all of the sudden I have problems where the NAS loses any network connectivity on file transfers.
    I tried to transfer a file from the OMV server to my PC.
    Everytime it freezes (at random points in the transfer), and the OMV seems to have lost all network connectivity. I can't even PING it anymore (neither inbound or outgoing).

So far I tried:
    -Transfer the file to another pc
    -Transfer other files from other disks
    -Transfer using SMB, FTP and SCP

Everytime the problem occurs. So I'm already sure it has nothing to do with the client pc, the file or hard drive and the protocol.

On the screen attached to the server, I get no error messages and neither does something special pop up in the syslog....

Thought it might have something to do with the NIC, however browsing the filesystem using any of the protocols or working with the OMV admin panel remotely seems to work just fine.

I'm really all out of ideas, so I hope anyone here knows what it could be.

• 1. you can try

Code
    tail -f /var/log/dmesg

locally and then transfer some files. Maybe there are some changes, R/W-errors or something ...

2. Put your system-drive in another PC with Linux/LiveCD and run fsck.ext4 on it.

3. Dying HDD?

• Thanks for your reply.

I've ruled out hard disk problems, as no matter which hard disk I copy from, I get the same problem. Also, both SMART and fsck indicate no problems with any of the disks
    I also connected my pc directly to the server, to rule out problems with switches in between.

So I'm kind of leaning towards a problem with the NIC, however the DMESG log doesn't change on or after the failure. ethtool also shows no indication of a problem and the route tables and ip configuration is valid.

I can still transfer small files (couple of MB), but as soon as I transfer a bigger file, it dies somewhere in the transfer. When this happens, the entire TCP/IP stack seems to be out as even ping doesn't work on the server ('destination host unreachable')

• Zitat von "sebak"

Thanks for your reply.

I've ruled out hard disk problems, as no matter which hard disk I copy from, I get the same problem. Also, both SMART and fsck indicate no problems with any of the disks

This still doesn't rule out your OS Disk. You sure its fine too?

Zitat von "sebak"

I also connected my pc directly to the server, to rule out problems with switches in between.

Good.

Zitat von "sebak"

So I'm kind of leaning towards a problem with the NIC, however the DMESG log doesn't change on or after the failure. ethtool also shows no indication of a problem and the route tables and ip configuration is valid.

You could check both syslog and kern.log too where errors like that could show up too.

Zitat von "sebak"

I can still transfer small files (couple of MB), but as soon as I transfer a bigger file, it dies somewhere in the transfer. When this happens, the entire TCP/IP stack seems to be out as even ping doesn't work on the server ('destination host unreachable')

Check again with viewing the other logs too ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I recently built a machine that im currently using for OMV only. It has 2 ethernet ports on the MB. so its why I choose it this MB for the build. But after installing OMV, I had that same problem you are having. Transferring files, and also to login to OMV in the browser was taking really long. So I just put a Nic card in the PCI slot, and now my speeds and everything are back to normal. and I can login to the browser fast...So yea the NIC is the culprit

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Solo0815"

Please try to install a newer Kernel:
    3.2 on OMV 0.5 and
    3.14 on OMV 0.6/1.0

It could be a kernel/driver issue.. but I doubt it. He says he's been using this server "for years" in the OP... so my guess is, whatever the problem is, it is hardware related.

Not to be overly simplistic, but have you tried replacing the NIC cable? I had an issue like this on one of my PC's not to long ago. I bought a new NIC card, and when I removed the NIC cable to install it... I noticed a crack in the head of the CAT5 cable and a few of the wires were "dented" inside the head. Not really sure how it happened. It had obviously been stepped on, ran over, or something.

Went and picked up a new cable, and it worked perfectly.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!