iTunes/DAAP/Apple TV 3

• Hello to all friends of OMV!

Because that's my first post, I wish to thank Volker Theile and all co-workers for this great peace of software; and all forum members for their help answering questions.

I'am running OMV on a dedicated server, originally build to be uses as OS X Hackintosh Server; and it's main purpose is, to serve multimedia to my Apple TV 3.
    I got OMV 0.5.49 up and running and also the iTunes/DAAP plugin openmediavault-forkeddaap 0.6.5. Only, my Apple TV 3 doesn't see the OMV server, whereas my OS X desktops all see OMV inside iTunes perfectly.

My question is: Is it possible to use Apple TV 3 as client to OMV?
    If Yes, do I have to do something special here?

May thanks to all
    rale

OMV 0.5.49 - sadaukar // Hardware: GIGA Byte GA-H77-DS3H, Intel Celeron G540, 5 x 2TB HDD Raid 5

• Offizieller Beitrag

Look into the plex plugin and plexconnect.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• May thanks for this quick response.

Do I really have to install a full plex media server onto the machine and the plex mediaserver plugin into OMV and plexconnect ?

Will OMV 0.6 will support ATV 3 out of the box?

If so, I will probably wait for that solution.

rale

OMV 0.5.49 - sadaukar // Hardware: GIGA Byte GA-H77-DS3H, Intel Celeron G540, 5 x 2TB HDD Raid 5

• No. There is currently no solution to get media from OMV (or from any other NAS) to an Apple TV. 0.6 will also NOT support it.
    Some workarounds:
    - virtualbox with windows and itunes
    - plex plugin and connect (like aaron said). I´d take this one. Cause with Plex you can watch all your content on all your devices. Very comfortable.

• Thank You WastlJ and
    Thank You ArmandH also for the link to plexconnect.

I have read about plexconnect, but that solutions is to cumbersome to me. In time for the FIFA WM, I bought a new TV and it supports DLNA. So Apple TV 3 is going to retirement and I'll organize my media data in OMV such, my TV can access the files easily.

Many thanks again for Your answers. I'll be tuned to OMV.

rale

• I´d still look if there is no plex client available. samsung tv´s for example have such a client.
    If not, use DLNA. ATV3 is too limited imho - and I use almost everything from Apple ;)

• You are absolutely right, WastlJ, ATV3 is too limited, but it was a quick and cheap solution to connect my stone aged TV. Never used any online service, just my own multimedia data.

And no, there isn't support for plex in the sony tv I bought, just Miracast and DLNA.

Maybe some Time I will invest into an Apple Mini to be used as HTPC. It's small, powerful, pretty quiet and does support Apple Remote. Even without FrontRow, there are plenty of HTPC solutions to run on OS X.

rale

• Offizieller Beitrag

Plex is DLNA also. Works well with my Sony boxes.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• ryecoaaron
    I do not see any advantage in using a heavy weight plex media server side by side to OMV, just to get DLNA, which OVM supports by it's own.

rale

• Offizieller Beitrag

Plex offers quite a few more features (like transcoding, sorting by actor, year, etc) than minidlna. Both plex and minidlna have plugins which are supported equally by OMV.

I have run plex without issues on slower systems than your signature system. I also have minidlna, plex, and twonky on my home server (development reasons). From a small test, this is most I found each using for memory:

twonky - 20 mb
    minidlna - 120 mb
    plex - 440 mb

Plex is high but it transcodes. I still prefer twonky over minidlna and plex because of its speed even though it is a paid product (and the reason I never created a plugin for it).

• ryecoaaron
    So You suggest to install plex side by side to OMV, disable DLNA in OMV and let plex serve the media, right?

Is this thread still valid to install plex onto the OMV 0.5.49 system?

I'll give it a try, if I get some spare time.

rale

• Offizieller Beitrag

The first line of the thread is valid which says a plex plugin is available. OMV does not include DLNA. You have to install the omv-extras plugin to get the minidlna plugin. By installing omv-extras, you can check the plex checkbox on the secondary page. This will allow you to install the plex plugin. Try both of them. See which one works better for you.

• Oh yes. I already installed omv-extras and minidlna plugin.
    But to use plex, I need not only to install the plex plugin for OMV, but the plex media server itself, right?
    How to do this? Using the ubuntu package from plex.tv page?

rale

• Offizieller Beitrag

The plex plugin installs plexmediaserver just like the minidlna plugin install minidlna. That is all you need to do.

• Thanks a lot ryecoaaron.

Just installed plexx and it's up and running. Now I have to configure it and test how my TV will handle the new DLNA server.

But as alway, time is fleeting.

By the way, well done on tuesday, 2:1 against Ghana :) . I wish You good luck for monday against Portugal.

Seeing forward to meet You on thursday, 26th in Brazil ;)

rale

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!