degraded -> rebuild -> missing raid/filesystem

• Hello experts,

after the read and write speeds of my nas degraded fromr like 90/60 to 60/30 i checked my raid in the web-manager ....

one hdd was missing in the raid config and the status was degraded .... well i tried to reintegrate (rebuild) the "missing" HDD - did not work - an error message occured ...

so i fast wiped the hdd and tried the rebuild again and voila - it worked ..... for some time ...

after about 2 hours i have got the authentication error message - left click to relogin and - Raid infos and filesystem info is empty ....

i am using omv 0.5.48 amd64 krnl 2.6.32.5 - the raid-level is 6 and there are 12 3GB WD red hdds.

i am willing to send some logs - there is a series of error messages in the smart log .... if you need more infos and logs please tell me which ones.

how can i fix that ???????????

cheers - alex

• okay here they are ;)

cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities :
    md127 : inactive sdb[0](S) sdj[9](S) sdk[10](S) sdl[13](S) sdm[12](S) sdi[7](S) sdh[6](S) sdg[8](S) sdf[4](S) sde[3](S) sdd[2](S) sdc[1](S)
    35163186720 blocks super 1.2
    unused devices: <none>

$ fdisk -l
    -dash: fdisk: not found
    $ fdisk
    -dash: fdisk: not found
    $ blkid[/quote]
    -dash: blkid[/quote]: not found
    $

no idea about the -dash .... : not found

mayby you can guide me - ssh client to use and any specific settings in omv - thx

• Offizieller Beitrag

You must not be logging in as root? Use putty for client.

To fix array, try:

Code
    mdadm --stop /dev/md127
    mdadm --assemble /dev/md127 /dev/sd[bcdefghijklm] --verbose --force

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hallo,

as addendum i am adding the two log-files of fdisl-l and blkid :

sorry for too many lines and thanx - alex

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

You must not be logging in as root? Use putty for client.

To fix array, try:

Code
    mdadm --stop /dev/md127

hello,

will that code recover the files and the filesystem ???
    and shall i fully wipe the "hdd" that caused the trouble in the first place for bad block relocation ???
    or shall i just reassemble the array mdadm --assemble /dev/md127 /dev/sd[bcdefghijkl] --verbose --force and then try to recover the original raid 6 ???

thanks in advance - alex

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wiping the drive doesn't remove the mdadm superblock. You may need to add the following statement if you know which drive is bad (replace X with the proper drive letter):

Code
    mdadm --stop /dev/md127
    mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdX

This should fix everything back to raid 6 with the filesystem intact after it finishes syncing and then reboot.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Wiping the drive doesn't remove the mdadm superblock. You may need to add the following statement if you know which drive is bad (replace X with the proper drive letter):

Code
    mdadm --stop /dev/md127
    mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdX

This should fix everything back to raid 6 with the filesystem intact after it finishes syncing and then reboot.

hello again,

using the --zero-superblock caused an arror in the next command but at least i have got back my degraded raid and the filesystem --- thank you so much !

i am now wiping the hdd with the omv built in random writes - then i will check the hdd with spinrite 6 and then i will decide if it is an rma case ....

cheers and thank you soooooo much again - alex

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!