Problem while installing OMV from USB Drive

• Hello,

i'm trying to install OMV 0.5.48 amd64 (also tried i386) from USB Drive (already tried some others) with UNetBootin. When I boot the drive and choose install, the led from my keyboard lights off and the keyboard doesn't work anymore. So i can't select the language.

Can someone help me?

I've an ASRock Q1900 Board. I already deactivated the serial port in bios.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would try win32diskimager (windows) or dd (linux).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Try a different usb port for your keyboard, too.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hello,

I have nearly the same problem to install OVM on my NAS.

Same Board, Asrock Q1900-ITX. I try to install from USB-Stick to SSD.
    I'm getting the Error "No CD-ROM Device found" and I cant get any solution.
    Tried different USB Sticks, different USB Ports,
    I've made the stick with Unetbootin. DD didn't work, win32diskimager is no option, I have no Windows-PC, MAC only.

Then I plugged the same USB-Stick + SSD into another PC and I could install OVM without any problems! :shock:
    So I think the Stick is fine and works properly with unetbootin. Unfortunately the installation from another PC doesnt work on the NAS :(

I thought there is a problem with the USB-Ports on the Mainboard, (Stick has no connection after choosing Language?!), so i tried different settings in the BIOS, updated to the newest BIOS, reset BIOS-Settings... all without any luck.

Anybody an idea?
    Would it help me out to install an CD-ROM Drive to install OVM from Disk? (Welcome to 2014!)?

Thank you for your help!

grtz
    CmdA

• If you installed it on another PC it should work on your NAS. Disable Secure Boot and maybe UEFI Boot on your NAS if you didn't install the SSD on another UEFI Board.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Secure Boot is disabled, to disable UEFI I couldnt find an option. But I activated Legacy support.
    The NAS will boot, but OMV won't start.
    At the point i can login with "admin" and "openmediavault" it says: "No directory logging in with=home/
    and something like that the Account doesnt work. (sorry, don't know the exactly prompt now).

Login as root with my password I setted up while installation will work to get into the shell. But that won't help me?!

The Machine I installed OMV on is an old one without UEFI.
    I could install OMV again on another one that has UEFI. Could this help me out?

Thanks for your help!

grtz
    CmdA

• Tried to install it on another machine which has UEFI too: Works like a charm!
    Plugged the SSD into the NAS-Machine: nothing works, exactly like the first attempt. (Boots into shell and thats it)

Starting a new installation on the NAS: No CD-ROM Device found. WTF?

I have no idea what to do... This shit really F***s me up.
    Bought the machine especially for OMV, after trying to install for 6hours: Nothing works.

Anybody an idea? I won't believe that OMV doesnt work with an Asrock Q1900-ITX Board.
    It works on my very old AMD X2 Board, on my 2years old Asrock 970Extreme4 Board, but not on the new one?
    Won't believe that!
    Tried to install OpenELEC to test: Works like a charm, too!

Anybody an idea?

• You need to login locally/via SSH with root and the password you set in the installation. admin/openmediavault is for the webinterface.

Zitat von "vTali"

Installed it on a different pc. Inserted the ssd in my nas and it boots. However there is no ip shown after the ":". I cannot open the webinterface.

Login locally with root/yourpassword. Whats the output of the following command:

Code
    ifconfig -a

You two are now the second and third one on the forum that have that problem. It's definitly a problem on those kind of boards and not the fault of OpenMediaVault. Secure Boot has to be disabled and UEFI boot has to be disabled too.

Greetings
    David

• Does it work on the NAS? Then in the NAS.

Greetings
    David

• Even when you installed on the other system and boot it then in the NAS?

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

You need to login locally/via SSH with root and the password you set in the installation. admin/openmediavault is for the webinterface.

Login locally with root/yourpassword. Whats the output of the following command:

Code
    ifconfig -a

I'm at the same point now. Installed OMV one more time on my old machine, works fine, could Login into WEbGUI etc. Shutdown and pulled the SSD into my NAS.
    It boots into shell but no WebGUI is running, so OMV is not running.
    There is no IP shown up after the ":"

ifconfig -a says:

Code
    eth1
    Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse: MAC-ID
    Boradcast Multicast MTU:1500 Metrik 1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packet:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    Kollisionen: 0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge: 1000
    RX bytes: 0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    Interrupt:92 Basisadresse:0x400

(I'm German so a few parameters are named in German)
    But no IP-Adress oder netmask.

Code
    lo
    Link encap: Lokale Schleife (local loop)
    inet Adresse:127.0.0.1 Maske:255.0.0.0
    inet6-Adresse: ::1/128 Gültigkeitsbereich: Maschine
    UP Loopback Running MTU:16436 Metrik:1
    RX packets:68 erros:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:68 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    Kollisionen: 0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:0
    RX bytes:4689 (4.5 KiB) TX bytes:4689 (4.5 KiB)

So i think the installation is fine but there is still a problem with the ethernet, right?

grtz

• YES!
    I did it!

I realized that my NAS has no IP, so I went to /etc/network/ and editet the interfaces file. There was my Ethernet-Card defined as "eth0" but in OMV it runs under "eth1".
    So i changed "eth0" to "eth1", reboot and it works!

Yeehaaaw!
    So, my installation Problem is gone now.
    I'm sure i will get back with another questions ;)
    Thank you very much so far!

grtz
    CmdA

• just for informations, probably not help dudes with Asrock Q1900-ITX Board but it's worth trying, I personnaly use LiLi - LinuxLive USB Creator, available on many language and offert many great options. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/fr/download

And please, unplug all unnecessary devices and hard disk except the one that will be used for installation. I also had some problems installing Debian to start with my ASRock N68C-GS.

NeurOSick
    Hardware ASRock N68C-GS, AMD FX-4100 8GB RAM
    OMV3 Distro + OMV-Extra + Docker + OpenVPN = Unlimited possibilities!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!