Local DNS settings?

• Hello,
    I would like to know if it's possible that i can access the nas via the name, e.g. mynas/ in browser. On some computers in my network, it works, on some it doesn't. Then I have to choose the ip adress.
    FYI: I'm using the fritz box from AVM.

Greetings
    vTali

• Offizieller Beitrag

Of corse it is posible. It all depends what is doing dns for your network. Many home routers will let you add entries to the dns. If the address is dhcp some do that automaticaly.If yours wont you could add an entry to the hosts file for the computers that don't see it. Post more details and you might get a better answer.

If you make it idiot proof, somebody will build a better idiot.

• It is not likely to be issue with your OMV if it is working on some machines. Your fritzbox may need a reboot (unplug for 10 seconds and plug back in) or the machines that are not working may need a reboot. What are the machines that are not working?

• I never really figured out what is the root cause of it (I remember that debian does not set/broadcast the hostname correctly as one of the reasons), but as far as I know adding it to your fritz.box via fixed ip solves this issue.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thats what I meant.

But it is troubling sometimes that the hostname isn't fetched with the IP which is REALLY nasty while the NAS boots up, as you get 'unknown host' rather than 'host unreachable' in some situations.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!