Crashplan / Owncloud

• You should be able to pretty easily set up CrashPlan on OMV following these instructions: http://support.code42.com/Cras…iguring_A_Headless_Client

Further, you can edit a few config files so you can control it via another computer on your network without the need for SSH tunneling, I'm not at home right now but I can update this with the details of the files later (personally, I'm not concerned with having CrashPlan "open" on my home network -- you may disagree). Otherwise you can use the SSH tunneling described in tekkbebe's post.

I have CrashPlan set up on OMV backing up to CrashPlan Central (the paid service) and will probably also set up a second OMV system locally to receive a local backup. It was incredibly simple to set up using the instructions from code42. Seems to work just as well as it did when I had it running on WHS.

• Encryption.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I agree a CrashPlan plugin would be great :)
    Anyway this is how I do it for anybody looking to give it go... Simple setup no tunnelling!
    I hope we see a plugin soon :)

1. wget http://download.crashplan.com/…CrashPlan_3.6.3_Linux.tgz
    2. tar -xvf CrashPlan_3.6.3_Linux.tgz
    3. cd CrashPlan-install
    4. ./install.sh

5. When the installer asks for java, press Y to accept the installation.
    6. Install CrashPlan with the default settings.
    7. Start CrashPlan.
    Would you like to start CrashPlanDesktop? (y/n) [y]

8. On your Linux server, open the following XML configuration file in your favourite text editor.
    nano -w /usr/local/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml

Search for the “serviceHost” parameter and change it from this:
    <serviceHost>127.0.0.1</serviceHost>

to this:
    <serviceHost>0.0.0.0</serviceHost>

9. Save the file and restart the CrashPlan daemon (Ctrl O to save):
    /etc/init.d/crashplan restart
    (if crashplan doesn't autostart at boot use cmd: update-rc.d crashplan defaults )

10. On windows install CrashPlan and open the file C:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties. Change the line #serviceHost=127.0.0.1 to include the IP address of your CrashPlan server and remove the #. For example:
    serviceHost=192.168.1.100

11. Open the CrashPlan server port 4242 in your firewall modem etc.
    Port 4242 needs to be opened to allow traffic to your CrashPlan server. (e.g. Crashplan Server 192.168.1.100)
    Do NOT open port 4243 in your firewall (Crashplan's GUI runs on port 4243), though it can be uncommented in the above file.

That's It, Open CrashPlan on your PC to configure CrashPlan on your server.

NOTE: For security reasons only use this setup to access crashplan locally. If you want to use it to control crashplan remotely over the internet at your own risk, then open the crashplan server port 4243 in your firewall and change the ui.properties file above to use your servers public address.

• This has changed somewhat with the new versions of CrashPlan. You will have to copy the authentication token from the remote server to the local computer as per Step 1 in CrashPlan's instructions.

You don't need to do the other steps if you don't want to use ssh port forwarding.

Also, on a Mac the correct correct .ui_info file is here:

Code
    /Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/.ui_info

And the correct ui.properties file is here:

Code
    /Applications/CrashPlan.app/Contents/Resources/Java/conf/ui.properties

The .ui_info file also has to have the IP of the remote server added to it, as well as the authentication token. So it would look like (replace the xs with your values):

Code
    4243,xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx,192.168.x.x
  • HI Guys, I just wonder how I can come into the crashplan setup. I just tried to follow the guide but can't reach crashplan on OMV. I always could but now I struggle with the remote login. I use the ssh tunnel with the changed port but it doesn't connect so far.

Any idea what I have to do? The installation is already 1 year old has something changed since?

br
    openalf

• Hello All,

It's been a while since I have been on here cause CrashPlan has just worked for me for so long, until now...lol.

I've just had to rebuild my OMV server and I'm having some trouble with CrashPlan. I've tried installing CrashPlan versions 3.6.3, 4.3.0 and the latest 4.4.1 and they all have the same problem, They work for a while then they stop. The CrashPlan service on OMV is still running but the clients can't reconnect. If I reinstall CrashPlan on OMV it will start working again but only for a short while. I've confirmed that the CrashPlan service is starting up when OMV boots up. I'm now starting to wonder if it might be something to do with the latest version of OMV. Is anyone else having any trouble with CrashPlan on OMV 2.1?

Cheers,

Baldman

• Ok I fixed it. I disabled the Owncloud plugin and rebooted and it just started working again :)

Just a tip for anyone trying to get this working on windows... You need to disable the CrashPlan backup engine service in computer management. Then reboot and edit the necessary files .ui_info, ui.properties ect. Make sure to copy the files back to the desktop and confirm the changes actually saved. Another reboot after file changes is also a good idea.

I can post further instructions if anyone wants them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had the issue that the authentication token in the .ui_info file was changed by CrashPlan Desktop App without doing me anything. I solved this by making a copy of the .ui_info with the correct authentication token. Then I start CrashPlan with a batch file which is first copying the correct .ui_info over the one which has been modified by CrashPlan. Next the batch file starts CrasPlan Desptop.
    (With the same batch I open the ssh tunnel with putty.)

• I've tried installing crashplan headless four times now. Once on OMV, twice on other distros, and once on an RPi. The .ui_info file never shows up, so I end up fabricating one and trying to use that. Even still, I have never been able to get a headless crashplan setup to work. Is there an easier way to do this? I have days invested in this one headless setup and I'm just burnt out.

Thoughts/suggestions for means to do this locally on the server/using the CrashPlan Desktop docker would be appreciated. I can get the docker image installed and running, but don't know what the next step is beyond that.

• Problem solved. It only took me two weeks to figure out that following the online documentation was the problem. Somewhere online it was said that you should change the port to 4200, but the instructions are one-sided. Accordingly, the two ports didn't match up and the system was never able to connect. By simply resetting to the default port and fabricating the .ui_info file I was able to get up and running.

Dumb problem. Thanks guys!

• As a newbie I was very happy to install crash plan headless. Thanks for all the informations provided in the forum!Unfortunately I am stuck at the point of configuring and actually using crashplan. I am using luks encryption fand unable to see the encrypted data, therefore I would have to upload the complete container each time I add data to my shared and encrypted folders in omv, right?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!