[SOLVED] NFS write permissions

• Hello,

I have some issues with my NFS-Shares on OMV with XBMC.

Setup as follows:

- Created a user, named "xbmc", with a password. The User is in Group "users" by default.
    - Created a Shared Folder "XMBC".
    Privileges for user "xbmc" Read/write. ACL: Folder owned by root, read/write. Group-permission: "users", read/write.
    - NFS: Activated, Number of Servers: 16
    NFS-Shares: The folder "XBMC", Client: "192.168.1.101/24". Options: rw,no_subtree_check,secure, Privilege: Read/Write.

In Terminal, the folder XBMC, option "ls -l" shows owner root, group users.

So far the NFS-Share works. I can see the Share, I can mount the Share and read from it. But I have no Write-permission.
    At this point, the only way to get write-permission on my NFS-Shares is to set up under ACL the Option: "Others: Read/write". I think this should be a little bit insecure. Am I right?

Where I'm wrong?
    Thank you very much for your help!

grtz
    CmdA

• "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thank you!
    Tried the Username-thing already.
    The Client I'm talking about has the Username: "C0mmanda-HTPC".
    I created a User with the same name in OMV but it doesn't work either.

No idea how to get it work...

• They need to have the same UID on both systems.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Sorry, but I don't think it's solved :(
    Don't get it working yet.

Checked the UID and GID.
    The Client which I want to connect has the UID as follows:

Code
    C0mmanda-HTPC:~ # id
    uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

So far as I know I cannot change the UID of the client yet. (OpenELEC Client), so "root" has to get Access.

Under ACL of the folder I want to share I gave access to users and groups "root", but I can't connect.
    When I set "others" to read/write, it works.

Any ideas?

• I don't have an OpenElec available right now but check with which User it is running, which definitly won't be root. Then check the UID of this user and then you can create a user with similiar UID and name on your NAS.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

• Sorry, but I dont understand how to use "which".
    Even Google won't help.... I don't get it :(

I checked the users which are in /etc/passwd,

Code
    C0mmanda-HTPC:~ # cat /etc/passwd
    root:x:0:0:Root User:/storage:/bin/sh
    dbus:x:81:81:System message bus:/:/bin/sh
    system:x:430:430:service:/var/run/connman:/bin/sh
    sshd:x:74:74:Privilege-separated SSH:/var/empty/sshd:/bin/sh
    avahi:x:495:495:avahi-daemon:/var/run/avahi-daemon:/bin/sh
    nobody:x:999:999:Nobody:/:/bin/sh

/storage is the folder where xbmc is located under openELEC.

sorry, I'm really helpless at the moment... :(

• Code
    ps aux | grep xbmc

On your HTPC of course.

Greetings
    David

• Code
    C0mmanda-HTPC:~ # ps aux | grep xbmc
      837 root       0:00 oscam -c /storage/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/service.softcam.oscam/config
      838 root      49:23 tvheadend -C -u root -g video -c /storage/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/service.multimedia.tvheadend
      856 root     140:41 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd
      887 root       1:35 oscam -c /storage/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/service.softcam.oscam/config
     4567 root       0:00 grep xbmc
  • Oh, thats a bummer... so it runs as root... thats bad. Then I would suggest you limit the NFS Share to your HTPC IP and make it writeable by others.

On the other hand, why do you need to be able to write via NFS from your HTPC to your NAS? For tvheadend? Maybe you could use CIFS/SMB for this...

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Oh, thats a bummer... so it runs as root... thats bad. Then I would suggest you limit the NFS Share to your HTPC IP and make it writeable by others.

Yes... obviously it is.. :(
    Ok, I can live with that, only thought the hole time there is something wrong.
    If I get it right, I think I'm already running the setup you suggest, however I wonder why I have to make the share writable by others when I gave user and group "root" access in the ACL settings.

Still a lot to learn about User- and Groupmanagement ;)

Zitat

On the other hand, why do you need to be able to write via NFS from your HTPC to your NAS? For tvheadend? Maybe you could use CIFS/SMB for this...

Greetings
    David

You're right, that would be the easy way ;)
    I need writable access for TVHeadend (recordings) and for the Database of XBMC. (Scraping, Thumbs, Logos etc.).
    I decided to use NFS for this because of the better performance.
    With CIFS/SMB I have 45MB Read/Write in the max! With NFS I have nearly 100MB/s.
    For sure, 45MB/s are more than enough to record FullHD with DD 5.1 but why not use the faster option?

At the CIFS-side I haven't tried to optimize yet, excepting the Backport 3.2 Kernel.

grtz

• Whats the spec of your NAS? Atom based?

Greetings
    David

• Not sure about that particular CPU but the one in the Intel NUC is de facto an atom CPU, tough named Celeron. Than its normal that the Samba overhead slows your transfers down. ;)

Greetings
    David

• Hmm, searched a little bit and it looks like the Bay Trails are Atom based too.

I can live with that, first priority was a minimal Energy Consumption and that is given.
    But I have to say that I thought it will have more speed... my old NAS with an 1.6Ghz SingleCore ARM V6 made about 60-70MB/s via CIFS.
    Nevermind... In case that I will need more Power I will make an HTPC from the BayTrail, (works perfect) and get some more Power in my NAS ;)

To change the HDD's from one OMV-Machine to another will be no problem, or?

• Now I've tested OMV with my HTPC for two weeks and I wanna share the results:

It's an AMD FX6100 6-Core CPU with 3,3Ghz plugged in a ASRock 970 Extreme4 Board.
    4 GB DD3 RAM, 1666Mhz
    Same 30GB Kingston SSD, same WD Greens for Storage.
    Also Realtek NIC.

Transferspeeds via CIFS/SMB are nearly the same, so I dont think the J1900 Bay Trail CPU slows my transfers down.

With the J1900 Bay Trail:

CIFS/SMB: 55MB/s W/R in max.
    NFS: 100MB W, 95MB R in max.

With the FX 6100:

CIFS/SMB: 50-55 MB/s W/R in max.
    NFS: 115MB/s W, 100MB/s R in max.

(Weird that writing under NFS is faster than reading)

So I can be sure that my Network is able to handle speeds >100MB/s and that it's not the CPU that slows down speeds under CIFS/SMB.

So why is SMB so lame under my OMV?

• SMB is allways slow on low powered CPUs...

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!