Starting OpenMediaVault engine daemon: ERROR

• I've done a new installation of my OMV.
    I've update OMV to last edition, but in the console I see always the message:
    Starting OpenMediaVault engine daemon: ERROR

What's going on?

Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbup:
    ==============
    1 USB Stick Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (USB 3.0 90MB/s Read - 30MB/s Write)
    2 HDD WD Blue 320GB RAID2
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• Which version exactly, 0.5 or 0.6?

Try to start the engined in debug mode via:

Code
    monit stop omv-engined
    omv-engined -df

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Where is 0.6 version? I see only 0.5.48 and with updates now I have 0.5.50.
    Today I see another update (0.5.51)

I started OMV in debug mode with a list of services into console and when I work with webgui I see a lot of messages in console.
    What you want?

I'm confused.
    If I install two time the same thing into the same machine I expect to see the same results.
    Instead with this second installation there are some errors during startup like "kobject_add_internal failed for threshold_bank0 with -eexist"
    Also the error about OMV engine, I'm sure that was not there before.

Furthermore, because now the shared folder are in a folder like "/media/bb9100c8-f4c3-4db8-aa68-deabf3c7479b"
    This time I've create 3 simple disks with a unique EXT4 partition; no LVM, no RAID.

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• Of course you can expect it to behave the same way if you reinstall on the same hardware. But lets talk about that, what kind of drive are you using for your OS installation? Hard Disk, SSD or USB Stick?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Of course you can expect it to behave the same way if you reinstall on the same hardware. But lets talk about that, what kind of drive are you using for your OS installation? Hard Disk, SSD or USB Stick?

Greetings
    David

USB Stick, because maybe a long time ago, when disks were small, it was a smart thing to take the whole disk.
    Today I can not assign a 500GB hard drive only for OMV and smaller 500GB there are none.
    I think that a new version, OMV must propose a minimum / maximum size for the operating system and the remaining space on the disc assigned for the first data partition or free so that the user can then partition it from OMV.

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• If your USB stick does not support wear leveling its probably starting to die. Therefore use something that spins with 5-7000rpm or does support (static) wear leveling.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "whitetiger"

USB Stick, because maybe a long time ago, when disks were small, it was a smart thing to take the whole disk.
    Today I can not assign a 500GB hard drive only for OMV and smaller 500GB there are none.
    I think that a new version, OMV must propose a minimum / maximum size for the operating system and the remaining space on the disc assigned for the first data partition or free so that the user can then partition it from OMV.

You can find new laptop drives in the 80-160gig range all day long on Ebay for about the price of a 16gig flash drive, since you'll likely be buying a new flash drive when OMV nukes it. A 30 second check of eBay revealed the following from $20-$35 (US):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HI…rives&hash=item4ad66a71ec

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-80…rives&hash=item27dde867d6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOSHIB…rives&hash=item4d0e4bf2cf

With drive sizes being ginormous nowdays, giving the OS 80-160gigs, is really not a big deal. Old/broken Notebooks, netbooks, etc.. can also be a source. Also, I totally disagree about proposing a minimum/maximum. At first, this annoyed me with OMV.. but the more I used it, the more I realized that keeping data and the OS separate is the proper thing to do.

• IMHO It's not a problem of money but is a problem of unnecessary waste of resources (disk space).
    If the OS takes only a few GB I do not understand why I have to use a disk of 80GB (or more).
    I also believe that it must be the user to decide what to do of the space and if he want to separate the data from the OS.
    For example, I would use this space to save my temporary data or that do not require particular levels of security, such as the ISO images downloaded from the Internet and that after a few months I have to replace.

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• The choice is yours. Its just not supported out of the box so you have to partition it manually afterwards.

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

The choice is yours. Its just not supported out of the box so you have to partition it manually afterwards.

Greetings
    David

Ok, David.
    I'll install OMV on HD, but I need to know a thing
    Now I have 3 HD with 3 different file system ext3, without any level of RAID.
    With a NEW installation into a 4th HD can I assign these 3 disks without losing anything?

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• Yup. Just remove the sata cables and install onto the 4th. Then reattach them after installation.

Greetings
    David

• I've installed OMV on HD WD 500GB and with first reboot I've get the same errors.
    So the problem was not related to USB key.

==============
    4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

• Offizieller Beitrag

Was the web interface working? I have seen the error before but it was just a timing issue and everything still worked.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!