Backup plugin

• I have been trying to find information on how to use the backup plugin but have been unsuccessful does anybody know of how to or where I can find documentation on this plugin?
    I have used this to create a backup, but I am trying to restore the system from using the backup now.
    "
    openmediavault-backup
    Version: 0.5.1
    Repo: sardaukar-testing
    Source: link
    Maintainer: ryecoaaron
    Description: backup plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    This plugin will backup the entire OpenMediaVault system minus data drives for restoration in emergency situations.
    "
    Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no automated restore. This will tell you more. I actually started working on a easier backup/restore today.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I looked at this plugin and I found that the integration of Clonezilla is very nice to use.

I tried it on a virtualbox openmediavault.

There is a little trick for me because I want to save the disk image on a XFS filesystem on LVM2 volume. So, after booting on clonezilla (and opened a SSH session) I had to mount manually the filesystem on /home/partimag

Code
    pvscan
    mount /dev/<vgname>/<lvname> /home/partimag # replace with actual volume group and logical volume name

and then naturally use the skip option in clonezilla to use the already mounted /home/partimag

Of course, using clonezilla makes restoration very easy.

omv 2.x omv 3.x (testing) - AMD CPU - RAM ECC 8x4TB RAID6 + 4x3TB RAID5 - SSD 4GB for system

• This is primarily for backing up your system drive. There are other ways to easily backup the data drives while your system is running. If you are running Virtual Box you don't even need ssh to backup a vm's system drive. You can use Remote Desktop. It is so easy. :D

• Backup of the system drive, that's exactly what I want to do. I used to boot from a live USB. The plugin is much easier to use, and IMHO clonezilla is THE standard for this sort of backup on Linux ...

I used virtualbox to check the plugin before using it on my "production" NAS which is a physical machine.

As my NAS is not in a professional environment, I don't mind stopping it and booting on clonezilla, as it can be done via the WebGUI (and without connecting a keyboard and a screen to the physical machine as I had to do before)

For the data drives, I use a self-made script based on rsync, mainly because the rsnapshot plugin did not exist when I needed to do data backup. As my script is now satisfying for my needs, I continue to use it.

omv 2.x omv 3.x (testing) - AMD CPU - RAM ECC 8x4TB RAID6 + 4x3TB RAID5 - SSD 4GB for system

• Offizieller Beitrag

The pvscan tip is still helpful if you want to backup your system drive locally to a data drive/array :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

The easier backup/restore was going well until I realized it wouldn't backup to local data disks properly (works over nfs or samba). The restore will not work headless because it boots its own media. Like ftriscari said, the clonezilla image is the best option because you can restore using ssh.

• I have a question. Used the backup tab on the plugin to backup system drive to omvbackup folder on one of my data drives. I'm replacing the system disk (an old sata laptop drive with errors) and need to restore to a separate disk. What's the easiest way to do that? And I think the backup plugin could use a bit of an explanation on the "Backup" tab as to what it does. Like the fact that you are selecting the Target drive. But as I said, what do I do with this omvbackup now that I have it? Or is it really useless and I need to backup again with Clonezilla first? AND, the new target drive will be a different size. How will this work out?

Version
    6.0.27-1 (Shaitan)

Kernel
    Linux 5.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

• Offizieller Beitrag

How it works is explained here. The backup is not useless if you have more advanced linux skills. The post I linked to should help along with the path that it shows you in the plugin. Let me know if you need more help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!