[RESOLVED] cannot see directories in FTP (v.6)

• Good morning,

I have setup my ftp server as follows:-

- created a new shared folder
    - created an FTP user
    - granted rw rights to the new user (using ACL)
    - changed user shell to bash
    - enabled ftp service
    - added shared folder to ftp shares list
    - saved config

now, I am able to log into the ftp server using a windows client (smartftp), however, the client dumps me at the Root folder with no visible sub directories.

how do i either get to my FTP enabled folder (in this instance called "sites") or make it so that the ftp user defaults to the sites folder?

what am i missing?

thanks

Dan

• yep .... log listing from filezilla below (edited!!)

• Here is the end of a successful connection:

Yours did not complete. Please show screenshot of your Settings. Did you follow the guide in the guides section of the forum?

• Not sure why in your it lists /public and in mine it's just /

Still empty directory in FileZilla but if I ssh to var/proftd I can see the share mounted in there with 722 permissions.

D

• I will look at later today (I'm at work)... You are close. It seems to be a small error.

I just looked at your output again. It says entering Passive mode and it is failing. I would recommend you follow the guide and complete the passive setup. I will still take a look later.

• tekkbebe,

today out of despair more than anything else I enabled root and anonymous access ... no other changes

if i log into the ftp from filezilla with username "anonymous" I can see the subdirectories ... but not as my real user..

does that help diagnose the problem any further?

• Change directory to the level above the sites folder and give me results of this:

stat sites

Also, never access a ftp with root user. Take off anonymous too. Undo the acl and then give the user you want to use privileges instead.
    If you follow instructions precisely you should not have issues. Don't know what you did.

Post copy of this file too /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf

• stats sites

• The shared folder, which resides on a data drive, has to be mounted to /srv/ftp/. That is why the root of the ftp server is not in the shared folder. Just FYI.

In settings take checkmark off allow root access and then "save and apply".

• What is name of your main user? Give that user read/write privileges to the sites folder. Then disable the ftp and enable again. Give me a new copy of the config file at that point.

• Why are we going through this? You need to follow instructions. No ACL... take off any acl check marks and then "save and apply". You need to use privileges.

In Access Right Management/Shared Folders

highlight the sites folder by clicking it and then above click on Privileges, not ACL. Remove any ACL check marks. There are 2 buttons, one for Privileges and one for ACL.

After this disble the server and re-enable it. Then try again.

You are very close.

• thank you for persevering ... that was it ... had both ACL and priv's set ... disabled the ACL settings and it works ... odd though that if i turn on an ACL setting it stops it ... why is that ?

D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!