failed to partition

• I've tried again and again, but I get two different errors. One is

Failed to partition the selected disk
    This probably happened because the selected disk or free space is too small to be automatically partitioned.

and the second is

No root file system is defined
    Please correct this from the partitioning menu

This is no "partitioning menu". So, how would I go about fixing these errors?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Where are you trying to do this?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• He probably trys to install onto as USB stick which is not detected within the setup. Bam he gets that error...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat

Where are you trying to do this?

Installing OMV. This happens after the network hardware is detected. The partition stage before installing the system.

Zitat

He probably trys to install onto as USB stick which is not detected within the setup. Bam he gets that error...

Nope, trying to install onto an 80GB Samsung. I think this is the drive that is not detected.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try wiping the disk using gparted live or systemrescuecd first.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Try wiping the disk using gparted live or systemrescuecd first.

I booted a gparted live USB (can't get it to boot from CD) and deleted everything there so it was left with unallocated space. That didn't work, so I booted gparted again and this time formatted the drive as an ext 4 partition. That didn't work. Something curious that happened: with the gparted live session, it had a dialogue box that said "The backup GPT table is corrupt, but the primary appears OK, so that will be used."

I'm reading about repairing GTP disks, but I don't really understand (yet) these texts. I'm also reading about "defining a mount point" in a tutorial for Ubuntu. I don't know if that will help me. Another suggestion was to boot an Ubuntu live disk and use the command "apt-get remove dmdraid". Which reminds me; I've successfully installed OMV once before and put the disks in a RAID 1 array. Then I copied some stuff and the power went out. So I decided to reinstall and remove the RAID, but I ran into the current problem.

help?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Boot gparted and execute these commands - change sdX to your drive:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1000
    parted /dev/sdX mklabel msdos

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Boot gparted and execute these commands - change sdX to your drive:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1000
    parted /dev/sdX mklabel msdos

This is the correct answer!

I booted a Lubuntu live disk (can be any Linux distro), then opened the terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) and typed:

Code
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1000
    parted /dev/sda mklabel msdos

I noticed in the second of these two commands that msdos was used... I think my problem was that I was labeling (using gparted) the disk gpt.
    However, I'm curious about what the first dd command did.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It writes zeros over the partition table and boot loader. The count really only needs to be 1 but I use 1000 or more just to clean up the beginning of the drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!