mounting a pre-existing folder as a shared folder

• Hi,

I have OMV v.6 running well right now but there are a few things that niggle at me!

for example I have about 10 shared folders which I run nightly rsync and clamav jobs against.

to achieve this I have 10 rsync jobs and 10 clam av jobs each of which email me a completion record.

ideally i would like just the two cron jobs (1 for av and one for backup).

i thought one way to achieve this would be to share the /media/UUID folder so what I did was created a symlink in the /media directory called omv (/media/omv) and pointed it at the UUID I am interested in.

From putty this works, so, is it possible to share that directory (/media/omv) so that I can run rsny and clam against it?

thanks in advance

Dan.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want to do this in the web interface, you have to use shared folders. You could move shared folders and data from a structure like:

sf1/
    sf2/
    sf3/

to

main/sf1/
    main/sf2/
    main/sf3/

In addtion to the three shared folders - sf1, sf2, sf3 - you would have a fourth called main. You would run the backup and av on main instead of the individual. Moving the data (by command line) would be fast since it would be on the same drive.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• thanks for getting back to me on this one ryecoaaron,

I assume in the example below that post the moving of data etc that the only shared folder left would be "main"?

And that I would not be able to create an smb share called "sf1" that resided inside the shared folder "main"?

is that correct?

D

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could have a samba share for all of them because they are shared folders. The web interface doesn't care where the shared folder is located.

If I understand your goal, only the shared folders (sf1, sf2, sf3) would be left in main.

• You can simply share the root path of you drive (/)!

Should solve this problem without any modifications. No moving, just bundling all crons into one.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I personally don't like sharing the root path of the data drives because rsync will sync the aquota.* files, lost+found directory, and every shared folder on that drive.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I personally don't like sharing the root path of the data drives because rsync will sync the aquota.* files, lost+found directory, and every shared folder on that drive.

You could exclude them. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "davidh2k"

You could exclude them. ;)

That is a pain when you have 20 shared folders in the root of the drive and you only want to rsync three of them :)

• Okay, thats reasonable. But it sounded like he wanted to rsync everything (except quota dirs ofc).

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!