Raid 1 performance question

• Hello.

I'm newbie to OMV and running it on my microserver for a month. Now it's time to upgrade the disks.
    I wonder if I'd get a read speed increase if used in RAID1? I suggest some tuning needed, but if this can be performed on OMV?
    I'm running OMV on ESXi, so this gonna be software RAID only.

Another question is: can I partition my disks same way, and use only 1 partition for RAID?
    Say split 3TB drivers in two partitions: 2TB and 1TB. Put 2x2TB partitions in RAID1, and stripe 2x1TB partitions. This would result in 4TB of total space with redundant 2TB.

• If you do the partitions via CLI, then the GUI will be able to use them.

Read speed should be increased out of the box.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I've tried and made it like this:

Is that correct?
    I can see /dev/md1 and /dev/md2 devices. I believe I need to mkfs on md devices too, but that's not problem.
    I also understand, that running raid0 on second partition is kinda stupid, that was only made for testing purposes. Can't test a RAID1 read speed, but I hope it will be faster then single drive.

• Ok, bought two toshiba drives, installed and now testing all the possible configurations. I guess there's bottlenech somewhere and I cannot get it. Or I'm doing it wrong.

Nevermind. Figured everything out.

Wonder what read and write speed people get using single 1gbps links in different configurations.
    Drive shows 180mbps(say 150 to be sure) on read or write. and single drive doesn't utilize link 100%. My write speed to a single drive is about 60mbps.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!