Configuration Backup

• In the Guides I have how to make an image of your system drive. It has to be restored to same size disk or larger though. You might explain exactly what you are doing to image the drive and restore. Clonezilla really works best for this.

Headless Backup of the System Drive with Clonezilla

That is a great guide for cloning the OMV system to an image.
    It would great to finish it by showing how we can actually recover from a disaster (like the OMV system drive failing).

That is, my OMV runs off a 6GB CF II Microdrive HDD.
    If I followed that guide, I will end up with an Clone Image file stored either on a data drive or better still on an external USB drive.
    Now, say my OMV drive fails. What are the steps to restore the backup Image to a new drive ?

HP Microserver N40L; OMV 6.1.1-1 (Shaitan)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could we dream about having one day a backup and restore system like PfSense ? ... Just with one XML file

OMV 0.2 had that but it had issues. Volker has said OMV needs a different database to provide this. There are just so many things that an XML file couldn't guarantee with a NAS with lots of plugins. I mean what does it do if you have different hardware? I could see backing up major settings and users. But how do you restore a shared folder if the drive it is pointing to doesn't exist? Myself, I would rather back up the entire OS drive.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi @ryecoaaron,

" There are just so many things that an XML file couldn't guarantee with a NAS with lots of plugins."
    Correct, I have to cleanup the mess in XML before restore it in PfSense :D

"But how do you restore a shared folder if the drive it is pointing to doesn't exist?"
    Thats right... :(( .. What we can do ? I have 50users log+pw, if only i can save that....

"I would rather back up the entire OS drive"
    I think problem is indeed the same no? : with the entire OS backup, u restore on a new machine, new HDD, new partition and then.... ? All your old share will be also retore? On new hard drive ?.... (sorry I never retore omv yet!)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have 50users log+pw, if only i can save that....

Those aren't stored in the OMV database. Save two files... /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow

I think problem is indeed the same no? : with the entire OS backup, u restore on a new machine, new HDD, new partition and then.... ? All your old share will be also retore? On new hard drive ?

New machine is fine. New hard drive is fine if it is the same size or bigger. If you use the same UUID for the partition, it is fine. The backup plugin saves all of this info. Not easy to restore though. This all works as long as your data drives are the same (well at least same UUIDs).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hello,

I'm using OMV 1.0.6 with kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 and I've been configuring some plugins for daily use, I'm afraid that some updates or faulty OS hard drive could leave my system to freeze someday, If I had the necessity to reinstall all OMV OS is there any way to make a valid configuration backup for future safe use?

Thanks.

I always use win32diskimager to make backups of my SD card - a lot easier than using clonezilla.

You can find it at https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ - It makes a 1 to 1 disc image of whatever is on your SD card

• I keep meaning to do this, but my excuse is someone is using the server when I have time :D

If the Image is backed up to the NAS (or worst case backed up to an External HDD) and my OS drive fails, can I boot into Clonezilla and restore an image from the NAS itself (or the External HDD), via SSH or do I need to hook the server up to a monitor/keyboard/mouse? Sorry if there's an obvious answer...

• Hello,
    Thanks for the clear guide.

I would like to backup the image on a network share, 191.168.x.y/share/backup. Is it possible?

How can I mount it?
    Thanks,
    Daniele

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would like to backup the image on a network share, 191.168.x.y/share/backup. Is it possible?

Yes. I've done it many times.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can backup to a network share using the clonezilla menu. It will ask the proper questions.

• You can backup to a network share using the clonezilla menu. It will ask the proper questions.

Thanks.

I have installed openmediavault-backup but I can not find any clonezilla tab. There is just the possibility to backup to a share.

Where am I wrong? I'm running OMV Erasmus under Raspberry pi3

Thanks for helping, Daniele

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have installed openmediavault-backup but I can not find any clonezilla tab. There is just the possibility to backup to a share.

First, I moved the clonezilla tab to omv-extras on the kernel tab. Second, clonezilla doesn't work on the RPi.

• Offizieller Beitrag

so how can I clone the system?

Put the SD card back in the system you wrote it with. If you are running Windows, you can clone it with win32diskimager.

• I need to migrate OMV from my sata drive into a bootable usb stick. Can i follow this guide and restore it in the usb drive? Afteri do so, do i need to edit fstab, or just edit device priority from BIOS in order to have the usb as boot the OS

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!