Configuration Backup

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can i follow this guide and restore it in the usb drive?

Sometimes. Clonezilla has problems sometimes migrating from a large device to a small device.

Afteri do so, do i need to edit fstab, or just edit device priority from BIOS in order to have the usb as boot the OS

fstab should stay the same. So, just editing bios order should be it.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you use clonezilla, you can choose the expert mode. During the configuration process you will come to a screen where you can enable and disable options. Enable to skip the hecking of the destination disk size. Then it is possible to clone a larger drive to a smaller one.

-icds option

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then it is possible to clone a larger drive to a smaller one.

This does not work all the time.

Is there any better way then?

Resize the partitions on the larger drive and then use clonezilla with the icds option.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Why is it so complex. I am not even accessing this PC directly since it is not connected to a monitor, and i'm usinng putty. Cant i just somehow select all files and copy paste them to the stick and get it done with

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why is it so complex. I am not even accessing this PC directly since it is not connected to a monitor, and i'm usinng putty. Cant i just somehow select all files and copy paste them to the stick and get it done with

You don't have to use that PC. You can plug the drive into another computer with a monitor and boot clonezilla/gparted live on it.

And no, you can't copy and paste. You can't do that with a Windows install either. If you were running linux, you could create the partition, copy the boot sector (grub stuff), and rsync the files to the new drive.

• Ok i can create a clonezilla live and run it from another PC, but how do i get the drive from clonezilla to clone over the netowrk.

Also how do i split the OS drive int o2 partitions and put the files on a partition that is smaller than the usb stick in size so i can make the transition succesfully

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok i can create a clonezilla live and run it from another PC, but how do i get the drive from clonezilla to clone over the netowrk.

There is no network involved. Put both drives in the other pc and clone disk-to-disk or clone the source to file and clone the file to the destination.

Also how do i split the OS drive int o2 partitions and put the files on a partition that is smaller than the usb stick in size so i can make the transition succesfully

You don't want to do that. How small is the usb stick? It really might be easier to just reinstall.

• You don't want to do that. How small is the usb stick? It really might be easier to just reinstall.

16GB. I'm really starting to think that. But i'd have to re-set everything. Redefine the shares the accounts. If only you could somehow export some configuration file and import it upon installation everything would be easier

BTW in case i do this, should i go for OMV3 again or this newer 4 version do you think

• If possible, I would like to focus this thread back to the very original question, which was about backing up just the configuration, to make things like reinstalling, moving, or updating a NAS much easier. Clonezilla, for example, doesn't help much if you're wanting to rebuild your NAS in a new box with a new version of OMV. After searching, I found that this has been asked in many threads over several years. From the perspective of most users, it really seems like it should be possible to export and re-import at least basic config info like users, home directory names, smb shares, etc., especially since a number of other NASs can do this.

I assume much of the complexity of doing this lies in the fact that the configuration information is spread around, and not just in an OMV config file. For example, I assume much of it exists in things like Samba config files, user and group ID files, and other various system files that were modified by OMV, as well as in some OMV-specific config files.

Lacking an automated function for this in the GUI, would it at least be possible for someone intimately familiar with OMV (e.g., one of the devs) to come up with a list of such system config files and OMV config files which, when manually copied (or perhaps from a shell script) to a new system, would result in an identical configuration on that system? Even if every detail cannot be copied this way, such as the RAID configuration perhaps, it would be a big help if at least all of the users and shares, etc., could be.

• Hi David,
    I really would second your suggestion.
    I tried to update from OMV 2-->3 with the advised "fresh install" way but it took me hours fiddling around in different configs from plugins Samba shares , monitoring etc. I gave up, frustrated and seeing no end. Then weeks later I tried it again via an in-place update. Finally I succeeded there, but again with the cost of approx 5 hours to detect, analyse and fix several issues related to the update. Moreover, it was only possible with the help of the friendly folks here in the forum and at one point even the help of of the main developer was necessary.
    However, I think it would be a good invested time to develop such a sort of centralized settings file which could be ex- and imported. However I do not know how complex this task might be nor how much development time it would consume.

OpenMediaVault 6.x (most recent stable version) -- 64 bit -- OMV-Extras 6.x (most recent stable version) -- Default Kernel

• Hi Topi,
    Yeah, I'm really not sure what it would take. As I was mentioning, it's possible that each subsystem has configuration information both in its own configuration files, and somewhere inside OMV as well. Take Samba for example. Since it's a standard daemon (i.e., not part of OMV), it has its own configuration files which OMV must modify when you create shares. But I suspect (and this is what I'm not sure of) that OMV may also keep a record if this internally, so that it "knows" what shares you/it have created. Alternatively, it's possible that OMV directly reads the Samba config files every time you run the GUI and stores nothing of its own.

It's open source, so it would be possible to look through the source code and figure it out, but it's also possible that every subsystem is handled differently due to the wide variety of subsystem config files, which could make any general solution messy. Despite that, while Clonezilla is great for certain specific things, lack of any real migration functionality is a pretty big hole, as awesome as OMV is in most other respects.

In my own case, I'd be happy if I could at least export and import the user home directory locations and shares. In my case, that's where most of the work of a reinstall is, but everyone is different, with a different mix of feature usage and plugins.

• The /etc/openmediavault/config.xml file contains what you are looking for. However, it can only be used for references purposes.

You cannot use it by importing it into a fresh install with the expectation that this will somehow recreate all the users, shares, and other things.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks for that info. If you were to copy over /etc/openmediavault/config.xml AND any daemon-specific config files (e.g., the /etc/samba directory for Samba, etc.), would that result in a fully cloned configuration?

EDIT: for purposes of this question, assume that I imported the existing RAID array into the new OMV install and that all of the directories exist on the disk and haven't changed.

• If you were to copy over /etc/openmediavault/config.xml AND any daemon-specific config files (e.g., the /etc/samba directory for Samba, etc.), would that result in a fully cloned configuration?

I doubt it. There are too many other things that aren't amenable to that approach.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• OK. Maybe worth looking into further. The configuration must be stored in a finite number of places, and it's a matter of finding out where they are. As you point out, it might not be possible to migrate everything, but that may not be necessary. The most important things are those that require a lot of data entry. I've done several migrations that weren't amenable to Clonezilla, and had to key in directory and share information for ~20 users each time. It wasn't the end of the world, but it wasn't too pleasant either ;)

Maybe something will turn out to be possible for things like that.

• I realize this is an old thread. Hope it's ok to resurrect it.

The original question was about cloning the system partition I believe.

@ryecoaaron wrote a helpfull tutorial that says "Install openmediavault-backup from Plugins section"
    and it also says "Go to Clonezilla tab in System | Backup"

I want to run clonezilla (make a new bootable system partition). But I don't find the tab for clonezilla.

After installing the omvbackup plugin, I do find system->backup with what looks to be an rsync frontend. Can someone tell me where should I find the clonezilla tab? Or has it been removed from teh newer releases?

• Thanks for your lightning fast reply.

This is my first month running OMV. Is this a recent change ?

It's confusing because I've seen several guides in this forum that refer to some tabs under "System Backup".

Is it no longer necessary to install the "openmediavault-backup" plugin to run Clonezilla?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Has been changed some month ago, I would say,

Yes, you do not have to install the backup plug-in for clonezilla.

The rest of this guide should be still ok: Headless Backup of the System Drive with Clonezilla

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!