[How to] Install OMV on Pogoplug Classic (POGO-E02)

• Thanks for your patience on this, Kochin!
    I have tried 3 separate USB sticks, all with same results: same "additional required dependencies" errors (?) on installing; then booting only into the Pogoplug NAND (evidenced by "Pogoplug:~$"), not the USB drive.

The dependencies issue seems more of a debian/doozan problem than my USB drive. But the refusal to boot from the USB drive is a puzzle. Your fdisk setup instructions did not specify setting the sd1 partition as bootable, but I did this anyway just because it seemed a good idea in face of my bootup issues. (BTW, that setup section could use more fleshing out for newbies to linux such as myself, IMO).

So my distilled question: is the unresolved dependencies during the installation a real show stopper, or can I safely ignore this and proceed to focus on forcing a boot to USB? Or maybe installing Debian on NAND?

• Hi 1coyote1,

The installation script, dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh, basically does 2 things.

• Install U-Boot into PogoPlug's NAND.
    • Install Debian system into your USB drive.

So you must first make sure the script is compatible with your PogoPlug, otherwise U-Boot may not work. My PogoPlug version is POGO-E02 (identified on a label at the bottom of the device). There are other PogoPlug hardware which are not compatible with the script. See http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-v2-pinkgray and http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/pogoplug-provideov3.

To check whether Debian system is installed, after you run the dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh script and before reboot, please do the following

Code
    $ mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/debian
    $ cd /tmp/debian

Take a look of that folder and its subfolders, especially /tmp/debian/boot, to see whether files are indeed installed into your USB drive.

The "Found additional required dependencies" and "Found additional base dependencies" are messages of normal installation process. The script will go on the Internet to retrieves those packages, so keep it connected to the Web.

U-Boot doesn't use the bootable flag on the partition, so setting it has no effect.

NAND on the PogoPlug doesn't have enough space to (and shouldn't) hold the Debian system. It only needs to hold the U-Boot. U-Boot controls the boot up process.

OpenMediaVault 7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) :thumbup:
    HARDWARE: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2 | SYSTEM: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) aarch64

KERNEL: Linux 6.1.21-v8+ | PROCESSOR: BCM2835 (4) @ 1.500GHz | MEMORY: 4GB | STORAGE: MicroSD 60GB + HDD 6TB
    PLUGINS: nut, omvextrasorg, backup, compose, cputemp, flashmemory, kernel, remotemount, sharerootfs

DOCKER: nginx proxy manager, pi-hole, wireguard, transmission

• Alright, I'm probably over looking something but I can't seem to get the initial OS install to boot. I'm using a POGO-E02, with a 8GB USB (seagate CF installed inside) that I created a 6.5Gb primary partition and a remaining 750mb swap partition. /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2

So after about three attempts to install the base OS (must have had some internet ISP issues) it finally finished and prompted for a reboot.

Now I did not remove power for a cold start, but after the reboot it loaded up the pogoplug software, hence the "Pogoplug:~$" prompt.

Issuing a "uname -a" returns "Linux Pogoplug 2.6.22.18 #81 Tue Oct 19 16:05:00 PDT 2010 armv5tejl unknown" so it's still booting of the NAND.

I went to the /tmp for a listing and did not find a debian folder. So I created one and mounted /dev/sda1 to /tmp/debian.

I then went to the /tmp/debian/boot folder and do see the following files listed:
    System.map-2.6.32-5-kirkwood config-2.6.32-5-kirkwood initrd.img-2.6.32-5-kirkwood vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-kirkwood

So, Debian did install but I'm having the same problem.

How exactly do I get this to boot off the connected USB drive? What did I do wrong?

Any help would be appreciated

• cadre

Not all USB drives work as the boot-up device. Yours may be one of those. Please try another USB drive.

If you want to try it on a USB flash drive, you need to know the consensus here is that you shouldn't use a flash drive as OMV system drive. (See here.) So, while I am very happy with my OMV setup on a USB flash drive, you may want to install OMV on a regular USB hard drive.

HARDWARE: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2 | SYSTEM: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) aarch64

KERNEL: Linux 6.1.21-v8+ | PROCESSOR: BCM2835 (4) @ 1.500GHz | MEMORY: 4GB | STORAGE: MicroSD 60GB + HDD 6TB
    PLUGINS: nut, omvextrasorg, backup, compose, cputemp, flashmemory, kernel, remotemount, sharerootfs

• Thanks for the reply, but just to clarify I mis-spoke earlier. Actually I tried a USB Hard drive which is a Memorex 8gb with a spinning Seagate microdrive installed in it.

Then I tried a Sandisk Cruzer Professional 8gb USB Flash drive (I know it's not recommended) but got the exact same results as before.

Both times debian is installed and written to the first USB partition, but it's just not booting off of it.

Is there anything that I can do to check, verify, set, whatever as to why uboot just isn't booting off the usb?

I will try a full size 2.5" or 3.5" usb hard drive, but something just doesn't seem right?

• Some USB drives take a little longer to get ready and recognized by the U-Boot. To watch U-Boot booting process, you can follow the instruction in this post to setup a netconsole.

To allow USB drive more time to initialize, you can try setting usb_init as described in [url=http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,1915,2369#msg-2369]this post[/url]. A few posts down you can see a user having similar problems, and he posted his netconsole output. Maybe you can learn from his experiences. I set usb_init as described for my USB flash drive. So far it works well for cold and warm boots during my limited tests.

• Same problem - after a clean install, cannot boot (warm or cold) into the USB drive. Have used several SD cards, including the current Sandisk micro 4gb, vetted by the above referenced site.

I used fw_setenv to bump up the bootdelay and usb_rootdelay both to 15, to no effect. here's the output of fw_printenv:

Pogoplug:~$ /usr/sbin/fw_printenv
    ethact=egiga0
    baudrate=115200
    mainlineLinux=yes
    console=ttyS0,115200
    led_init=green blinking
    led_exit=green off
    led_error=orange blinking
    mtdparts=mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),4M(uImage),32M(rootfs),-(data)
    mtdids=nand0=orion_nand
    partition=nand0,2
    stdin=serial
    stdout=serial
    stderr=serial
    rescue_installed=0
    rescue_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=2 root=ubi0:rootfs ro rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $rescue_custom_params
    rescue_bootcmd=if test $rescue_installed -eq 1; then run rescue_set_bootargs; nand read.e 0x800000 0x100000 0x400000; bootm 0x800000; else run pogo_bootcmd; fi
    pogo_bootcmd=if fsload uboot-original-mtd0.kwb; then go 0x800200; fi
    force_rescue=0
    force_rescue_bootcmd=if test $force_rescue -eq 1 || ext2load usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme 1 || fatload usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme.txt 1; then run rescue_bootcmd; fi
    ubifs_mtd=3
    ubifs_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=$ubifs_mtd root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $ubifs_custom_params
    ubifs_bootcmd=run ubifs_set_bootargs; if ubi part data && ubifsmount rootfs && ubifsload 0x800000 /boot/uImage && ubifsload 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; fi
    usb_scan=usb_scan_done=0;for scan in $usb_scan_list; do run usb_scan_$scan; if test $usb_scan_done -eq 0 && ext2load usb $usb 0x800000 /boot/uImage 1; then usb_scan_done=1; echo "Found bootable drive on usb $usb"; setenv usb_device $usb; setenv usb_root /dev/$dev; fi; done
    usb_scan_list=1 2 3 4
    usb_scan_1=usb=0:1 dev=sda1
    usb_scan_2=usb=1:1 dev=sdb1
    usb_scan_3=usb=2:1 dev=sdc1
    usb_scan_4=usb=3:1 dev=sdd1
    usb_init=run usb_scan
    usb_device=0:1
    usb_root=/dev/sda1
    usb_rootfstype=ext2
    usb_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$usb_rootdelay rootfstype=$usb_rootfstype $mtdparts $usb_custom_params
    usb_bootcmd=run usb_init; run usb_set_bootargs; run usb_boot
    usb_boot=mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi
    bootcmd=usb start; run force_rescue_bootcmd; run ubifs_bootcmd; run usb_bootcmd; usb stop; run rescue_bootcmd; run pogo_bootcmd; reset
    ethaddr=00:25:31:02:E6:99
    arcNumber=2097
    usb_rootdelay=15
    bootdelay=15
    Pogoplug:~$

Also, as previously suggested by kochin, I tried to mount the sd card, but got this instead:

Pogoplug:~$ mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/debian
    mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /tmp/debian failed: No such file or directory
    Pogoplug:~$

But when I mounted just the /tmp node, it worked. And then discovered that there was no /tmp/debian directory (sic!) So even though the installation seemed successful, it wasn't !!! :o

Update: I re-ran kochin's script, but this time replacing (export PATH=/usr/sbin:$PATH) with the "export" command from the doozan.com/debian site (export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin). This time the installation completed clean again, AND this time I could mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/debian. All the debian directories and files were there, including the boot files. I thought YIPEE!! :D success. However :cry: upon rebooting (warm and cold) neither debian (USB drive) nor Pogoplug (NAND) booted up. The green light was solid, but I could not ssh into the IP address. Ouch!

Conclusion: changing the export command allowed for a clean debian install, including an overwrite of the NAND bootcmd - finally!. But somehow the system still could not boot the USB drive (4GB Sandisk micro SD card), probably a uBoot/bootloader problem. Oh well, two steps forward, one step back... :? Before rebooting, I ran fw_printenv, blparam, dmesg, but not sure if these point to the problem. Maybe??

• Alright, I really hope someone here can advise as to what exactly my problem is trying to get debian squeeze to boot. I'm using a Pogo Plug E02 with a usb hard drive in a dock, followed the instructions as usual, but only boots into the pogoplug environment.

I know that debian installed fine to /dev/sda1, because if I create /tmp/debain and mount it there I can see all of the files.

I have increased bootdelay to 15, and usbrootdelay to 15; no differences. The output of my fw_printenv is almost identical to what 1coyote1 posted above.

I have setup netconsole and can provide the following output during boot up?

Here is the output shown by netconsole during boot (both cold and warm) didn't change a thing...

U-Boot 2011.12 (Feb 20 2012 - 21:21:59)
    Pogoplug E02
    arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) 4.4.1
    GNU ld (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) 2.19.51.20090709
    Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
    (Re)start USB...
    USB: Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
    USB EHCI 1.00
    scanning bus for devices... 3 USB Device(s) found
    scanning bus for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found
    Loading file "/rescueme" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)
    ** File not found /rescueme
    reading /rescueme.txt

** Unable to read "/rescueme.txt" from usb 0:1 **
    Creating 1 MTD partitions on "nand0":
    0x000002500000-0x000008000000 : "mtd=3"
    UBI: attaching mtd1 to ubi0
    UBI: physical eraseblock size: 131072 bytes (128 KiB)
    UBI: logical eraseblock size: 129024 bytes
    UBI: smallest flash I/O unit: 2048
    UBI: sub-page size: 512
    UBI: VID header offset: 512 (aligned 512)
    UBI: data offset: 2048
    UBI: attached mtd1 to ubi0
    UBI: MTD device name: "mtd=3"
    UBI: MTD device size: 91 MiB
    UBI: number of good PEBs: 727
    UBI: number of bad PEBs: 1
    UBI: max. allowed volumes: 128
    UBI: wear-leveling threshold: 4096
    UBI: number of internal volumes: 1
    UBI: number of user volumes: 0
    UBI: available PEBs: 716
    UBI: total number of reserved PEBs: 11
    UBI: number of PEBs reserved for bad PEB handling: 7
    UBI: max/mean erase counter: 1/1
    UBIFS error (pid 0): ubifs_get_sb: cannot open "ubi:rootfs", error -19
    Error reading superblock on volume 'ubi:rootfs'!
    Loading file "/boot/uImage" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)
    ** File not found /boot/uImage
    ** Block device usb 1 not supported
    ** Block device usb 2 not supported
    ** Block device usb 3 not supported
    Loading file "/boot/uImage" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)
    ** File not found /boot/uImage
    Loading file "/boot/uInitrd" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)
    ** File not found /boot/uInitrd
    Wrong Image Format for bootm command
    ERROR: can't get kernel image!
    stopping USB..
    ### JFFS2 loading 'uboot-original-mtd0.kwb' to 0x800000
    Scanning JFFS2 FS: .......... done.
    ### JFFS2 load complete: 524288 bytes loaded to 0x800000
    ## Starting application at 0x00800200 ...

Then I get the green light, and I'm back at the pogoplug prompt.

Anyone?

• Zitat von "1coyote1"

I used fw_setenv to bump up the bootdelay and usb_rootdelay both to 15, to no effect.

Instead of changing bootdelay and usb_rootdelay, I applied this command:

Code
    fw_setenv usb_init 'usb stop; usb start; run usb_scan'

You can try it out to see if it works for you. I think it makes sense to restart USB before doing the scan.

Zitat von "1coyote1"

Update: I re-ran kochin's script, but this time replacing (export PATH=/usr/sbin:$PATH) with the "export" command from the doozan.com/debian site (export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin).

I recalled that I verified those two export commands gave the same result on my PogoPlug. But, just to prevent problems for others, I will change my original instruction to follow doozan's. Thanks.

Zitat von "1coyote1"

But somehow the system still could not boot the USB drive (4GB Sandisk micro SD card), probably a uBoot/bootloader problem.

My SanDisk Cruzer Blade 4GB worked very reliable with this setup, more reliable than my Toshiba 2GB currently used. But you seem to use a USB adapter with 4GB SD card, and I suspect that might cause problems booting up. Next, you can try setting up netconsole to watch the U-Boot starting up. Maybe it will reveal some clues.

• It appears the installation didn't finish completely. Near the end of the installation process, the script is supposed to run mkimage command twice to create /boot/uImage and /boot/uInitrd. The U-Boot started up successfully and found your USB storage device, but couldn't find those two files to boot into Debian.

• Alright, anyone that has had trouble just installing Debian on a POGO-E02 Pogoplug like I have, I've found a solution after A LOT of searching and time.

To recap I tried multiple USB sticks, even a 2.5" laptop drive in a USB dock, nothing ultimately worked, but each time I could see and verify that debian did install to the USB device during the installation script, but after rebooting the Pogoplug it never seemed to boot off the USB and would always boot off the Pogoplug software.

Just to clarify, I followed this page for the Debian Squeeze.
    http://projects.doozan.com/debian/

But in order to actually get Debain to boot off USB, I had to do the following in addition.

After Jeff's script finishes running and asks you to reboot, choose NO.

mount the /dev/sda1 partition (the first partition that Debian installed to) to the /tmp/debian folder

Code
    mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/debian

Code
    cd /tmp/debian/usr/bin

issue these commands

Code
    ./mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel  -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-2.6.32-5-kirkwood -d ../../boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-kirkwood ../../boot/uImage
    ./mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x00000000 -e 0x00000000 -n initramfs-2.6.32-5-kirkwood -d ../../boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-kirkwood ../../boot/uInitrd

Lastly I un-mounted the USB by...

Code
    cd /tmp

Code
    umount /dev/sda1

reboot

After reboot, I saw that the Pogoplug associated with a different IP address, so check your DHCP server.
    SSH to the new IP, login is root and password is root
    issue a uname -a to verify your kernel.

Note, with this POGO-E02 on this version of kernel, the "status" light will remain orange, but that is normal.

For reference and credit, I found this information at the links below.
    Your mileage may vary but this worked for me...

Originally, Okigan's post on this thread
    http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,11396

And David's help on this thread
    http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12061

• Glad to see you worked out the problem.
    So it turned out that those 2 mkimage commands indeed were the culprit. I wonder what caused them to fail or not execute.

• Cadre, and kochin,
    Thanks for your relentless detective work. I was heading toward the same solution, but you got there first and confirmed it worked. I repeated your steps and the installation went through clean. However, I could not ssh into a reboot (hot or cold) on the debian USB, even though I have the Pogoplug's IP set static. While it shows active on the network at that IP address, I cannot access it. Although I can ssh into the Pogoplug NAND when the USB thumbdrive (Verbatim Store-n-Go) is removed.

Closer, but no cigar...

• 1coyote1, I would say that you really need to setup netconsole and see what is being displayed.
    http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,14,14

Also, if you're using putty.exe for SSH, depending on your DHCP scope or even your prior history; I would clear out all of your old SSHhostkeys from the registry.
    Look in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY\SshHostKeys and delete those entries.

Also to note, that while I have finally been able to install Debian Squeeze and successfully connect and configure this, I still have not been able to actually install OMV to it and login to it's webgui with default login credentials.

Between the xmlstarlet, and collectd erroring out, and some file permissions not being applied properly; I'm still working on that.

I think this has been solved in this thread.
    http://forums.openmediavault.o…83&p=5902&hilit=ARM#p5902

• Thanks for all these tips, cadre. The link at the bottom of your above post related to logging into OMV, not the PP itself. I had previously cleared out the windows registry keys, to no avail. Running netconsole seems like a good thing to do, but when I install the windows version of it - netcat - the screen disappears each time I enter a command. Perhaps everyone that can use netconsole successfully has a linux desktop, don't know. But I can't get windows to work for me.

It's a mystery why we have such a problem, first just booting into the USB drive with debian installed - although you have at least gotten this far - and then installing OMV. Kochin is the only one I know for certain who has gone all the way. I can't imagine that your and my experience is so exceptional. "Perseverance furthers" - up to a point! :roll:

• Pogoplug POGO-E02 Debian / Openmediavault install notes

I had multiple problems trying to install Debian (and OpenMediaVault) on my pogoplug and couldn't find all of the answers in one place, so this is my attempt to try and consolidate all of my steps that I took to accomplish this.

I realize that some, if not most of these commands are not needed for the more veteran people, but this is geared towards the noobs...so bare with me.

Preparing the drive

I'm using an 8gb Sandisk Cruzer Professional usb drive, but I'll create partitions that would fit on a 4gb drive because I'll plan to use USB Image Tool to create "device" backups that I can compress (hopefully without data loss) and restore on other available USB drives if needed. Before I plugged it into the pogoplug, I put into a Win7 machine and started up diskpart to completely "clean" and erase the drive before use.

Note: Realize what you're doing here, DON'T select the wrong drive to clean, or you'll be sorry!

Start, Run, diskpart

list disk

select disk # (# = your usb drive)

clean

exit

the usb drive is now completely erased and empty

Installing Debian Squeeze

Main project page is here
    http://projects.doozan.com/debian/

Now, SSH to the pogoplug. Default login is root and default password is ceadmin

just in case, kill all pogoplug call-home software with:

Code
    killall hbwd

plug in the usb drive into the usb port closest to the network port.

We need to create partitions on the usb drive for debian.

Code
    cd /tmp

Code
    fdisk /dev/sda

Create the primary Debian install partition

n = new
    p = primary
    1 = 1st partition
    1 = 1st cylinder
    +2500M (your choice, I choose to create 2500Mb partition for Debain install)

Create the swap file partition

n = new
    p = primary
    2 = 2nd partition
    enter = choose default (continuing from the end of the 1st partition)
    +1000M = (your choice, I choose to create a 1000M partition for swap)

change partition type for primary
    t = type
    1 = 1st partition
    83 = Linux
    change partition type for swap
    t = type
    2 = 2nd partition
    82 = Linux swap

Set 1st partition to active for booting
    a = boot flag
    1 = 1st partition

print partition tables to verify

writes changes and exit Fdisk
    w

Continue following Jeff's install for Debian Squeeze
    make sure you are in the /tmp folder, this is the only folder with read write access.

Code
    cd /tmp

Code
    wget http://projects.doozan.com/debian/dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh

Code
    chmod +x dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh

Code
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin

Code
    ./dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh

After the install script finishes, it will ask if you want to Reboot now?

Choose NO

For whatever reason the install script doesn't seem to properly create the boot images needed to work properly so we have to manually create them.

We need to mount the 1st partition (where Debian was installed) to the /tmp/debian folder.

Code
    mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/debian

Now we need to change directory to the /tmp/debian/usr/bin folder because that's where the executables files are.

Code
    cd /tmp/debian/usr/bin

Now issue these two commands to manually create the images needed to boot properly

Code
    ./mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel  -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-2.6.32-5-kirkwood -d ../../boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-kirkwood ../../boot/uImage

Code
    ./mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x00000000 -e 0x00000000 -n initramfs-2.6.32-5-kirkwood -d ../../boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-kirkwood ../../boot/uInitrd

You should have seen the Linux-2.6-32-5-kirkwood image created after the first command, and initramfs-2.6.32-5-kirkwood image created after the second command.

We now should un-mount the usb drive before restarting

Code
    cd /tmp

Code
    umount /dev/sda1

Setting up NetConsole
    http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,14,14

Before rebooting the pogoplug, you might want to setup Netconsole to review the boot-up process in case trouleshooting is needed.
    This is not required at all, but optional.

Configuring the pogoplug for your network with Netconsole

on the pogoplug, change to the /usr/sbin directory where the fw_setenv and fw_printevn files reside

From Jeff's post, you'll see we need to add 5 lines or variables, but substitute the "serverip" with your netconsole "server" or station to view the pogoplug boot process, and the "ipaddr" with the IP address that you'll assign to the pogoplug. Don't use an IP address that is currently in use or part of a DHCP pool for the pogoplug.

My netconsole "server" IP will be 192.168.0.25, and I choose 192.168.0.90 for the pogoplug, so one line at a time, I entered the following.

fw_setenv serverip 192.168.0.25
    fw_setenv ipaddr 192.168.0.90
    fw_setenv if_netconsole 'ping $serverip'
    fw_setenv start_netconsole 'setenv ncip $serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc; version;'
    fw_setenv preboot 'run if_netconsole start_netconsole'

I'm using Windows so I downloaded the windows port.
    http://www.rodneybeede.com/Com…_Windows_using_MinGW.html

I downloaded and extracted the file to a folder I created in the root of my system drive, just for quicker access from a command prompt.
    If your using Vista or Win 7, be sure to right click Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator"
    change directory to where you extracted the files

issue this command within the command prompt window
    nc -l -u -p 6666

Expand the command prompt to cover the full height of your desktop

Now on the pogoplug, we'll finally issue the reboot command.

reboot

Watch the netconsole window for the boot process.

Finally, if the last line reads "Starting kernel..." then Debian squeeze sucessfully booted!

*See attached picture*

In my experience, the pogoplug plug booting and running Debian never uses the same IP address as before, so check you DHCP server to see what IP address was taken. Also, don’t worry about the status LED being orange, that’s normal for this version of kernel on the pogoplug.

SSH to the new IP address.
    default login is root
    default passwor is root

Note, if you can't SSH to it ( but know that Debian booted) then you may have to clear old SSHhostkeys from your computer.

after logging in, check your kernel with

Code
    uname -a

Now at this point you're done with Debian Squeeze, and can install just about any packages you want to; but if you want to continue with installing Openmediavault read on....

This is another area where I had many, many problems actually getting OMV to install and work, and again I could not find all of the answers in the same place.
    I know this is a little verbose for some, but this works for me...

I'll be jumping straight to the current version of OMV which in currently the .4.x branch

Update everything...

Code
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

since this updates the kernel, I'll reboot here.

Code
    reboot

SSH back to the pogoplug

Since the OMV .4.x branch has some dependencies we'll install those first, along with some other things...

Code
    apt-get update
    apt-get install nano
    apt-get install sudo
    apt-get install lm-sensors
    apt-get install xmlstarlet
    wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xmlstarlet/xmlstarlet_1.4.2-1_armel.deb
    dpkg -i xmlstarlet_1.4.2-1_armel.deb
    apt-get install postfix

(during postfix installation I choose "no configuration")

there are some things that we need to configure before and after installing OpenMediaVault to avoid errors during the install process, which I believe may apply to any existing Debian system?
    Anyway, during the OMV install, collectd will fail if it can't resolve the host name, so we need to add the current pogoplug IP address and host name to the /etc/hosts file

currently my pogoplug is using IP 192.168.0.31 with a host name of debian, so I'll added a line of:
    192.168.0.31 debian to the /etc/hosts file

Code
    nano /etc/hosts

add line:
    192.168.0.31 debian
    after the "local host" entry

Ctrl+O
    enter, to save changes
    Ctrl+X, to exit

Also, since the default "user" account that OMV expects is admin which currently doesn't exist, we need to create it...

Code
    adduser admin

*note* whatever password that you give user "admin" this will also be the password for admin when logging into OMV web-interface after installation!

Now we will reboot before installing OMV

Code
    reboot

SSH back to the pogoplug
    Now we'll add the OMV repository and perform the install

We need to create /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list file

Code
    nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list

in the blank file, add...

Code
    deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public fedaykin main

save and exit

Code
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault

Configuring mdadm
    MD arrays needed for root file system, entered = none
    ProFTPd run from inetd
    Samba Server, input whatever your workgroup name is, or default

after OMV finishes installing, we need to cleanup and configure some more things.

we installed sudo earlier, but need to add user 'admin'

Code
    visudo

at the end of the file, add...

Code
    admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

save and exit

we also need to add user 'admin' to the openmediavault group

Code
    adduser admin openmediavault

next, we need to give group openmediavalut permission to the /etc/shawdow file, for web authentication to work.

first verify current permissions

Code
    ls -la /etc/shadow

if it reads
    -rw-r----- 1 root root, then we need to change it.

Code
    chown root:openmediavault /etc/shadow

verify the change with...

Code
    ls -la /etc/shadow

should include openmediavault now

since we've changed some permissions around, we are going to re-initialize omv and restart apache

Code
    omv-initsystem

Code
    service apache2 restart

pull up a web brower at the pogoplug IP address

login = admin
    password = (the password you gave user admin during creation earlier)

once logged in to OMV, first enable SSH, then let's set or change the system time, time zone, and configure Primary DNS under network, DNS Server tab

after verifying that SSH is enabled, we'll reboot the system

I don't believe that I've left anything out, but you should be all done now.

I didn't solve any of these problems, but just couldn't all the solutions in the same place, so anyone trying to install debian squeeze or OpenMediaVault on a Pogoplug POGO-E02 I hope this can be your guide.

• cadre,

Excellent work!

My PogoPlug (POGO-E02) suddenly stopped responding last week, and was no longer able to boot from the system USB drive and my backup USB drive. (No, those USB drives didn't die on me. They are still in good condition. Just the PogoPlug box wouldn't boot from them for some mysterious reason.) The incident gave me a chance to revisit my own notes and reinstall the system fresh. After several experiments and comparing your notes, here are my observations:

• Setting time before running dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh reduces unwanted warning/error.
    • CRUCIAL: dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh indeed fails to create uImage and uInitrd. Must run mkimage as you documented.
    • CRUCIAL: After reboot into debian, correct the owner and group properties on /etc/shadow to root:shadow.
    • CRUCIAL: Must set the fully qualified domain name in /etc/hosts and hostname in /etc/hostname. Some packages need to resolve them.
    • /etc/apt/source.list should also have this line: "deb http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates main" for security updates
    • Packages apt-utils and whiptail should be installed before anything else to reduce complaining about configurations.
    • Packages libxml2 and xmlstarlet from Debian Wheezy have to be installed before OpenMediaVault.
    • Packages sudo and postfix will be installed as dependencies when installing OMV. It is not necessary to install them before hand.
    • Package lm-sensors is not used by OMV. Install it only you need it.
    • There is no need to create user admin. It will be created during OMV installation.
    • Don't need to make admin a sudoer or add it into openmediavault group. User admin is only used as the credential to log in Web GUI. All tasks are actually performed by user openmediavault who is a sudoer.
    • /etc/shadow should have root:shadow as its owner and group. Anything else may potentially break packages related to user authentication.
    • As long as the crucial points above are met, installation of openmediavault should automatically setup everything properly. There is no need to run omv-initsystem afterward.
    • Restarting apache2 might not be needed, but may still be a good idea.
    • The default Debian installation has LANG=C, which causes problems with UTF-8 folder names in OMV. Need to install package locales, and run dpkg-reconfigure to generate a UTF-8 locale and set it as default.

• hi-

Cadre thanks for posting a really clear and helpful guide. I have done hackintosh installs before but this is kinda new to me :)

2 questions for anyone to answer:
    1) I am installing on a 16Gb USB Sandisk stick...I notice Cadre says to make a SWAP partition, but isn't that bad for USB drives?
    2) should it be ext2 / ext3 - does it matter? I recall reading the ARCH linux said to use ext3? I a am a linux newb so jsut wanted to check
    3) Open media vault 0.5 is now out - does it matter which I install?

thanks!

• Hmm ...

got as far as the debian-squeez.sh runnign until it stopped and said debootstrap failed:
    "# Starting debootstrap installation
    E: unrecognized or invalid option --no-check-gpg
    debootstrap failed.
    See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for more information." but this log does not exist? debootstrap folder is there though.

• Hi battez,

welcome to the forums.
    As you're new here you may not noticed that is it not recommend to install OMV on an USB Stick. Get rid of that solution or OMV will take of it and will get rid of the USB Stick itself - which means even if it runs for several weeks, it will toast your USB Stick!

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!