Installing OMV as VM in ESXi 5.5 on N54L?

• Hi all,

I'm really new to this NAS-thing and also to virtualization.

Right now I've got ESXi 5.5 running on my N54L and set up Synology DSM 5.0 as my first (and main) VM.
    ESXi runs from a 8GB USB-stick, its datastorage for the VMs is a 128GB SanDisk-SSD.

My two 4TB-HDDs are connected via RDM to DSM 5.0.

Now i want to set up OMV as another VM, and I don't know where to start!

I've created a new VM (Debian 64-bit with 2GB RAM) and downloaded the latest openmediavault_0.5.48_amd64.iso (261.1 MB).

What do I have to do now? :?:

The main goal is to access all my files within DSM via SMB/NFS-shares from OMV later.

Best regards and thanks in advance for your help

Mischa

• Zitat von "manwald"

The main goal is to access all my files within DSM via SMB/NFS-shares from OMV later.

Okay I am not really sure what DSM exactly is doing, that OMV is not doing, but anyway might be a good concept.

What is not a good concept is, that you want to access the files from DSM via CIFS/NFS to OMV.

Maybe I do not understood right. Can you describe a little bit more in detail, what you plan to do with OMV after you mounted the disks via SMB/NFS from DMS to OMV?

By default, the system does not allow you to reshare a network filesystem within OMV. OMV wants to be the primary owner of the data it serves.

Maybe there are technical ways to achieve that, but I believe, that this might not be the best setup. I also have not seen this concept working and maybe it utterly fails.

So if you can describe a little bit more, what you are aiming for with the concept in the end (what should OMV do for you and why do you use DSM as primary platform etc. pp.), then I believe we can support you in finding the best possible solution for your requirement.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!