Any Hardware Build Guide?

• Hi,

Is there a hardware guide for OMV? I am looking to build my own NAS Server for the fun of the challenge. My goal is to have a low power server which can do the NAS function nicely while allowing to use the server for some light tasks such as surfing the web ans watching some videos.

Many experienced users had advised that it is very important to use ECC RAM. This requires a server board and the solution is expensive and not energy friendly. There are cheap 2nd hand, used servers, but they are rack mounted and probably very noisy and energy consuming.

What are the risks of *NOT* using ECC? I suppose the pre-built NAS like Synology or Thecus don't use ECC RAM. If so, how can they get away with non-ECC RAM? In case it's OK to go with non-ECC RAM. Can you please recommend a desktop CPU & Motherboard?

Thank you in advance for any help.

• It is my opinion that you do not need ECC unless you plan to use ZFS down the road. I don't think most people are qualified to use ZFS. If you use non ECC ram it is good idea to test your system once it is built with Memtest. You burn an ISO and boot to it before you install the operating system. If you run a couple passes with no errors the odds that you will have ram issues are really low. When I build a new system I always test it before installing the operating system. Some times I have had a bad stick of ram, usually just one. So you catch the problem before you have any major issues. I'm aware of some computer repair shops adding dissimilar sticks of ram and not testing. It destroyed some people's data that I know. It is dumbest sh** ever. Always use the same kind of ram. Do not use different types of sticks. Test with Memtest. Live by it and you will be a happy man.

http://www.memtest.org/

Most of us recommend a small SSD for the system drive. I let others recommend cpu & mobo. The new haswell cpus are awesome and there are some nice low powered ones. In a server where you are going to add multiple data drives the case is usually important too.

• Surfing with your NAS? Who would do that ^^. Tough this and watching Videos should be possible with Haswell CPUs.

The HP Microservers support ECC RAM and are one of the cheapest NAS solutions out there. Wether or not ECC RAM, its just a "religious war". I don't know much Users who use it and I don't use it either.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

It is my opinion that you do not need ECC unless you plan to use ZFS down the road. I don't think most people are qualified to use ZFS.

Fortunately it is in my habits to follow exactly your recommendations regarding memory quality: always use same modules, buy quality RAM, and I test Memtest THREE full days.

So EEC RAM is required for ZFS? I'll read more about ZFS to learn what it is about. So we can do OK with ext4 for example? Nevertheless, if the hardware is of good quality. If I use ext4 with non-ECC ram, what would happen in case of unexpected events such as power loss or hang up due to a software bug (let's say I am playing a video on the OMV server and the player hangs the server)?

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Surfing with your NAS? Who would do that ^^. Tough this and watching Videos should be possible with Haswell CPUs

Sorry I didn't clearly describe the context specific to my scenario. I plan to put the server in the family room. It will just sit besides the TV. Currently I use a crappy media player AVerLife ExtremeVision. I figure that it would be convenient to use the OMV Server to replace that media player. And because it's a computer, so may be we can use it for some casual surfings.

Do you think if this kind of usage is OK or is it a big no-no to avoid absolutey?

• On any server you should be using a battery backup. This is best measure against data loss in case or power failure (or glitches, brownouts, etc..). People that have not used a battery backup have had problems with RAID and LVM. Always use a battery backup device.

• ECC doesn't offer you anything in advance in case of power loss. The risk of data corruption in that particular moment does not get lower with ECC. Only a UPS will do you any good in case of power failure.

About your Entertainment Center for your living room: Get a dedicated device for that (e.g. an Intel NUC, even the BayTrail Celeron/Atom version will suffice, around 110€).

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!