Installing OMV on Zyxel NSA325(ARM)

• Hi.
    When I was looking for information how to flash a custom firmware on NSA325v2, I encountered these 2 topics:
    http://zyxel.nas-central.org/w/index.php?title=Debian_on_325
    http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=249&t=15633

But my question is, is these tutorials still valid? I mean, they are pretty old and they are referring to Debian 3.14 and OMV 0.x (and probably Debian is currently @ 4.xx and OMV is 4.1.3 - http://www.openmediavault.org/download.html).

I have a pretty basic knowledge about Linux, shells, uboot etc.
    Is there some newer step-by-step tutorial for noobs?

I was looking into this topic, several pages, but the longer I read, the more complicated things are... Am I supposed to flash "uboot" first (whatever it is) in order to boot newer version of OMV?

I would not like to brick my device, so I prefer to ask first...

• Hello!

I looking for a similar solutions. Did you find something on other topic/forum ?

Best regards,
    Silviu

Hi.
    I've sold my Zyxel about a year ago and I've built my custom made server with Intel i3 and 4 GB RAM.
    I totally recommend this! Now I have a powerful NAS with current OMV, which is far beyond better than regular NASes like Synology or similar.
    For example, I run virtual machine with Lubuntu directly on my NAS

• Hello!

I looking for a similar solutions. Did you find something on other topic/forum ?

Best regards,
    Silviu

I followed this guide with google translate,

http://www.techdudes.de/1930/z…n-und-openmediavault-omv/

It seems to have worked fine, I do recommend checking between the translated and not translated as you move on. Since translate has som problem with bash things. (nas540)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I already have Debian installed

Which Debian version?

If it is Buster or Bullseye, you can try to use the script from here

GitHub - OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript: script that installs omv-extras and openmediavault if not installed already.
    script that installs omv-extras and openmediavault if not installed already. - GitHub - OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript: script that installs…
    github.com

You should not use Buster as the related OMV version is end of life. So better to start with Bullseye (Debian 11).

Sid will not work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The nsa325 is armel and not supported by omvextras. With 512MB of ram and a super slow cpu, it isn't worth running OMV on.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have Debian 11.6 on a USB stick, unfortunately the script from github runs for a few seconds but does not install.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You didn't cut & paste the command correctly. You missed the pipe to bash at the end of the command. So, wget just output the contents of the script to the terminal.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Thank you, deleting sudo removed too much, another problem popped up

Zitat

None Trying to run as user instance, but the system has not been booted with systemd

I installed systemd. another problem with

Zitat

The /usr directories seem not to be migrated.

I integrated and re-launched the script, this time it worked, including the omission of the network configuration (as it was in the instructions), I restarted, but I can't connect to OMV. only shh debian connection work.

I started the script again

• Offizieller Beitrag

I installed systemd. another problem with

OMV requires systemd be the init system. just installing the package isn't enough.

Unsupported architecture :: armel

As I said in post #28 a few posts up. omv-extras hasn't supported armel since early in the OMV 3.x days. They are too slow and don't have enough ram.

• Hi, thank you for your answers.

Zitat

As I said in post #28 a few posts up. omv-extras hasn't supported armel since early in the OMV 3.x days. They are too slow and don't have enough ram.

There is no chance of installation, I ask because in various forums about OSM and NSA325 was raised that they installed but wrote people about a different version of Debian and OSM, so I ask if it is possible not about the speed demon, but whether it is possible to run to give another life.whether to send to electronic waste.

Thank you for everything.
    Regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no chance of installation, I ask because in various forums about OSM and NSA325 was raised that they installed but wrote people about a different version of Debian and OSM, so I ask if it is possible not about the speed demon, but whether it is possible to run to give another life.whether to send to electronic waste.

If you want to ignore me, that is fine but it won't be easy. Read ALL of this thread if you want to more - OMV 5 on a ARM based QNAP TS410 If something is still missing, search the forum.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!