USB Backup -- Modal Dialog

• In another of my nitpicky observations about OMV...

When running a backup via USB Backup -> Run, a Modal dialog is opened which can not be closed until the backup is completed. This can take hours.

If possible, a better design might be to add the backup to a run queue and return control of the dialog back to the user.

If this seems sane I'll open a bug. But before doing that I wanted to get developer feedback on why and how they made their design decisions.

• USB Backup is a core plugin. Therefore Bugreports of it can be posted here: http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It should be only run once though. The next time you plug the device in, it will run automatically.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Good Morning,

i configured it yesterday and was also quit surprised, that this Popup appeared.
    As dfarning said already, it can take hours until you finish successfully the first "Fullbackup"

Thanks for opening the Ticket, because you are not able to do anything with the Webgui
    when this Job is running. Good to hear, that it runs next time autom. plugging in the drive.
    Because if not, (knowing that this Plugin is rsync based).. i would ask if there is a possibility
    to run it in a cron job (in the background).

dfarning...
    Did you also observe that the Jobs are stopping with an error "Communication Problem / Error" ?
    Confirming this with a click on "Ok" you are "not" able to run it again.. just another Job (which hopefully runs until the end)
    i guess that i have to stop the service or reboot OMV to make it run again.. still didn´t try it because jobs are still running, so that i can do it after finishing the next running job.

Asus Z97M-Plus / Intel Core i5 / 16 GB RAM / System: 120 GB Intel SSD / RAID 1 - 2 x 4 TB Seagate ST4000VN000 / USB Backup HDD - Seagate Backup Plus Desktop STCA4000200

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    Kernel 4.19.0.0 bpo4 - amd64
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• because you are not able to do anything with the Webgui
    when this Job is running.

Refresh the WebGUI, the rsync job continues in the background and you can use the WebGUI again.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I think that we might be approaching the situation from different perspectives.

As new users, discovering how OpenMediaVault works, Sunseeker and I were confused when the behavior of this Gui pane appears to work differently than other panes. The behavior is not wrong, it is just unexpected.

When reviewing other devices such as routers, nas's, and printers, discoverability is very high on users list of desirable features.

One solution might be to relabel the 'Run' button to 'Run a Test Sync.' That would make the pane a bit more consistent with the notification pane.

@Sunseeker, I have had very good success with rsync on OMV. On my little arm devices the CPU tends to max out at 8-10MB/s transfer speed. However I have never noticed an rsync related error.

• Refresh the WebGUI, the rsync job continues in the background and you can use the WebGUI again.

Greetings
    David

I tried it, result... i was not able to see the content of the actual running job anymore (how to check it ? do i have to trust that the running job runs till the end successfully ?

Asus Z97M-Plus / Intel Core i5 / 16 GB RAM / System: 120 GB Intel SSD / RAID 1 - 2 x 4 TB Seagate ST4000VN000 / USB Backup HDD - Seagate Backup Plus Desktop STCA4000200

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• At the moment - yes. Maybe Volker will integrate a progress bar or at least a "in progress" and "done" field... You can add that in the feature request dfarning already opened.

@dfarning
    can you add this please additionally to your last feature request ? Thanks

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• I looked into it a bit when I first ran into the situation.

I don't think there is a way to correctly determine overall progress with RSYNC. A progress meter would require know how much work is left to be done.... But rsync doesn't know if a file needs to be synced until it does the checksum of a particular file. If you manually run rsync with the '--progress' argument it gives you a progress bar for each individual file rather the progress as a whole.

Davidh2k's recommendation that refreshing the gui will close the modal dialog while the job continues implies that the frontend and backend are loosely coupled. I'll poke around in the code a bit before making any how making any recommendation about how to reduce user confusion without increasing developer complexity.

• I don't think there is a way to correctly determine overall progress with RSYNC.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/s…ess-during-file-transfer/

Zitat

The --info=progress2 option shows statistics based on the
    whole transfer, rather than individual files. Use this flag without
    outputting a filename (e.g. avoid -v or specify --info=name0 if you want
    to see how the transfer is doing without scrolling the screen with a
    lot of names.

Davidh2k's recommendation that refreshing the gui will close the modal dialog while the job continues implies that the frontend and backend are loosely coupled.

Roughly spoken, the GUI 'sends' all commands to a RPC which works as a handler and takes care of all processes started via the GUI. The RPC is a system daemon.

Greetings
    David

• Good morning,

good news ! I decided in the meanwhile not to use the USB Backup / rsync based option, because rsync does not support Unicode and thats a problem for me :( Finally i created a simple copy-script using "cp -u" for example and thats enough for me.

Greetings

Andre

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• fixed upstream with informational dialog.

TW is marking a thread solved a user task or a moderator task. I have never used this forum software before.

Both. ;)

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!