Using VMware : How do I see drives?

• Hey there. I just installed OMV as a Virtual Machine using VMware. I can see the the virtual drive in the Physical Disks tab, however I can not figure out how to see my physical disks. I have a 2TB hdd split into 2 partitions. How would I go about setting this up? I am fairly new to file servers.

• Huh? Are your physical disks mapped to the VM via RDM? If not, how should you be able to see them?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I am not 100% sure about this, but I believe that you cannot RDM a partition, but only a whole disk. So

The thing you want is not really working...

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Yes, if you want to see the physical drives in ESXi VM, you have 2 options:
    1. Use RDM (Raw Disk Map), you may find a lot of guide on Google about how-to;
    2. If your hardware is able of VT-d (need motherboard, CPU, BIOS support), you can use "PCI pass through" functionality to route a storage controller to VM, ESXi is much simple to configure pass through;

OMV 1.0.x built in ESXi 5.0 U3
    3x2T WD Green + 1x2T Seagate + 4x3T Seagate
    1x500G Seagate for dedicated BT/PT download
    LSI9211-8i pass through

• But still you cannot RDM a partition, only a full drive.

Someone needs to own the drive - either ESXi or the VM. Having two different authorities on one drive will not work.

So you can not use partition 1 of a physical drive in ESXi to create a data store and partition 2 of the same physical drive to put it through via RDM to a vm.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• of cause RDM is not for partition, based on its full name - Raw Disk Mapping, it's totally for disk. If OP's intention is to use hypervisor's disk where host OS installed, I don't think there is an available option.

OMV 1.0.x built in ESXi 5.0 U3
    3x2T WD Green + 1x2T Seagate + 4x3T Seagate
    1x500G Seagate for dedicated BT/PT download
    LSI9211-8i pass through

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!