Virtual Machines on Raid: anyone else doing this?

• Hello,

I have an HP microserver with 16GB of server memory and 6x4TB raid 5 (one is kept for a hotspare).
    I plan to run virtual machines from this setup but I'm unsure of the performance of running VMs on the raid. For those that have tried or are doing it, I would appreciate your input. I plan to run PFSense and maybe one other lightweight virtual machine.

• Would you recommend it?
    • Was the performance of the VM(s) satisfactory?
    • What VMs were you running? This is important as some systems are resource hogs compared to others.
  • I´m using VirtualMachines with my N40L. Windows 7, Ubuntu and a normal debian wheezy.

So... The performance is absolutely ok. I do not run all three VM´s at the same time. Usually only one at a time. But two small and light VM´s should work without any problem.

Btw. in this machine I only have 4 GB of RAM. W7 runs with 2GB. ;)

• Thanks. I really don't see much of anyone talking about Docker and since I'm fairly new to OMV and Unix, I think I'll stick with Virtualbox since there seems to be more people using it and hopefully, more people that can help if I need it!

• You defenitely get more help HERE when using OMV and the virtualbox-plugin than using docker and Virtualbox. Since I do not use docker -yet-, I cannot say if somwhere else you would get more infos about that. If you have any problem, feel free to create a thread :thumbup:

• Well, Docker differs much from Virtualbox. Docker is a daemon that packs one (!) process into a encapsulated container with its own filesystem etc. Docker is limited to exactly one process per container (okay, you can probably run more with screen, but thats not the purpose of it). This means you need multiple Containers if you want to run a dedicated Website (one Container) and the corresponding Database has to run in a second Container.

VirtualBox on the other hand is a full, software based virtualization system which allows to virtualize full systems.

Greetings
    David

PS: And I would like to see more of Docker on OpenMediaVault ;)

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Well, Docker differs much from Virtualbox. Docker is a daemon that packs one (!) process into a encapsulated container with its own filesystem etc. Docker is limited to exactly one process per container (okay, you can probably run more with screen, but thats not the purpose of it). This means you need multiple Containers if you want to run a dedicated Website (one Container) and the corresponding Database has to run in a second Container.

This isn't exactly accurate. You can run an entire LAMP server in a docker container. Best practices say don't do it, but you can quite easily.

• I have not doubted that, but it is not designed for that. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hello,

I have an HP microserver with 16GB of server memory and 6x4TB raid 5 (one is kept for a hotspare).
    I plan to run virtual machines from this setup but I'm unsure of the performance of running VMs on the raid. For those that have tried or are doing it, I would appreciate your input. I plan to run PFSense and maybe one other lightweight virtual machine.

• Would you recommend it?
    • Was the performance of the VM(s) satisfactory?
    • What VMs were you running? This is important as some systems are resource hogs compared to others.

I use raid 10 for write performance over raid 5 since I spin up a lot of test VMs frequently. If your VMs are not going to be doing a lot of writing then raid 5 should be fine for you. PfSense for example as you mentioned should be fine on raid 5 since it would be doing more reading than writing. I am happy with my VMs using VirtualBox on OMV. They perform as expected. Just offering my 2 cents. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!