2 new HDD. Full expansion of RAID set (all at once, one at a time), or save a drive for a rainy day

• Looking for input. I have 6x3TB RAID-6. I have 2 new 3TB drives coming in next week. I see the following options.

1 - Install them both at the same time, grow the array to 18TB. Probably slower expand/rebuild time, only one rebuild.
    2 - Install them one at a time, grow the array to 15, then 18TB. Might be marginally faster, extra drive in case rebuild fails on first go, two expand/rebuild processes.
    3 - Install a single drive, expand to 15TB. Save the 3rd for when a drive decides to go belly up (or install it and mark it as a backup/recovery/whatever drive).

Currently I'm at ~92% full on the array. Using about 65-70GB per month, so one additional 3TB drive should last me more than a year at this point before I need to grow/expand again.

I hate the expansion/rebuild process, I get so paranoid all that writing is going to kill a drive. Thoughts, suggestions? WWOMVD? :)

Thanks!

• Expansion is allways risky. I would expand with one disk and let the other be cold spare.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks for the input! Sounds like solid advice. Any benefit to leaving it cold (just in a box on the shelf), vs hooking it up and marking it as a spare? I can't seem to find the option in the UI now, but I thought before you add the device to the array you could mark is as a stand-by / spare disk in case the array degraded and needed to use it.. maybe I just dreamt that up. :)

• Cold spare may live longer vs. hot-spare jumps in the exact moment one drive dies.

Your decision.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Cold spare may live longer vs. hot-spare jumps in the exact moment one drive dies.

Your decision.

Greetings
    David

Thanks again! Final decision was to order 3 drives.. expand the array with 2 drives to hold me over for the next couple of years. One drive will be cold spare. That's it for this array, no more expansion.

I think by the time I fill up the remaining 6TB, I should be planning a complete replacement of the array anyway (hopefully with 6TB or even 10TB drives by 2016).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!