A "proactive" question. Moving disks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A "proactive" question. Moving disks

A question about RAID with OMV.

Assuming:
      • A motherboard "Brand A"
      • One disk for OMV
      • Some disk in RAID
      • RAID managed by OMV (and not from hardware controller, motherboard, etc).
      If I wish to install a new motherboard "Brand B" probably I will have to reinstall OMV because the hardware is changed.
      How I can save the configuration about users, groups, shared folders, etc?

Above all, how I can move the disks in the new NAS?
      Or should I have ready an updated backup?
      In this case, how can I restore the rights of the users?
      Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbup:
      ==============
      1 USB Stick Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (USB 3.0 90MB/s Read - 30MB/s Write)
      2 HDD WD Blue 320GB RAID2
      4 HDD WD Green 1TB RAID5

My jobs:
      EOLO. Internet Wireless in Italy
      Upgrade Labs
    • In most cases you won't have to reinstall.

Greetings
      David
      "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
      #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
      Absolutely no Support via PM!

I host parts of the omv-extras.org Repository, the OpenMediaVault Live Demo and the pre-built PXE Images. If you want you can take part and help covering the costs by having a look at my profile page.
    • I always reinstall the OD when I make a motherboard change. So usually that means setting up users and permissions again (not a big deal on my setup). The raid.. You just remount it after you have reconnected the drives.

I know people squak at the he OS occupying an entire disk.. There are some advantages.
      Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• May I just quickly phone in on this? I hope you don't mind ...

I'm currently running OMV 0.5.53 with two 4 TB WD Greens in a Mirror-RAID (alias RAID1). This has been running clean fo the last couple of months now.
      However that Build is based on an ancient P4 3 GHz and is far from being energy-efficient and I am constantly turning that on and off to save energy.
      So I built a new one based on the Supermicro X10SBA board (intended for 24/7 use).

Now the thing is: While it was still a system with no drives I looked at some other alternatives to OMV.
      FreeNAS was a pain. Took me an entire day just to finally boot a running system.
      Right now I have a headless Ubuntu 14.04 running and I already did a lot of configuration - and so far I really like the minimalism of the SSH CLI, and nothing more.
      Now, don't get me wrong: OMV is amazing, but this is also a chance for me to finally develop some linux skills.

The drives are still in the OMV rig right now.
      After figuring out that I actually had to be sudo in SSH to even use mdadm (otherwise I only got "-dash: mdadm not found"), I kinda confirmed for myself that the RAID is running with mdadm.
      So, hypothetically:

I could just plug the drives into the new system and re-mount them with mdadm under Ubuntu?
      I would really love to do that without having to copy all the data back and forth.

In an attempt to fix that Head-parking issue of the WD Greens I already plugged them in in the new rig, because I got a bunch of errors trying to install idle3ctl in OMV. While in there, fdisk reported missing partitions on the two drives. They work flawlessly back in the OMV system ... is that normal? :P
    • You can just use them in any other system that supports mdadm.

By the way, you will learn that many things will require root rights if you want to do things with your hardware. This is to protect your hard disks etc.
      Oh and you "aren't" sudo. It is "substitute user do" and means you do something with another user, in your case with the root user.

Greetings
      David
      "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

I host parts of the omv-extras.org Repository, the OpenMediaVault Live Demo and the pre-built PXE Images. If you want you can take part and help covering the costs by having a look at my profile page.
    • Alright thanks, that is good to hear!

About that sudo/su stuff:
      That far I knew actually, I probably just put the "..do" too much.
      What confused me was that I could not only not execute mdadm - I actually couldn't see it without being root.
      On the fresh Ubuntu install I usually run into some permission errors midway, and then I know it's time to put a sudo in front.
      Not so with OMV: sudo mdadm -D /dev/... simply said the above: ".. not found" instead of saying "permission denied" or anything of the sort. That had me worried as in "what if the raid does not use mdadm at all?". That's how my question arose.

Anyway, that shall not be the topic of this thread and I regard my question as answered, thanks!

- Anton
    • Thats because OpenMediaVault does not use sudo! You have to change to the root user instead, if you're not already logged in with root.

Greetings
      David