System security

• I put this here because I didn't find a more relevant sub-forum. If this is wrong, please move it!

I thought I'd make this post as someone new to OMV and Linux in general, with some questions (and advice) about protecting your system as much as you can. If the system is connected to the internet, I understand there's no 100% method, but it would be nice to protect oneself as much as possible. Some of this will be SO OBVIOUS to some people, and completely eye-opening for others, it just depends on your proficiency, experience and knowledge.

For the sake of this post, let's assume the people reading it are new and inexperienced, so we should approach things from the ground up, and not assume anything is known.

General rules of note:
    Most people using OMV are going to have it connected to a router/modem at some point, in order to reach the internet. If this is the case, and especially if your OMV is left on 24 hours a day, it's a good idea to protect it from being accessed by unwanted parties in some way. If you want to access this externally (from outside your LAN), you need to be a little more careful than if you are just accessing internally. You will also see notes and posts all over the forum about setting up USERS, each with specific access rights to certain things, mostly which you can choose. For example you may have two folders that you create, one with important items and another with items you want to share with others. You could than grant a specific user access to one folder or not the other.

Some questions (I will update this post with the most relevant answers in the hopes it will help people):

1. Based on the above, if you are hoping to access your OMV from outside your LAN, what are the best safefy precautions to take? It's probably safe to say that forwarding a port to your OMV webgui from your router so that you can access your webgui from anywhere is unsafe. What would you suggest is the safest reasonable way to achieve this?

2. Some people have other apps installed, beyond basic ones provided by OMV. Some of these apps have their own webgui for management, such as SickBeard or HTPC manager. What's the safe way to access these without exposing your system too much?

3. There appears to be several methods of using VPN at the moment. If you are using OMV 0.5 (Sardaukar), there is an omv-extras plugin. If you are using the as yet unreleased OMV 1.0 (Krazilec), there are two at the moment. What is the best way to implement this at the moment (on either 0.5 or 1.0)? I have seen a simple script HERE: http://peterjolson.com/super-e…config-on-openmediavault/
    Has anyone tried this and is it safe?

4. Some people have had their OMV's hacked into. This can be down to a poor root password, easily guessed or bypassed. What's a good way to protect yourself, other than a much stronger root password? There is some discussion about using DENYHOSTS in order to prevent scripts/hacks more often, or at least deter. Is this a good idea, or is there something better for a similar effect?

Once again, to many of you seasoned people out there, a lot of this is second nature to you! But not obvious to (dare I say it) most people. I hope we can make some kind of useful security thread (or even subforum if it's worth it).

• If this is the case, and especially if your OMV is left on 24 hours a day, it's a good idea to protect it from being accessed by unwanted parties in some way.

If the NAS is behind a Router there is absolutely 0% need for any security additions on the NAS. In this simple Scenario the Security has to be done at the Router.

If you want to access this externally (from outside your LAN), you need to be a little more careful than if you are just accessing internally.

Yes. But the question is, do you need it to be accessable from the outside or is this just "playing around". The normal User does not need to access anything, besides something like OwnCloud, from the outside. Neither the WebGUI nor SSH!

1. Based on the above, if you are hoping to access your OMV from outside your LAN, what are the best safefy precautions to take?

The best? Don't open it to the outside. The Second best? Use passwords that cannot be guessed, use SSL, use custom Ports, use Client based Certificates.

It's probably safe to say that forwarding a port to your OMV webgui from your router so that you can access your webgui from anywhere is unsafe.

Yep. Especcially if you blindly open it via HTTP/Port 80...

What would you suggest is the safest reasonable way to achieve this?

Safest way? Not dooing it at all as there is simply no reason to be able to access your WebGUI from the internet. Second safest way? Use SSL. Maybe even with client based SSL certs! Tough not supported by the GUI, but hey since you have the need to access your WebGUI from the outsides you probably are a Geek anyway and know how to deal with that type of stuff anyway...)

2. Some people have other apps installed, beyond basic ones provided by OMV. Some of these apps have their own webgui for management, such as SickBeard or HTPC manager. What's the safe way to access these without exposing your system too much?

I could go on and on, you don't exposed them to the internet. But maybe you have a really good reason, then: Enable Authentication on them and activate SSL/HTTPS.

What is the best way to implement this at the moment (on either 0.5 or 1.0)?

On 0.5: The OpenVPN Plugin. (I'm not sure right now, but I think the OpenVPNAS Plugin was backported to 0.5 too, then OpenVPNAS is the easiest way.)
    On 1.0: The OpenVPNAS Plugin (easiest) and the OpenVPN Plugin.

I have seen a simple script HERE: peterjolson.com/super-easy-ope…config-on-openmediavault/Has anyone tried this and is it safe?

I wouldn't use it. Use the Plugins instead.

4. Some people have had their OMV's hacked into.

Yes, but this was due to a specific type of software which was vulnerable - by the way one of the reasons no application should be run with root rights. This application probably attacked the root account of the system and got a hit on some systems were easy passwords for the root account were used.

This can be down to a poor root password, easily guessed or bypassed.

The first, and the second - but only in the case I mentioned above. The root account could only be pypassed if an application itself is vulnerable and run as root user; therefore never run any application as root!

What's a good way to protect yourself, other than a much stronger root password?

Don't open SSH to the internet. Most users don't even need to have SSH activated in there local network. If there is a need for SSH then use a hard and unguessable password for it, or even better, use Server-Client-Certs with a passphrase.

There is some discussion about using DENYHOSTS in order to prevent scripts/hacks more often, or at least deter. Is this a good idea, or is there something better for a similar effect?

Don't. Open. Your. NAS. To. The. Internet. At. All.

But thats probably not gonna work as you at least want to be able to access your NAS via OwnCloud or similiar. Then again of course, use the bests passwords you have to offer in combination with SSL etc.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!