Automatic DHCP config. failed

• Hey.

I recently posted about my problem with OMV not recognizing my onboard network card. I then got the handy tip to just use an external one.

After isntalling my ext. nw-card the installation went fine to the point of the automatic network configuration. The configuration for dhcp failed.

I do have the option of manually configuring my dhcp-server but honestly I have no idea what I'd have to do to get that to work since I have no data whatsoever to put in to the required fields.
    The cable comes directly from the modem that my internet provider installed.

Any ideas how to solve this ?

Thanks beforehand.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It still sounds like your NIC isn't getting working properly, because virtually every router out there has DHCP enabled by default (unless you or someone else has changed this).

Personally, here is what I would do. Keeping in mind that OMV 1.0 is still beta, however it has been stable for me.. and you should have a working NIC through all this.

1. Make sure the only hard drives connected to your NAS is the drive you intend to install OMV to. In other words, disconnect any other hard drives, etc.. other than the drive you're installing to.
    2. Remove the external NIC, and make sure your ethernet cable is connected to the internal NIC.
    3. Download the Debian 7 netinst ISO. This version of the Debian installer has the new kernel, which should recognize your motherboards NIC no problem. Here's a link to the 64bit Netinst Torrent http://cdimage.debian.org/debi…amd64-netinst.iso.torrent
    4. After putting the ISO on a CD or USB, install Debian 7. During the install, you should just be able to take the default answer to all the questions. When you come to the part where it asks you what packages to install, uncheck everything (use the arrow keys and space bar)
    5. Once the install is complete, you should be able to log in to the machine at the Console using root as the username, and the password you set up during the installation process

Type the following commands one at a time:

Code
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public Kralizec main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

Once that is done, reboot the NAS by typing reboot. Once the NAS reboots, you should see an IP address in the title screen (192.168.x.x).. Use a web browser on your network to go to that IP address. Log in to the webUI using the username admin, password openmediavault. Once you know it's all working properly, shut the NAS down, and connect your storage drives.

• Hey.
    Late reply. Just came out of holidays.
    Mr. R2D2 (can't remember name atm) already was so kind to advise me to try it with the wheezy netinst. That however didnt cope with my internatl NIC either...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!