Debian backport is an option for newer plugin packages

• I have run into a few problems testing plugins on arm devices. This is completely understandable given that I am probably one of the first people to run OVM 1.0.8 + plugins on a arm device on a daily basis. I have seen a lot of let's try to get OMV going on a Raspberry PI, but not too many in depth questions.

I am a big fan of latest and greatest. My desktop is running Debian Jessie. My Laptop is running Ubuntu 14.10. My router is running openwrt Barrier Breaker.

With that being said, I am cautious about projects which do too much too fast. As I understand it, the primary moving pieces in the version bump from .5 to 1.X are:
    1. Rebasing core on wheezy.
    2. Enabling OMV to run on any hardware on which wheezy.
    3. Stabilizing the plugin infrastructure.

Individually these are each huge step! Together, they may raise user and developer frustration to unproductive levels.

One suggestion to reduce frustration (with the slight cost in reduced speed of progress) is to use debian backports rather than self package.

Cons: Debian backports are not at the bleeding edge.

Pros: Reduce work packaging by building on upstream.
    Increase the debugging pool to all backport users from omv users.
    Leverage Debian's development and testing resources across a wide variety of machine types.

In terms of implementation, backports look like a good fit for ovm plugins, because they are not installed by default. Instead, one cherry picks individuals package via.

Code
    apt-get -t wheezy-backports install "package"
  • I am a big fan of latest and greatest. My desktop is running Debian Jessie. My Laptop is running Ubuntu 14.10.

With that being said, I am cautious about projects which do too much too fast.

So you're running Debian Jessie, but you are cautious about projects which do too much too fast? Can't have both...

As I understand it, the primary moving pieces in the version bump from .5 to 1.X are:
    1. Rebasing core on wheezy.

Done. All quirks that we're encountered by the beta testers are already fixed.

2. Enabling OMV to run on any hardware on which wheezy.

I won't let that count as a Major Point. I know you mean the change from apache2 to nginx, but OpenMediaVault was capable of running on any Squeeze platform before, so thats no point. The use of nginx just makes it faster on low powered systems.

3. Stabilizing the plugin infrastructure.

Also, not a big point because as far as I know those were only minor changes that took care of how plugins are installed.

One suggestion to reduce frustration (with the slight cost in reduced speed of progress) is to use debian backports rather than self package.

For core Plugins, this won't happen, as Volker will not build upon backports. For 3rd party Plugins this may be discussable.
    But: How many plugins use self packaged? What happens with these self packaged plugins that switched to backports, the moment backports stops getting new 'backports' - and we don't switch to Jessie on that timeframe?
    On the other hand, i.e. for plex: people wan't to have the latest version available, just like xbmc. If you now switch them to backports (I'm not even sure if plex is in the debian repo) you will be stuck with older versions for those appplications, where newer versions could improve a lot.

Cons: Debian backports are not at the bleeding edge.

Well... thats the whole philosophy of Debian, to be stable, and not bleeding edge. With the Plugins we do a tightrope walk between beeing stable and having bleeding edge plugins.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!