Slow external USB3 xfer speeds from OMV

• Hi everyone.

In preparation for wiping my ext4 filesystem, installing Kralizec and re-creating the filesystem, I purchased 2 x 5TB USB 3 drives so that I could backup my data.

I'm seeing very slow transfers from my array (RAID6 / ext4) to the USB drive. Attempting to move 2.5TB has thus far taken over 12 hours (still running). The destination USB drive is ext4 as well. It's plugged into a USB3 port. For the transfer, I'm using rsync (rsync -vrh [source] [destination]).

I have about 7 more TB to go after this first run, so I'm wondering if there is perhaps anything I'm doing (or have not done) that might be impacting the speed of this transfer. Any suggestions on speeding it up?

I expected the full backup to take a few days, but give that it's roughly going to be 16-17 hours for 2.5TB, something doesn't seem right there. (FWIW, these are movies.. large files, between 1GB-10GB each).

• Offizieller Beitrag

What kernel is the system running currently? It may not support usb3 fully and you would probably get faster speeds plugging it into a usb2 port.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What kernel is the system running currently? It may not support usb3 fully and you would probably get faster speeds plugging it into a usb2 port.

Ahh, very good point!

# uname -r
    2.6.32-5-amd64

Also, not sure if it matters, but I am running rsync inside of a screen session, so that I can detach and log off.

Edit - I'll cancel rsync, unmount the drive and move it to USB2, and see if that works faster.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Pretty sure the 2.6.32 kernel doesn't support usb3 so moving to usb2 should help.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Thanks.. one more reason to use the wheezy base I guess! :)

Out of curiosity, is it a complicated procedure to upgrade to a later kernel with the standard sardaukar install? Since I'm going to be re-installing wheezy + kralizec after this backup is done, it's not the end of the world if some features break, as long as the file system and mdadm are OK. It just looks like USB 2 speed with 7 TB = 40 hours. USB 3 speeds = ~ 6 hours.

Edit- I suppose I could try on a VM first.. :P

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you click the install backports kernel button in omv-extras, it is very easy. That will give you the 3.2 kernel (same as standard Wheezy kernel) which should support usb3.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!