Need guide setting up desktop environment on top of OMV

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Need guide setting up desktop environment on top of OMV

Hi,

I am currently using a laptop as NAS machine but it would be best if it works as an emergency backup computer too.
      So I want to know if it is possible (since OMV is debian-based) to install a desktop environment on top of OMV. :)
      Hardware configurations
      CPU: Intel Pentium T4400 @2.20 GHz
      RAM: 3GB
      HDD:350GB HGST Travelstar

Pretty much just an old laptop :D
    • Installation of OpenMediaVault 1.x on Debian 7.x (Wheezy)

Pre-Requirements
      A installed Debian 7.x (Wheezy)
      If you want to do a fresh install, then use the Debian Wheezy 7.6 netinst image. Please make sure, that all options are unchecked, when asked for packages.

Install your preferred Desktop enviroment now

OMV-Install
      Install OMV on top of that by:

Source Code

1. echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
      2. apt-get update
      3. apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
      4. apt-get update
      5. apt-get install openmediavault
      6. omv-initsystem

Please restart your System with

Source Code

1. shutdown -r now

and you should be able to login to OMV via you Browser with
      User: admin
      PW: openmediavault
      Please change your PW over the WebGUI after logging in.

Please read the Wiki
      "Glowing days. Don't cry because they are over. Smile because they happened." - Confucius

Server: 1x 32GB SSD (system) - 5x 2TB Data - 1x 2TB Snapraid-Parity - latest OMV 1.x
      No Support through PM
      Tutorials --- Howto install OMV-Extras --- Upgrade/Update-Problems --- If autoshutdown doesn' -work
    • You can do this.. but honestly, the easiest thing is to just do a full install of Debian Wheezy Desktop Edition, then add OMV to that. While you can add a GUI to OMV.. I've done it before and it can be a bit tedius.

I wouldn't think Download speed would be affected.. but overall system performance might be affected (webUI response times, etc..) due to the fact the GUI processes will be taking up some of the CPU.

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• Not yet. Easiest way is to backup your config.xml and look through it while configuring OMV again. After the reinstallation with detached drives, plug them in and just mount them again. Then you have to recreate the users and shares and reconfigure the services again. - thats all :)
      OMV stoneburner | HP Microserver | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD for system | 4x 2TB in a RAID5
      OMV erasmus| Odroid XU4 | 5TB Data drive | 500GB Backup drive
    • KM0201 wrote:

You can do this.. but honestly, the easiest thing is to just do a full install of Debian Wheezy Desktop Edition, then add OMV to that. While you can add a GUI to OMV.. I've done it before and it can be a bit tedius.

I'm planning to install it this way, once I have the Wheezy Desktop Edition running do i just need to install OMV on top like this?

Source Code

1. Source Code
      2. echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
      3. apt-get update
      4. apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
      5. apt-get update
      6. apt-get install openmediavault
      7. omv-initsystem

Is there an efficient way to "kill" the desktop enviroment when not used or just not start it untill need it?

Thanks!
      Rodo
    • peladovii wrote:

KM0201 wrote:

You can do this.. but honestly, the easiest thing is to just do a full install of Debian Wheezy Desktop Edition, then add OMV to that. While you can add a GUI to OMV.. I've done it before and it can be a bit tedius.

I'm planning to install it this way, once I have the Wheezy Desktop Edition running do i just need to install OMV on top like this?

Source Code

1. Source Code
      2. echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
      3. apt-get update
      4. apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
      5. apt-get update
      6. apt-get install openmediavault
      7. omv-initsystem

Is there an efficient way to "kill" the desktop enviroment when not used or just not start it untill need it?

Thanks!
      Rodo

Yup... That'll work fine.
      Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.