Fresh Install - Will I run into many issues putting OMV on Ubuntu 14 server?

• Hello All,

I have used OMV for a few months on a dated desktop, and now I finally got a better server to use for my house and I want to get it set up well for OMV. I know OMV is designed on debian, but will it work on Ubuntu 14? Will I have issues installing it via Apt-Get?

The reason I was leaning toward Ubuntu 14 is I want a webserver on it with Apache 2.4 & PHP 5.5 and it seemed easier to go for Ubuntu over debian since they are standard on 14. I am definitely a Linux novice and I want to go the easier route, so am I correct that it will be easier getting OMV up and running smoothly on Ubuntu 14 compared to backporting Apache 2.4 and PHP 5.5 to Debian?

All advise & suggestions are appreciated!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You will have lots of problems. Ubuntu is not Debian and OMV is very specific to Debian. Also, OMV 1.0 uses nginx instead of apache. If you are novice, I don't know why you need apache 2.4 and php 5.5. apache 2.2 and php 5.4 will work just fine.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could ubuntu 14 in a virtual machine on OMV using the virtualbox plugin.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use it for my production server at work. I have my svn server (debian wheezy) and database server (win2k3 server) running as VMs. I used to have my email server (ubuntu 12) running as a VM as well.

You can create snapshots of the VM. So, if you are experimenting and it messes up something, you just just roll back to the snapshot. Very handy. Makes backups of the VM easy as well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am going to take your advise. Would you recommend a Debian 7 base and then apt-get install? Also do you recommend the newer beta OMV?

Yes, I recommend Debian 7 and you have to use the new beta with Debian 7. Install minimal netinst wheezy and uncheck all options. Then:

Code
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you just installed, you have all updates installed and it will be empty. Can't update what is already updated :)

• Thanks!

Also the first thing I was setting up was Notifications and after entering mail server details and clicking apply changes I get this message box:

Error #4000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'omv-mkconf nut 2>&1': unable to write 'random state'
    /usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/nut: 120: /usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/nut: bc: not found' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/nut.inc:58
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(180): OMVModuleNetworkUPSTools->applyConfig()
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(158): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(224): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #5 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
    #8 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(501): OMVRpc::exec('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
    #9 {main}

• Offizieller Beitrag

bc is missing from OMV dependencies when install the way you did. So, apt-get install bc. This won't happen when installing from OMV 1.0 media.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Once you get your system configured, make a backup with clonezilla.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sure, it can't hurt :) It won't be a problem when the new ISOs are released because it will be on there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Volker is fast :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!