What's better Greypool or SnapRAID?

• Ok so a quick intro, I’m completely new to the OpenMediaVault OS/NAS setup. I’m currently replacing an Amahi 7 server. My main reasoning is while Amahi was easy to use in the last update from 6 to 7 they decided to start to charge for every little add-on to the system and broke a lot of the add-on that were working before. So I decided to look for a new home NAS setup. I looked at freeNAS, openNAS and some others and decided on OMV. I’ve installed it twice on different systems to see how it ran and play around and now have installed it on my main NAS system, a HP DC4400 Core 2 6600 CPU, 4GB ram, 74G WD 10K Raptor OS drive and 5 750G SATA drives. The OS & 3 750s are on the onboard sata controllers the other 2 750s are on a sata expansion card.

So here are my questions that I need a little help with. I can’t do a raid 5 with all 5 drives since the system will not let me mix the drives from the 2 controllers. On Amahi I had the drives setup as a Greypool array which was ok. I see with OMV I have the option of SnapRAID. What performance/advantages would SnapRAID give me over Greypool? As I understand it buy looking over the setup both of them use Volumes on the drives not the entire drive like a RAID 5 setup would. I know that with Greypool only the directories I choose are duplicated on multiple drives, I’m not sure how SnapRAID works. I haven’t found any real good explanations of how to setup SnapRAID from a completely fresh install. I looked around the forums & wiki but most stuff assumes you either know the system or have a system running and your adding it.

Which leads to my second question., Is there an updated location for Guides & Tutorials? I looked on the new forum and didn’t see it. Only the old forum link is all I can find.

So far I really like the system and think you guys are doing a top notch job getting a system working that’s easy to use. Thanks for the hard work and keep rocking it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should be able to run software raid 5 across two controllers. I have.

What is your goal? Pooling, redundancy, extra backup, or some combination of those? Are you installing OMV 0.5? OMV 1.0 will be released very soon.

greyhole pools drives and allows multiple copies across the drives in realtime.
    snapraid creates parity (allowing failure) just like software raid 5/6 but not in realtime. You choose when to update the parity. aufs or mhddfs can be used to pool the snapraid data drives into one pool.

In my opinion, greyhole is better for smaller files and constantly changing files. snapraid is better for larger files (movies, pics, music) that is relatively static.

All content from the old forum has been moved to the new forum and the links are routed to the new forum.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ryecoaaron,

Thank you for the reply I did get the software Raid 5 working after reading your post. It made me go back and look closer at the BIOS settings on the mobo and expansion card. the mobo was set for IDE not raid. once I switched that in the bios and rebooted I was able to set the raid with all 5 drives in OMV.

My main reason for wanting the raid was redundancy my home NAS houses all my Music, Movies and recorded TV shows that are accessible from multiple PCs, xbox, PS3 and anything else that might be able to play the files. I also backup my wifes PC with the pictures on to it.

How soon are we talking before 1.0 will be out weeks or months?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Weeks. You can install it now if you install debian wheezy and the OMV on top.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Only the old forum link is all I can find.

That was a Global Announcement and they were not be transfered. We are redooing some stuff for the Release, so the Thread will be back soon.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!