miniDlna Thumbnails

• Hi,

I have mindlna working on my OMV box and can access it from my Samsung TV.
    When I browse to a folder of say photos, or videos, the files do not show a thumbnail view of what the photo is.

Its quite frustrating as in any folder there will be many files and photo names such as IMG_200, IMG201 etc and I can't currently preview which photo ( or video) i want to display on the TV.

Is this even possible using minidlna?
    Allshare and other DNLA I run through TV and my windows Laptop shows thumbnails, im hoping so does minidlna.
    I've been searching online but can't find any answers.
    Does anyone here know?

many thanks

• thanks for recommendation.. I already use plex through OMV for movies, ts shows, music etc

what I want to use a plain dlna is for my own files, photos, home videos etc to i can browse whatever folder they are in, readily see the thumbnails and display which ever ones i want. It saves me having to add folders and locations in plex.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The thumbnails with minidlna seem to be more dependent on the client than minidlna itself.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have tested using the Smart TV as client for both minidlna, PlexMedia Server ( dlna part on same OMV box, NOT app) and WindowsPC-Allshare and thumbnails dont work when using the minidlna but do the rest.

Also tested using BubbleUpnP on tablet connecting to the 3 sources above and again the minidlna is the only one that doesnt show thumbs..
    It seems that is more dependent on minidlna?
    Has anyone been able to see thumbs when using minidlna?

I would use plex as dlna however problem I have with plex media server as lna is that the photos only seem to display at 640x480 even though the photo resolution is much bigger

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, I wasn't thinking thumbnails created from the video (which I don't think minidlna does). I was thinking a thumbnail from putting a jpg of the cover in the directory (which does work with minidlna).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• You have to do it manually with minidlna. You put in a cover jpeg and name it folder.jpg. I'm not sure if there ever was an auomated way to get metadata in minidlna. I only use minidlna to serve music. I buy music from Amazon and it comes with the requisite data. minidlna is best progam to serve to Windows Media Player. So it is really just for listening to music while on my pcs. Bubble UPNP is getting the metadata that was stored by the PlexMediaServer. PlexMediaServer is serving it via it's DLNA server.

I looked into the resolution issue. It seems the resolution is limited on the TV's app. Here is a thread that would be of interest to you.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.p…c/71274-photo-resolution/

• Offizieller Beitrag

it's able to recompile minidlna plugin with additional thumbnails support?

You can but we use the version of minidlna from Debian's repos. Too much work to support custom packages and that patch is pretty old anyway.

• Offizieller Beitrag

i'm about the latest version of course,
    i wrote here simply because there is no another theme with this question...
    sourceforge.net/p/minidlna/patches/92/?page=2

do ./configure --enable-thumbnail

I know how to compile and create the package. The problem is that I don't want to have to compile the package for four architectures every time there is a release. You can do that on your own system if you need that feature.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!