Amahi Greyhole to OMV Greyhole

• Hi I have just recently moved from Amahi to OMV, I am in the process of of migrating my greyhole shares over. I have ran into a problem and I hope someone can help.

I have migrated all my shares and they all work apart from 1 the share I cannot get working has a space in the file i.e TV shows I am unable to create a share in the webui with a space in the file name? is there away around this.

The only way I can get greyhole to recognise my TV shows share is by setting up a share manually in the samba config and the greyhole config but then I don't have access to that share under the greyhole UI in the OMV webui and it also seems the manual share I create gets deleted for some reason?

I have tried setting up a share in the webui called TV and point that to my old TV Shows dir but greyhole doesn't seem to like that :(

Can anyone help!!

Edit:With the help of the greyhole team I have renamed my shares see Amahi Greyhole to OMV Greyhole

• It seems I can edit etc/openmediavault/config.xml and add the space in the share name and that updates the webui with the correct share.Is there any side effects of doing it that way? Will a space in the share name cause problems later on?.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Most linux "things" do better without spaces. If you edit it in the web interface, it will probably change back.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I talked to the Greyhole guys on IRC last night and they suggested that I do this.

Zitat

<gboudreau|SL>You need to rename all the TV shows folders to TVshow.
    <gboudreau|SL> There one in the root of each .greyhole
    <gboudreau|SL> And another one in .greyhole/.gh_metastore
    <gboudreau|SL> Then do: greyhole --fsck --dir=/path/to/tvshow/share
    <gboudreau|SL> For the Dir param, use the path to your share as seen in smb.conf

I will do this and update my post with the results just in case it helps someone else.

• Well actually the greyhole guys told me how to fix it they never said anything about not using spaces.They told me how to fix the limitation of omv.

I know this is an old post ( I only really read what you said) fyi the amahi interface I used allowed spaces(that's why I had them) and it worked fine for 3 yrs.

Your post offered no help what so ever thank you WastlJ keep up the good moderation work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The space "limitation" is probably fixed now. I still tell people not to use spaces.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yeah I only used spaces because the UI let me on Amahi I don't generally use spaces on Linux.

Anyway the whole point of this thread was to get help with my greyhole setup not about spaces lol

Ryecoaaron love your work having the omv-extras makes it very easy to setup sickrage, sab and greyhole Thanks :)

• Selmak, Boudreau didn't say it explicitly about the spaces but he is inferring it by this:

Zitat

<gboudreau|SL>You need to rename all the TV shows folders to TVshow.

If you have SAMBA shares on 2 machines you can move data between them with Greyhole. I believe you could add a share from another machine to the pool. Then add a copy to it and all the data from a given share would be copied over to it. On the machine the data is moving to Greyhole does not even need to be on it. Greyhole is pretty cool if you take the time to understand it.

I just looked through all Aaron's plugins. I still think Greyhole is one of my favorites. Our spare time is spent helping people and working on new things that we really don't take the time to enjoy it all.

• I also think Greyhole is great and I really do appreciate the time Aaron puts into making it work.

I don't think Boudreau was inferring don't use spaces he was just giving me the solution to my problem, I have since learned a lot more about Greyhole I have had minimal issues with it.

• Well you can use spaces in linux but it is difficult for most people. I do not know if they will work with the plugins or core OMV.

Say you are in /media/uuid/media

cd /media/uuid/media

You can make the directory TV shows

mkdir 'TV Shows'

notice there was a ' at the beginning and the end of the directory name.
    Then to change directory into the folder
    cd ./TV\ Shows

You can see how this becomes cumbersome. Linux has not really adapted the space thing like Microsoft.
    I have not tested if a folder with spaces in it can be added to SAMBA but I think Volker would design it so this is not possible.

Anyway....

• notice there was a ' at the beginning and the end of the directory name.
    Then to change directory into the folder
    cd ./TV\ Shows

I completely get that > As I said the "only" reason I had a space in the file name was because the Amahi Server UI let me put a space in the share name 3 or so yrs ago when I first got started with Linux.

I posted on here to get help with adding (or a work around) a share with a space in the name to the greyhole OMV ui and all I got was don't use spaces in a file name.

Anyway Thanks :)

• Cool but I think to get it to work in greyhole you need to have the share name match the name of the share in the .greyhole folder on the root of the drives. i.e If I had a folder in the .greyhole named TV Shows the actual share name has to be TV Shows .

Hence the problem I had.

Its the same as when you rebuild your greyhole/samba shares on a new server you have to make the shares the same name as they are in the .greyhole folders.

I normally just recreate my share folder i.e TVshows and point it to my greyhole landing zone folder that already has the folder in it i.e /dev/sdd1/files/TVshows

• Yes, the renaming is what you have to do

Exactly.

It is useful that you can add a folder with a space to a share, It wasn't useful for my case when I was rebuilding my greyhole shares.

Anyway all I wanted from the start was some constructive advice about how to migrate from Amahi to OMV.
    Not get into a debate about having a space in a folder name.

• If you have SAMBA shares on 2 machines you can move data between them with Greyhole. I believe you could add a share from another machine to the pool. Then add a copy to it and all the data from a given share would be copied over to it.

That is exactly what I did here. Gave you advice how to get data to a new machine. After data was moved to the new shares on the new machine you could setup Greyhole on it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!