Shares not writable from Windows - Error "you require permission from Unix User/Root to make changes"

• OMV 1.0

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Shares not writable from Windows - Error "you require permission from Unix User/Root to make changes"

Hello All,

Sorry to ask this, but I tried searching and read a bunch of SMB threads, but didn't see the fix for this problem.

I got a fresh OMV 1.0 install on Debian 7. I have made my Shares and they are all visable on windows PCs on the network, but when I try to write to one of the windows shares I get "you require permission from Unix User/Root to make changes".

I am looking for these folders to be public on my windows network so I have them set to "Guest Only" in OMV. Not sure what Im missing, Im sure it is basic, but I couldn't find the answer yet. What should I check?
    • Post the output of the following command:

Source Code

1. stat /media/UUID/sharedfolder

Greetings
      David
      "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
      #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
      Absolutely no Support via PM!

I host parts of the omv-extras.org Repository, the OpenMediaVault Live Demo and the pre-built PXE Images. If you want you can take part and help covering the costs by having a look at my profile page.
    • Source Code

1. root@vault:/media# stat /media/dd496106-88bd-41b8-a85d-5e9a4f36b3c5/Pictures
      2. File: `/media/dd496106-88bd-41b8-a85d-5e9a4f36b3c5/Pictures'
      3. Size: 36864 Blocks: 72 IO Block: 4096 directory
      4. Device: 811h/2065d Inode: 235208705 Links: 106
      5. Access: (2755/drwxr-sr-x) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 100/ users)
      6. Access: 2014-09-01 19:17:15.794726256 -0400
      7. Modify: 2014-08-31 02:56:16.022280394 -0400
      8. Change: 2014-09-01 09:43:35.241654107 -0400
      9. Birth: -
    • As you created the shared folder it didn't cross your mind that maybe it could be necessary if more than just the owner has write priviliges?

Guests are neither owner, nor group (which can't write either). So what you forgot is to set the permissins to r/w everybody.

chmod a+w /media/uuid/sharedfolder via CLI will fix your problem.

Greetings
      David
      "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
      #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
      Absolutely no Support via PM!

I host parts of the omv-extras.org Repository, the OpenMediaVault Live Demo and the pre-built PXE Images. If you want you can take part and help covering the costs by having a look at my profile page.