Installing OMV1 - is there a current How-to?

• Hi,

I want to do a fresh installation of OMV 1 but I'm not sure how to do it exactly. I know the general steps (first wheezy, then adding OMV1-repos, finally installing OMV1).
    Searching the forum I found this tutorial:
    https://flexion.org/posts/2014…mediavault-on-debian.html

Now is this the exact (meaning paste+copy the commands) way? If so, what does he do with the last lines:

Code
    When the 'Configuring mdadm' dialogue is displayed enter none.
    Do you want to start MD arrays automatically? YES 
    When the 'ProFTPD configuration' dialogue is displayed choose standalone.

Thank you for your help
    fahrer17

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

Western Digital WD Blue SN570

Seagate IronWolf 8TB/WD Red 8TB

AeroCool CS-102

• These are two questions that are asked when you install OpenMediaVault via package repository.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Two? I count three... ;)

And what does it mean, are these the options I should choose?

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Thought mdadm was one. How about you start the installation and see for yourself. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Ok, thanks for your replies, I will try my luck :)

So the tutorial I linked to in the first post will work, right?

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Installation of OpenMediaVault 1.x on Debian 7.x (Wheezy)

Pre-Requirements
    A installed Debian 7.x (Wheezy)
    If you want to do a fresh install, then use the Debian Wheezy 7.6 netinst image. Please make sure, that all options are unchecked, when asked for packages.

OMV-Install
    Install OMV on top of that by:

Code
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

Please restart your System with

Code
    shutdown -r now

and you should be able to login to OMV via you Browser with
    User: admin
    PW: openmediavault
    Please change your PW over the WebGUI after logging in.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von WastlJ ()

• WastlJ, a million thanks to you!

I have a NAS running with OMV0.5 but a friend of mine has a newly built NAS where we want to give OMV1 a try (because I had a little trouble with my network due to e1000e problems). So I searched everywhere trying to get precise information regarding installing OMV1. I found some but wasn't sure about them being still correct (e.g. it's not Debian 7.5 anymore but 7.6 :) )
    Unfortunately neither the Wiki nor the "Guides and Tutorials" pages I found (this one I guess: http://phpbb.openmediavault.or…067930bcf179aa108e1ae5ec7) provided much information concerning OMV1, that's why I asked.
    But now you answered my biggest question - thanks again! :)

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

• Offizieller Beitrag

That will work. An updated version will show in updates after you install that version.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Finished - everything worked like a charm! Well, except that we had to install Debian twice ;)
    But to be honest, it was our fault: Instead of doing a minimal installation we hit the wrong keys while installing and therefore got the standard Debian including desktop etc. With our slow internet connection it took us more than an hour and another trying to update Debain (it seemed like there was something wrong with the Debian servers, couldn't get a connection). Finally we tried it again and were finished within 45 minutes.
    So I had the chance to find out that my questions mentioned above where rather self explaining ^^

My friend's now quite happy with his OMV1 NAS - thanks all to their answers!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

Ok, now I have a question:

When installing Debian we had to create two users, "root" and a "normal" user. The normal user is automaticly detected by OMV as a OMV user, right? Or is there a way to install Debian with only root and without a normal user?

OMV6.x

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G

ASRock B550M Pro4

Crucial DIMM 16GB

AeroCool CS-102

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fahrer17 ()

• I posted about my upgrade going poorly. kids were freaking out over the loss of plex and my wife was upset over her docs being inaccessible on the NFS share, so i went ahead and did a manual debian install (im a centos guy but i managed it) and following the directions above (including the extras repo) i got everything restored. great job to all and thanks for the well written guide.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!