Unable to create shared Folders

• Hi OMV Team,

i finally managed to install OMV 1.0.14 on my DELL T20 and so far everything runs fine as I can say.

Currently I have only a SSD installed.

When I try to create a shared folder, the Volume Dropdown doesn't let me choose any of my partitions. Am I doing something wrong? I created the partitions with debian wheezy (autoformat and separate partitions for tmp, swap, home etc.).

Greetings
    halfdan

• Offizieller Beitrag

It won't let you use an OS partition (/, /home, /tmp, etc). You either need another drive or an unmounted partition. Then create a filesystem in the OMV web interface on that unmounted partition. Then you can create a shared folder.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you set them up when install Debian, you need to alter your fstab and move the files (if any) to the / partition. I would reinstall Debian with just a swap and small root partition. No need to have separate partitions for different directories. Leave the rest of the space for the omv web interface to configure.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• No, it should be fast from point you are currently.

Sure if you could quickly come to my home ;) . I'm not nearly as fit as you in doing such "Kommandozeilen-Stuff". New Installation is running and goes fairly quick and more important easier.

When installation ist done, I would like to take my WD Red out of my old NAS (Synology 213j). Can I simply put them in my T20 and everything is fine, or do I have to do something special.

This time I'm asking first, because erasing is no option ;( .

• If you set them up when install Debian, you need to alter your fstab and move the files (if any) to the / partition. I would reinstall Debian with just a swap and small root partition. No need to have separate partitions for different directories. Leave the rest of the space for the omv web interface to configure.

Hmm, now I have free space at the end of the disk (unformatted) but still I can`t add a disk... what to do now?

I´ve taken a screenshot for your information.

• If the drive is formatted you should see it in the filesystem section. If it is not you will need to create a filesystem. Once there is a filesystem you need to mount it. Use ext4.

• If the drive is formatted you should see it in the filesystem section. If it is not you will need to create a filesystem. Once there is a filesystem you need to mount it. Use ext4.

Hi tekkb,

can I do this in the Webinterface of OMV? If I have to do it in CLI, what do I have to write?

• Hi WastlJ,

a little step by step instruction would be nice. I looked into the wiki and didn't find a way.

Or is it eventually easier to do the formatting/mounting of the free space with a gparted live CD?

• No, it is easiest in the webgui.
    storage/filesystems
    click on create
    select your device and format ext4
    this with it highlighted clickk on mount

• No, it is easiest in the webgui.
    storage/filesystems
    click on create
    select your device and format ext4
    this with it highlighted clickk on mount

Hi tekkb,

I had tried this before. When I click on the dropdown in the window that is popping up after clicking "create" the dropdown is empty and gives me no choice...

• Sorry, you do a wipe in the Physical Disks section. It should show there. Make sure you do the right drive.

Hold it. At top you say you just have SSD. You need 2 disks. SSD for system and then you need a data disk.

• At the moment there ist just a SSD. But it has 256 GB an I wanted to use the space I don't need for OMV as a datapartition. Later on I want to ad the WD Red from my Synology NAS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You definitely don't want to wipe your system disk :)

Boot gparted live or systemrescuecd and create the last partition. Then OMV should be able to see it.

This info isn't in the wiki because it isn't recommended to use the system disk for data.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!