MSI k8n neo4-f
    Amd fx-60
    2gb ocz el platinum
    Tplink GB nic
    1 2tb WD green
    1 1tb WD blue
    1 500gb WD green
    2 250 GB ide drives

Basically built out of spare parts, now the samba problem.

During single file transfers from windows 7 machine to OMV I'm getting 40ish mb/sec via samba, one it becomes a multiple file transfer it drops to 2mb or lower per second, enough to make you want to drink.

Transferring the same files in a batch over ftp gives 40+ mb/sec.

Neither of the speeds is all that fantastic for full GB either net throughout the entire network. Needless to say the samba speed has to increase because I don't really want to go back to nas4free.

Any help would be appreciated.

• My speeds use to drop a while into the transfer, so I tried adding these options to the extra options (from this http://vornoff.wordpress.com/2…fer-rates-of-samba-shares )

Code
    max protocol = SMB2
    max xmit = 65535
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=65535 SO_RCVBUF=65535
    read raw = yes
    write raw = yes
    max connections = 65535
    max open files = 65535

Transfering one file (size 2.7 GB) had the speed of 96MB/s. Transferring 3GB of music files ran at about 30-35MB/s and was declining in speed. Three files at a total of 5.7GB together was about 80-95MB/s. All these transfers were from OMV to my computer though.

I would start with testing the network with iperf and see what speeds you get, it could be a bad router/switch or something else :) You should also check the performance of the drives so you know their limit.

• Hi,

I had the same problem i did test the lan connection and got speeds up to 80 to 90 mbs but the nic i had in the nas was not good so i got 2 more nic's from intell and and pared them up
    now a have no more problems with file transfer.

gr. steel

Cooler Master CM 690 III with 650 watt 80+ gold power supply
    AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    5 x 2 TB WesternDigital red harddrive in raid 5
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....
    don't be afraid of learning it can be fun

• <update>
    I have tried all 3 nics, basically all have about the same response.

I tried the above samba conf change, restarted samba service, seems to be the same situation.

So to aid in diagnostic below is a rough network diagram. I know this may not be the right place for network diagnostics, but I'd really like to get to the bottom of this.

If anybody would care to chime in with the next idea I would appreciate it.

• You hop through three switches, alltough I doubt they could interfere, rule it out by going over just one switch instead.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I've now tried transferring the same files with the win7/ubuntu laptop connected to the wd switch with the omv machine, and tried a set of 4 different network cables in multiple combinations to come to the same results. Frustrated but not giving up yet.

• Are you copying small or big files?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• if your switch is smart enough to have a web interface check the ports for errors/crc errors.

To rule that out connect your workstation (set up with static ip) directly with the omv box (also with static ip)

edit: try out iperf to check your network speed

client: iperf -c <ipaddressofserve>
    server: iperf -s

https://iperf.fr

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV 5
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc ZFS pool, SSD Boot with other NAS system

• Ok, so I tried tonigh and my down speed seemed reasonable (40MB/sec) upload was about 30MB/sec on single 1.5 GB files

Now on a lot of smaller files, it starts off at around 1.5MB/sec, goes up to 14MB/sec, mow 5 minutes in its down to 2.1MB/sec and slowing down.

iperf gave me the following

Processes as as follows

cpu usage now shows 100% while transferring which seems strange for a FX-60, the old P4 2.8 could handle it all day long, but the mobo was getting sketchy.

In searching a little more I found this is the syslog

• Hi,

It sounds like you have traffic problems is it possible to test out the connection to the OMV box as a stand alone connected to ONLY your work computer ?

gr. steel

Cooler Master CM 690 III with 650 watt 80+ gold power supply
    AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    5 x 2 TB WesternDigital red harddrive in raid 5
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....
    don't be afraid of learning it can be fun

• Sorry about the delayed response, I'm currently reinstalling on another machine to take its place, its a higher powered machine as it is, but still has the same hard drives and 1 of the same nics, so in a few hours (after some formatting and configuration) I will test again and see if it is a network issue, software issue, or hardware issue.

• set it up a while ago with an RC i believe. didnt think about it too much until now when i also had really slow speeds using CIFS/SAMBA.

turns out i changed my local dns while ago, changed in OMV and bam i got fast speeds again.

can it be something like that?

• Guys,

I'm using max protocol = SMB2 for Windows 10, and my read speed increased a little bit.
    I wonder if OMV 2.0 supports max protocol = SMB3 or not.

Thanks.

Code
    ii  libwbclient0:amd64                  2:3.6.6-6+deb7u5              amd64        Samba winbind client library
    ii  samba                               2:3.6.6-6+deb7u5              amd64        SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix
    ii  samba-common                        2:3.6.6-6+deb7u5              all          common files used by both the Samba server and client
    ii  samba-common-bin                    2:3.6.6-6+deb7u5              amd64        common files used by both the Samba server and client

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!