PFSense NIC config help

• Hello,

I have VirtualBox running on my OMV setup and want to have PFSense replace my router. I'm having trouble getting PFSense to pick up my IP from my ISP; even though OMV can see it in the network settings. I've tried all sorts of network settings in VB with no help. Has anyone installed PFSense using OMV + VB? If so, I'd appreciate your help.

My setup:

HP Microserver
    1xLAN from Microserver: OMV is getting IP from this port
    Dual NIC: I had one port for the WAN connection and the other was to be used for internal traffic (DHCP)

• Under network make sure you use bridged adapter and the your nic name is the same as the bare metal machine. So if the machine you have virtual box on is eth0 make the vm eth0, if it is eth1 make the vm eth1.

• Under network make sure you use bridged adapter and the your nic name is the same as the bare metal machine. So if the machine you have virtual box on is eth0 make the vm eth0, if it is eth1 make the vm eth1.

Yup; got that part covered. But the NIC isn't active (no link activity) unless I assign an IP to it in OMV. Does that make sense?

• I would try dhcp first. Are you not getting any activity with that?

Put in dns servers:
    Primary should be ip of your router
    for Secondary use 8.8.8.8

I have not used PFsense but because it is a firewall I think you need 2 NICs. Internet/Modem/NIC//PFsense/NIC/LAN.
    I think in a vm it is only good to take a look and get a feel for it.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tekkb ()

• I'm still having problems getting into the web console. Perhaps we can start from the beginning.

Here's my current setup

And here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

So, I guess I need to find out:
    When I static assign my local LAN in OMV
    When I configure the LAN and WAN port for PFSense within the console (not the webgui).

• So,
    1. you have to bridge in vbox (Settings - Network - Adapter1) eth0 (NAS nic) and em0 (pfSense LAN)
    2. you have to bridge in vbox (Settings - Network - Adapter2) eth1 and em1 (pfSense WAN)
    Settings nic as on my screen same for Adapter1 and Adapter2, just select correct NAME

• So I am up and running with the exception of the WAN. I have a cable modem so the PPPoE won't work for me. I've tried a few settings within the WAN configuration menu but I can't get internet to work

I have a static assigned IP for this connection in OMV as 10.0.10.1

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!