WD MyCloud

• Hi together. Great Work. Thanks to make OMV working on WD Devices.

Until now I had OMV running on x86 computers. Now I want to mod my WDMyCloud because original Fimrware sucks. No my questions:

- latest Autoinstallrelease is 1.16a --> Is there any benefit to upgrate it to a newer version? (all my x86 run on OMV3/jessie)
    - if yes, which is the best way to upgrade?
    - on original WDMyCloud Firmware it is anoying to me that the drive/hdd keeps on starting again and again over the day. I want to reduce that and put the DLNA Libary not to the disk (as you tell in the txt files). I would put it on a USB Disk. Are there any bad experiences with that?
    - is the CPU Power of the WDMyCloud good enough to build up a TVHEadend Server in OMV? On my PCs with OMV I use a DVB-C Stick. Since the WDMyCloud is running 24/7 I would like to use the WDMyCloud as TVheadend server.
    - now the most stupid question: How do I identify my WDMyCloud as a V1 or a V2?! I have the single drive 4tb Version.

Thanks!!!!
    Michael

• Hello,

I hope that someone can help me.

How can I reinstall OMV on my WD MyCloud Gen2?
    I do not think that it is sufficient to delete the omv folder ...

So what i have to do to re-(fresh) install omv on WD?

• Offizieller Beitrag

apt-get purge openmediavault
    apt-get install openmediavault

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Damn it works only to the reboot, afterwards the server or I believe rather the hardware clock had again the same time.

Code
    root@mycloud-8tb:/etc# date
    Thu Jan  1 01:09:47 CET 1970

So I tried this:
    Edit /etc/adjtime, and change "UTC" to "LOCAL" if you want the hardware clock to be kept at local time instead of UTC.

but after Reboot the Time is old again,

EDIT:

Hwclock can´t used because:
    root@mycloud:/# hwclock --debug
    hwclock from util-linux 2.25.2
    hwclock: cannot open /dev/rtc: No such file or directory
    No usable clock interface found.
    hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.

• Big thanks to Fox_exe for his work to run OMV on WDV MyCloud...

It works for me a long time on a Gen1 with CleanDebian-Jessie and OMV 3.xx.

Code
    root@MyCloud:~# uname -a
    Linux MyCloud 3.2.68 #22 SMP Sat Nov 28 13:38:43 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

But now, I must reinstall the System.
    After installing the OS and an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade the installation of OMV breaks with errors...

If I try to install the missing packages I get an error, that there is no installation candidate fpr php-xxx or more errors for samba...

What is going wrong?

Have someone an idea?

• What is going wrong?

Please check contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list -- mine looks like this:

Code
    root@rock64:/home/rock64# grep -v "#" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list 
    deb https://openmediavault.github.io/packages/ erasmus main
    deb https://openmediavault.github.io/packages/ erasmus-proposed main

I'm on Jessie and your missing dependencies look like you're trying to install an older version than 'erasmus':

Code
    root@rock64:/home/rock64# apt-cache depends openmediavault | grep "php-fpm"
    root@rock64:/home/rock64#
  • Having read this thread I am not sure, whether I understood correctly, since I am totally new to WD MyBook: It is possible to run OMV3 on the cheap, low-spec WD MyBooks?

I don't know the difference between Gen1 and Gen2 (how they look, so I can identify which one I am buying) and whether they sell already Gen3 maybe?! I remember having read something on some forum, that installing alternative firmware has been made difficult in the last firmware revisions?

This is why I want to ask you, whether it is possible to install OMV3 on this MyBook here.

I also want to run Duplicati or urbackup, MiniDLNA, Downloader and Backup. I have them running in a 256MB VM right now for testing purposes and while I only skimmed it and did no stress-test, I have hopes, that it may be enough to run it in a low-demand household.

Thank you.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von amix () aus folgendem Grund: added urbackup mention

• Having read this thread I am not sure, whether I understood correctly, since I am totally new to WD MyBook: It is possible to run OMV3 on the cheap, low-spec WD MyBooks?

It doesn't seem to me, that you really read this thread.Reading the threads title should already answer your question.
    Br
    Jan

• So, I got a My Cloud gen2, single bay now. What I like so much with it, is the fact, that I can use the administrative interfaces (web, ssh) without the harddisk spinning up.

Should I install the Debian for My Cloud project by fox_exe, will it stay that way? Does it install the system on a seperate storage (flash) than the data disk? I read some people are using USB sticks to boot from. I dislike the idea (except for experiments), so my question: Will this Debian system be installed on the flash or does it go onto the main (data) disk?

How large is the flash disk in the gen 2, single bay, 4TB model?

Should it be too small to house the system, I may need to go the USB route anyway, if I want the disk to be a pure storage disk, without any system and administrative function, right?

Thanks.

• Dear, greetings.I am considering installing OMV on my WDMyCloudMirror (GEN1), but I can not run much risk with the device in question, and frankly, I could not determine, in this forum, if all the problems for this particular model have been solved.

So I ask those who have actually installed OMV on WDMyCloudMirror (GEN1), if the device works without problems, or if there is still a bug to be handled.

• Hallo zusammen ich bin neu hier und habe gelesen das einige von euch erfolgreich OMV und DSM auf der myCloud zum laufern bekommen haben

ich habe es selber versucht komme aber nicht so zurecht würde mir jemand da eventuell helfen !?
    mag das auch gerne auf meine wdmycloud haben.

lg
    YY

• Hi folks,
    Two of my WDMCs Gen2 have now been running OMV successfully for more than a year. As I ran out of disk space, I just purchased a new one. It's still one of the "old" ones, looking the same as all the other WDMCs I own, it's not one of the fancy "new" ones (that only work with an active Internet connection - no idea whose idea that was). Still, the file system structure looks a bit different. I just want to make sure that the instructions found here

http://anionix.ddns.net/WDMyCl…Gen2/Debian/_howto_en.txt

will still work with this WDMC.

That's the output of df -h:

Currently, the WDMC is running firmware 2.21.126, the serial number starts with WX21DA6xxxxx.

Can anyone tell me if WDMC is still supposed to work on this device?

• Please check contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list -- mine looks like this:

Code
    root@rock64:/home/rock64# grep -v "#" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list 
    deb https://openmediavault.github.io/packages/ erasmus main
    deb https://openmediavault.github.io/packages/ erasmus-proposed main

I'm on Jessie and your missing dependencies look like you're trying to install an older version than 'erasmus':

Code
    root@rock64:/home/rock64# apt-cache depends openmediavault | grep "php-fpm"
    root@rock64:/home/rock64#

I get the same error. When I check my openmediavault.list contents, I get

Code
    root@wdmc:~# grep -v "#" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main

And yet…

Any suggestions??

Can I install a newer version of OMV? (though I actually don't even understand the problem - though I guess it needs php for the web interface)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!