No volume in create shared folder ?

• Hi,

I just installed OMV kralizec on top of a fresh wheezy install. Everything runs smooth, except when I try to add a new shared folder : The volume list is empty. From what I gathered on the forum, that might be because I only have one drive yet, with a single ext4 partition created by debian, containing the OS. Is it right ? If so, is it really impossible to add a shared folder on a system disk ?

Thx

• Offizieller Beitrag

Impossible, no.

Ill advised? I think so.

You need to boot a partition tool (Gparted, PartedMagic, or any Linux Live CD containing one of these tools)... Shrink the OS partition
    Format the free space as ext3/ext4

Then reboot back to the OMV, and you'll be able to mount the free space partition you made.

• Thank you for the reply. That was what I feared : While it is possible to share a partition on the system disk, it's not possible to share a folder on the system partition. As I'd like not to partition my OS disk, what happens if I manually add a samba share in the smb.conf ? Will it be overwritten by OMV configuration next time I touch the OMV SMB configuration ?

• Yes it will. Why are you feared of partitioning your OS disk?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Well, it's less that I fear than that I find it unconvenient : I host a few web apps on this server and I like to have a samba share to access those files for deployment, maintenance, etc. Either I host everything on the same partition and I lose the ability to access it via a samba drive (my main computer is running Windows, so samba is more convenient than scp), or I have to partition my small SSD and risk of having a hard time because of the space not shared between partitions.
    I have some trouble understanding why this limitation exists on OMV, as I read in the forum that the volume listing function uses blkid, which shows my system partition.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I'm going to think of how I'm going around this problem.

• which shows my system partition.

Because the rootfs is esxcluded from displaying in the WebGUI.

I'm going to think of how I'm going around this problem.

Try ln -s. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Huh? No need to create a partition on the OS drive with that solution. Just symlink your needed folders to a shared folder. (Only CIFS/SMB can follow them, NFS can't!)

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!