Announcement of release date from OpenMediaVault 1.0

• OMV 1.0

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ryecoaaron wrote:

Update is already there - omv-release-upgrade. While I have had plenty of successful upgrades, nothing beats a fresh install.

+++
    I also like to use a different hard drive in case the upgrade fails. Use clonezilla and upgrade the copy. Another option is to make an image and run it in a vm. Then you can still see all of your setting. Ya I know I am paranoid. LOL
    If you make it idiot proof, somebody will build a better idiot.
  • Hi Just done a upgrade of my system with the command provided but i get Internal Server ErrorThe server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

when trying to go to the web gui.
    OMV 3.0.58 - 64 bit - Nut, SABnzbd, Sonarr, Couchpotato
    HP N40L Microserver, 8gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)
  • sektion31 wrote:

Hey,

I hope that this time OMV will get more media attention. Were any (news)websites informed about the release?
    Also, I wanted to mention that the OMV online demo is still Sardaukar based.

There's been a couple of posts in recent weeks of some pretty good reviews of OMV. That review (not really sure I'd call it a review.. more like a first hands on look) on "Linux Unplugged" yesterday, was outstanding I thought. Lot of great comments from the folks reviewing it.

Personally... I think we're probably gonna start seeing an influx of new users. The only hang up for some users is going to be no ZFS/BTRFS support... personally.. I'd rather see the efforts going towards ZFS, be put towards BTRFS, since it is a native Linux filesystem... but I don't plan on using either.. so my opinion doesn't mean much here.
    Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• ryecoaaron mentioned that a zfs plugin is 3/4 done. I can understand that volker didnt want to wait for it, to release kralizec. if 1.0 is the foundation for all future versions based on debian wheezy, then one should not delay it because of a single missing feature. otherwise you can get stuck by delaying forever, because some feature will always be missing.

Is the zfs plugin fuse or zol based by the way?

about btrfs vs zfs: i thought since btrfs is integrated in the wheezy kernels, there is not much to develop for omv to make it available? or will there be gui options available for snapshots and other features? that be cool by the way :)
  • sektion31 wrote:

Is the zfs plugin fuse or zol based by the way?

ZFS on Linux based.

Greetings
    David
    "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

I host parts of the omv-extras.org Repository, the OpenMediaVault Live Demo and the pre-built PXE Images. If you want you can take part and help covering the costs by having a look at my profile page.
  • ryecoaaron wrote:

Update is already there - omv-release-upgrade. While I have had plenty of successful upgrades, nothing beats a fresh install.

So when doing a fresh installation of OMV1, what will happen to my two HDDs containing my data running in RAID1? Are my files save and can I still use my RAID afterwards or will I be forced to wipe, reformate and refill the disks?

Oh, did I say "Thank you" for OMV already...? ;)
    Erasmus 3.0.89

running on

Mobo:Asus H87I-Plus (C2) Socket 1150
    RAM: 4GB (1x 4096MB) Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1600 DIMM CL11 Single
    CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 2x 3.00GHz So.1150 BOX
    PS: 300 Watt be quiet! System Power 7 Bulk Non-Modular 80+ Bronze
    Data: 2x 4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX
    Case: Chenbro SR30169 mini ITX (4 bay) - removed that crappy backplane! :D
    ...............................................................................................
    Ubuntu since 10.04 - learned a lot, but not enough yet...

The post was edited 1 time, last by fahrer17 ().

• fahrer17 wrote:

ryecoaaron wrote:

So when doing a fresh installation of OMV1, what will happen to my two HDDs containing my data running in RAID1?

To put it bluntly... not a thing.

To be on the safe side, disconnect your RAID drives, install OMV to your OS disk, then shutdown and reconnect your Raid drives. Once back up, you'll be able to mount your raid, set up shares, etc.. on the new OS, w/o issue.

• KM0201 wrote:

To put it bluntly... not a thing.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to hear... :D

KM0201 wrote:

To be on the safe side, disconnect your RAID drives, install OMV to your OS disk, then shutdown and reconnect your Raid drives. Once back up, you'll be able to mount your raid, set up shares, etc.. on the new OS, w/o issue.

And that's how I would have done it anyway ;)
    Erasmus 3.0.89

running on

Mobo:Asus H87I-Plus (C2) Socket 1150
    RAM: 4GB (1x 4096MB) Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1600 DIMM CL11 Single
    CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 2x 3.00GHz So.1150 BOX
    PS: 300 Watt be quiet! System Power 7 Bulk Non-Modular 80+ Bronze
    Data: 2x 4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX
    Case: Chenbro SR30169 mini ITX (4 bay) - removed that crappy backplane! :D
    ...............................................................................................
    Ubuntu since 10.04 - learned a lot, but not enough yet...
  • The ISOs take a while to build so they won't always be the most current version. You can easily update to the most current version in the web interface.
    omv 4.1.15 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
  • CaNsA wrote:

latimeria wrote:

Hi all,
    was going to download the 1.0 iso for a fresh install but I cannot understand why on download page there's 1.0.20 version while on webpage it refers to 1.0.21
    some help please?
    thanks

Download the latest v1 iso, then after install do omv-update.

This... Volker packed the ISO before before he released 1.021.. that's all. Install 1.020, then run the update manager from the webUI... and you'll be at 1.021.

• The announcement text has been fixed. It was indeed 1.0.20 which was used to build the ISO images.
    Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit