Windows 7 Pro 64Bits and OMV 0.5.57

• I am new to Open Media Vault and Linux here so I need your help here.

I installed and setup OMV on one of my old Dell Optiplex 755. I also attached the second hard drive 2TB. This drive was partition as ntfs in gparted software.
    I was able to manage fairly easily OMV configuration... however I am stack here because for some reason I can't access 2 folders I setup as shared in OMV from Windows 7 but I can access in Windows XP Pro. In Windows 7 I get error message saying: \\MEDIAVAULT-1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resources. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network address is invalid. but in Windows XP no problem when I browse because the login dial box pop up and ask for username and password and when I entere my credential I created in OMV I have access to these 2 folder.

I have no clue what else I should try to make a work in Windows 7 Pro 64 bits as well? Like I said I am novice here and I am learning to use Linux so please help me. ?(

Please if you need more information regarding my setup please let me know and I do my best to answer to you.

Thank you

Best Regards,

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it works from XP, your OMV box is setup correctly. This is an issue with your Win7 system. Instead of the system name \\mediavault-1, try accessing using the ip address \\192.168.1.x

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It has something to do with how Win7 resolves the name. I am able to use the name on my Win7 systems at home and work. So, it depends on your router config too. I have a static dns entry on my router for my omv box. If you use google's dns server (8.8.8.8) on your win7 system, it may not resolve the name correctly either.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• One more question:

When I setup my box... while installation the OMV I had to enter the IP address; Netmask; Gateway; Name Server and Hostname.

For the Name Server: I enter the ip address 192.168.1.x and for the Hostname I enter MediaVault-1
    Is this settings correct what I should enter? This is what would you enter?

For some reason I think this is causing problem accessing the folder form Win7 system because maybe I enter wrong infromation?

Please let me know

Thank you again.

• Never mind. The Name Server: it means DNS entry and for the Hostname: MediaVault-1 (in my case).

This is not causing as I thought. My Windows 7 system is messed up I don't know why? But I tried from 2 Win7 systems and able to browse by the system name.

Thank you ryecoaaron for your quick replies!

• What router do you use?

I ask because mine, running ddwrt, run a local DNS and everything on my network looks to that before the secondary DNS (google).

All devices on my network can be access via hostname and IP address.

If you could just go ahead and make a plugin for it, that'd be great.
    N54L/4GB/12TB

• You should not use NTFS for data drives on OMV. NTFS should only be used to attach drives temporarily to move data to a drive format like ext4. You will have permission issues, or other issues, with drives formatted as NTFS if you try to use them as a data drives. So it is best to get any data off the drives you wish to use and then format them ext4 for use in OMV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!